Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Rep work getting better, just belted out 85kg x 23 easily but hip and back started cramping

Anyhoo - Hit a very easy 5 x 180kg on deads without a belt, which was my top 3+ set. I then went 200, 210, 215 as jokers and backed off at 140 AMRAP which I could only get for 9 as I was really fucked :lol:

Thought it was as that sounded about right but the whole hips thing made me think squat. But I imagine 85kg x 23 is barely worth doing for you on squat.

I'd probably gas myself out before my muscles failed :lol:

Dropped all accessories today, deload tomorrow and possibly Monday too.

I've made a conscious decision, no more leg work at all for 1-2 weeks until I make some progress with my mobility and flexibility.

My IT band is sooooo tight and my hamstrings are ridiculously tight.

Foam rolling and Agile 11 is painful at the minute like.

I am right though, squatting when this tight is counter productive?

Sounds like a plan I'm weakest off the floor if I can get it to knee hight it'll be comfortable.

Yeah - my general rule of thumb is if you can make it 3 inches off the ground, you are strong enough to lock out, it's just a matter of will power from there. Provided you've chalked up etc'. I can't account for my sweaty palms :lol:

Benched 100kg x 3 on smith machine which is good progression for me, decent workout after that too. Making the most of beginners gainers / improvements

Benched 100kg x 3 on smith machine which is good progression for me, decent workout after that too. Making the most of beginners gainers / improvements
Been kind of flaming myself about using this machine instead of a free bench press - been reading up on it for anybody else who uses smith machine.

Cliff notes: The bar is approx 15lbs not the 45lbs of a normal bar - stabilising muscles in shoulders / other areas not engaged with smith machine. Overall, good piece of kit and still something which is going to make your chest stronger when benching.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112385371&highlight=smith machines

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112560941

Last edited:

Been kind of flaming myself about using this machine instead of a free bench press - been reading up on it for anybody else who uses smith machine.

Cliff notes: The bar is approx 15lbs not the 45lbs of a normal bar - stabilising muscles in shoulders / other areas not engaged with smith machine. Overall, good piece of kit and still something which is going to make your chest stronger when benching.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112385371&highlight=smith machines

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112560941

Mate the Smith machine is of no benefit whatsoever, you need to stay away from that like. It causes more injuries than owt else.

Wheres the best place to get 531 seems the best plan to follow from my research

Think @Charmless Man might still have the PDF I sent him? If not just google Beyond 5/3/1 and it'll show up to download

Mate the Smith machine is of no benefit whatsoever, you need to stay away from that like. It causes more injuries than owt else.

Think @Charmless Man might still have the PDF I sent him? If not just google Beyond 5/3/1 and it'll show up to download
It hasn't caused me any injuries yet - infact i'd say given the limitations it puts on the lift my natural thought would be that'd it would prevent injury? Plus those forums all seem to rate it... still you've been going longer than me so willing to take advice if you specify a bit more?

I'm progressing on it and making improvements in my chest whilst using it as part of routine. Just not really comfortable asking strangers to spot me.

It hasn't caused me any injuries yet - infact i'd say given the limitations it puts on the lift my natural thought would be that'd it would prevent injury? Plus those forums all seem to rate it... still you've been going longer than me so willing to take advice if you specify a bit more?

I'm progressing on it and making improvements in my chest whilst using it as part of routine. Just not really comfortable asking strangers to spot me.

Was just looking for this video that explains it pretty well mate when you've responded. :lol:

The title is misleading as he's explaining that it's not better.

Some of the points you've raised he actually addresses in here. Basically explains why you should avoid the Smith if you have access to a barbell, training your prime movers etc. it's all about avoiding imbalances mate.

If you're new to this you're in a perfect situation to get under the bar and see rapid progress and gainnnnnz.

Back