Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Dan Green deadlifts sumo style in competitions, does he not? Or is that just a really wide stance?

Yeah he competes with sumo. I just haven't done them in a while so wouldn't fancy trying it out at the meet (although I've heard of guys that do that)

Any questions for a 1,000lb+ squatter? Will be having a sit down with him after training on Monday.

I qualified for the British next month which sill most likely do

Well done mate, good luck with it.

Thank you mate, appreciate it.

Big thing is making sure I'm closer to full fitness/health, that alone will add a good few kg to my total.

How have you found Stronglifts?

Thank you mate, appreciate it.

Big thing is making sure I'm closer to full fitness/health, that alone will add a good few kg to my total.

How have you found Stronglifts?

Its been good mate, it was a bit embarrassing at first with such small weights, also gained a great training partner along the way who is very experienced.

Finished on
110kg squat
62.5kg bench
105kg deadlift
62.5kg barbell row
57.5kg overhead press

The only one I was not on track with is still the overhead press, it should have been on 62.5kg, but I have struggled with that from the start and it has always lagged behind the others.

Weight wise I've gone from 14.3 to 15.9, although my waist size has stayed at 34.

Its been good mate, it was a bit embarrassing at first with such small weights, also gained a great training partner along the way who is very experienced.

Finished on
110kg squat
62.5kg bench
105kg deadlift
62.5kg barbell row
57.5kg overhead press

The only one I was not on track with is still the overhead press, it should have been on 62.5kg, but I have struggled with that from the start and it has always lagged behind the others.

Weight wise I've gone from 14.3 to 15.9, although my waist size has stayed at 34.

Is the maxes or 5s mate? Either way that's good progress and I'm glad you have a good training partner; being able to talk to people more experienced than yourself is a massive help

Benched on Tuesday and had a shit session. I hit 115 x 8 paused, but wanted more. To be fair, I largely put this down to the bench at the gym
I was using which was on of the ridiculously padded ones, opposed to one of the firmer competition style. Decided to bench again today and hit 135kg for a double (paused). With less than 48 hours between them, I'm happy with today's session.

One more heavy week before rest week

Finished on
110kg squat
62.5kg bench
105kg deadlift
62.5kg barbell row
57.5kg overhead press

I don't know too much about lifting but a 57.5kg overhead press seems a good lift in comparison to your others. Might just be me but my press is no where near my bench.

Recently found out that one of my clients who won a few PL competitions is now going to men's physique. Lawdy

I don't know too much about lifting but a 57.5kg overhead press seems a good lift in comparison to your others. Might just be me but my press is no where near my bench.

It is tbf

Having trouble with my lower back. It first happened a couple of weeks ago when running and I got a pain in the lower back after about half a mile. My lower back tightens up loads and meant I couldn't run. It's now happening when I squat and after bent over rows. I posted in the running thread and it was suggested it could be a weak core, however my training is mostly compound exercises and I presume this should strengthen my core?

Anyway its getting worse. Does anyone have any tips, could it be poor form, posture, lack of certain exercises? If it is core, would replacing midweek light squats with front squats be a way of sorting this?

A lad at my gym has apparently just won the GBPF juniors and set a new British record in squat for juniors.

Not seen him around like, will have to find him. They posted a video of him on the facebook page and he screams his head off som shouldn't be hard to find.

A lad at my gym has apparently just won the GBPF juniors and set a new British record in squat for juniors.

Not seen him around like, will have to find him. They posted a video of him on the facebook page and he screams his head off som shouldn't be hard to find.

Nice, what was his squat?

Just been advised by Bulldog to sack of next weekend's comp due to how incompetent they've been in putting it together. Still no info on weigh in's etc, wouldn't be surprised if it get's cancelled. He's getting me in to the British with another fed next month, need to check the dates though.

Nice, what was his squat?

Just been advised by Bulldog to sack of next weekend's comp due to how incompetent they've been in putting it together. Still no info on weigh in's etc, wouldn't be surprised if it get's cancelled. He's getting me in to the British with another fed next month, need to check the dates though.

They didn't actually post the numbers but the record was 195kg for his weight class.

They didn't actually post the numbers but the record was 195kg for his weight class.

A junior squatting nearly 200kg is good, regardless of weight tbh (within reason, I imagine he's not a fat fuck).

Glad you're at a gym with strong people mate.

Having trouble with my lower back. It first happened a couple of weeks ago when running and I got a pain in the lower back after about half a mile. My lower back tightens up loads and meant I couldn't run. It's now happening when I squat and after bent over rows. I posted in the running thread and it was suggested it could be a weak core, however my training is mostly compound exercises and I presume this should strengthen my core?

Anyway its getting worse. Does anyone have any tips, could it be poor form, posture, lack of certain exercises? If it is core, would replacing midweek light squats with front squats be a way of sorting this?
it could be all those things, just do a lighter weight with higher reps For a week or so, then see how you feel.

That's power lifting though, you expose weaknesses and strengthen them but injury is the MOST important thing to avoid because that's what will slow your progress above all other things

Back