Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Having trouble with my lower back. It first happened a couple of weeks ago when running and I got a pain in the lower back after about half a mile. My lower back tightens up loads and meant I couldn't run. It's now happening when I squat and after bent over rows. I posted in the running thread and it was suggested it could be a weak core, however my training is mostly compound exercises and I presume this should strengthen my core?

Anyway its getting worse. Does anyone have any tips, could it be poor form, posture, lack of certain exercises? If it is core, would replacing midweek light squats with front squats be a way of sorting this?

Could be tight hammies/hips. Do some mobility work for those and see if they help.

Could be tight hammies/hips. Do some mobility work for those and see if they help.

Any exercise/stretches you recommend? Woke up this morning and my back still has a numbing type pain.

it could be all those things, just do a lighter weight with higher reps For a week or so, then see how you feel.

That's power lifting though, you expose weaknesses and strengthen them but injury is the MOST important thing to avoid because that's what will slow your progress above all other things

I think it could be a weak core as someone else said on the running thread. I tend to lean back aswell in my normal 'stance' putting more pressure on my back so it could also be a posture thing. Just haven't a clue what would be best to help correct it. I'll try front squatting, read that these are good for the core. Failing that think I might just go to the gp and see if they have any ideas what it is. Tried planking but that doesn't seem to help much.

It's not a major pain, unless I run and it tightens up. It's just more of an annoyance.

Last edited:
220kg squat this morning. Will post video later. Going to open with that at next comp.

Any exercise/stretches you recommend? Woke up this morning and my back still has a numbing type pain.

I think it could be a weak core as someone else said on the running thread. I tend to lean back aswell in my normal 'stance' putting more pressure on my back so it could also be a posture thing. Just haven't a clue what would be best to help correct it. I'll try front squatting, read that these are good for the core. Failing that think I might just go to the gp and see if they have any ideas what it is. Tried planking but that doesn't seem to help much.

It's not a major pain, unless I run and it tightens up. It's just more of an annoyance.

Yes mate will post videos when I'm home

Having trouble with my lower back. It first happened a couple of weeks ago when running and I got a pain in the lower back after about half a mile. My lower back tightens up loads and meant I couldn't run. It's now happening when I squat and after bent over rows. I posted in the running thread and it was suggested it could be a weak core, however my training is mostly compound exercises and I presume this should strengthen my core?

Anyway its getting worse. Does anyone have any tips, could it be poor form, posture, lack of certain exercises? If it is core, would replacing midweek light squats with front squats be a way of sorting this?

Does anyone have any flexibility tips for snatch/overhead squat , I seem to be having an epic with shoulder mobility to get into a squat with the bar overhead?

Started my cut yesterday and down 3lbs already in water & food losses etc.

Starting my cut at:

200-220g protein
400-420g carbs
65-75g fat

This is a prime example of why calculators etc should be used as a starting point. If I stuck to what some calculator told me to consume I'd lose a fuck load of muscle and strength pretty quickly.

Does anyone have any flexibility tips for snatch/overhead squat , I seem to be having an epic with shoulder mobility to get into a squat with the bar overhead?
I've had these problems myself. I don't know your background or age, but most gym goers who are either fairly inactive or have been doing 'bodybuilder' type workouts for a number of years simply don't have the flexibility or dexterity to perform these kinds of lifts. I'm going to assume you have already received proper coaching on these lifts, so I'd strongly recommend you get a physio to check you out and advise on any neccessary mobility work, and I'd also highly recommend you check out some stuff by Grey Cook aswell as 'Becoming a Supple Leopard' by Kelly Starrett. Excellent resources.

In the long run, it may also be in your best interests to also get regular massages done, aswell as doing some yoga/pilates as it will benefit your overall mobility/flexibility, more than you can imagine.

In the long run, it may also be in your best interests to also get regular massages done, aswell as doing some yoga/pilates as it will benefit your overall mobility/flexibility, more than you can imagine.

Plenty of resources re: Pilates stretches for hip flexor etc.

http://www.pilatestonic.com/2013/pain-relieving-solo-hip-flexor-stretch-youll-love/

I tried this one and found that I couldn't even place the palm of my hand inside the leading leg. Getting a bit better even after 2 or 3 days but it's re-iterated that my flexibility is shite.

Plenty of resources re: Pilates stretches for hip flexor etc.

http://www.pilatestonic.com/2013/pain-relieving-solo-hip-flexor-stretch-youll-love/

I tried this one and found that I couldn't even place the palm of my hand inside the leading leg. Getting a bit better even after 2 or 3 days but it's re-iterated that my flexibility is shite.
Not a bad site, that.

Nonetheless, again, for the poster with the shoulder mobility issue though, I can't say enough, get checked out by a physio before doing anything. My shoulder mobility issues were down to have insanely tight hamstrings, which subsequently wreaked all kinds of havoc with my posterior chain and ultimately my shoulders. Find the cause, then the solution.

Not a bad site, that.

Nonetheless, again, for the poster with the shoulder mobility issue though, I can't say enough, get checked out by a physio before doing anything. My shoulder mobility issues were down to have insanely tight hamstrings, which subsequently wreaked all kinds of havoc with my posterior chain and ultimately my shoulders. Find the cause, then the solution.

How the body works is mad in an interesting way. The foot bone is connected to the .... leg bone ... the leg bone is connected to the ... hamstring ... the hamstring is connected to the ... shoulder!

My form while doing squats is a bit crap so I'm going to stick to low weights until my flexibility has improved. I don't want to end up as a near cripple when I'm older as I'm already nearly seized up from working at a desk.

I tried sumo deadlifts tonight from seeing Titus other thread.. Only my first go but think I prefer them to normal ones.

5x60kg
5x100kg
5x140kg
5x180kg

Felt like the stance forced my back to stay straight and could feel legs working more than with the other style. 180 is around what I can rep but it felt lighter in this stance. Tried videoing it but can't see anything really as the camera was too close.

Might get back into a full body traditional weight training after f***ing crossfit off a while back. Keep passing jp fitness at spenny. Looks like a no nonsense lifting gym

Poor days training today, felt out of sorts before I even went and my form was shocking on some sets. Think I need to adjust my macros a little as well, I only weigh in once a month, but I've lost 5lbs in July when I should have gained 1 or 2.

People who make you feel really weak:

Signing in at the gym today and a bloke, probably in his late 40s, solidly built but not 'massive' by any stretch of the imagination walks in. The lad at the desk clearly knows him and say "Alright mate, long time no see, where have you been then?" He replies, "Nowhere, I haven't picked a weight up in a year and need to get back into it."

Five minutes later he's at the bench in front of the squat rack I'm using. Warms up with the empty bar for a bit... then proceeds to rep a f***ing three plater for 5, three sets of it :eek:

Year out my arse, I reckon he means a month or something!

I need to eat more food like.

Any questions for a 1,000lb+ squatter? Will be having a sit down with him after training on Monday.

I qualified for the British next month which sill most likely do

Did you compete in the British champs mate? That's if they've happened yet.

Last edited:
Did you compete in the British champs mate? That's if they've happened yet.

Was supposed to be on Saturday just gone, but it got postponed about 12 days before until mid September. Was going to do the GPC in two weeks instead as Bulldog said he could get me in, but can't make it. BPC is now at the 02 at some expo

Back