Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Shame EL Jr. Pulled up with a hammy after his second squat like. Malan is just a beast, though.

Saw a photo of Kiril Sarychev next to EL Jr. Never thought I'd see a 308lb man look like a little boy stood next to someone. Kiril is f***ing huge :lol:

Aye, my mate mentioned that the other day. He's an animal. Speaking of a Sheiko athlete, his UK seminar tickets should be on sale this week.

Any recommendations for a decent place to lift in Sunderland? Currently at DW, they asked me to stop deadlifting there the other week, plus they only have hex plates.
Been lifting in the aquatic centre on deadlift day, its not bad but they have those tech gym plates which are about a inch to big so it's like pulling from small blocks all the time, oh and it only has 2 bars which weigh 20kg. The rest weigh about 10kg and are only short length ones.

I just want to go somewhere that has a spare rack, f***ing normal size circle plates and enough bars... It's a joke, do a strength sport that has 3 movements and its a nightmare to find a gym, do a aesthetic sport that has 9million exercises for short head biceps brachii and there's a whole queue of places to go to.

Any help appreciated.

Any recommendations for a decent place to lift in Sunderland? Currently at DW, they asked me to stop deadlifting there the other week, plus they only have hex plates.
Been lifting in the aquatic centre on deadlift day, its not bad but they have those tech gym plates which are about a inch to big so it's like pulling from small blocks all the time, oh and it only has 2 bars which weigh 20kg. The rest weigh about 10kg and are only short length ones.

I just want to go somewhere that has a spare rack, f***ing normal size circle plates and enough bars... It's a joke, do a strength sport that has 3 movements and its a nightmare to find a gym, do a aesthetic sport that has 9million exercises for short head biceps brachii and there's a whole queue of places to go to.

Any help appreciated.

Mayfair or Cleveland road seem to be the places apparently.

Mayfair or Cleveland road seem to be the places apparently.
Next to the town centre? I looked at their facebook before, got the impression its more for bodybuilding. It's the wrong side of the water for me too I'm from the darkside. Might have a dodge over for a session see how it goes. Cheers.

Next to the town centre? I looked at their facebook before, got the impression its more for bodybuilding. It's the wrong side of the water for me too I'm from the darkside. Might have a dodge over for a session see how it goes. Cheers.

No idea where it is mate, I don't live in Sunderland. @Titus trains there when he's home though and is git mint at powerlifting. I get the impression it's pretty central though.

It's got a squat rack, bench and you're allowed to deadlift. That's all you need. Sounds like a spit and sawdust type place.

I'm actually definitely going to have to find somewhere myself this Christmas as I'm definitely going back home (I say this every year and it never happens) so it'll be one of those places, unless there's somewhere in Durham.

Any help appreciated.

I use Cleveland road when I'm home. £2 a pop, no membership. No competition equipment or anything like that, but it suffices and most of the lads I've met there are spot on

Any help appreciated.
everything you've asked for is available at puregym inside tesco...I've deadlifted with chalk there for ages, normal plates and can drop the bar etc...there's two squat / bench press racks with 20kg bars each and then two additional ones....rare you can't grab one

everything you've asked for is available at puregym inside tesco...I've deadlifted with chalk there for ages, normal plates and can drop the bar etc...there's two squat / bench press racks with 20kg bars each and then two additional ones....rare you can't grab one
I've been to pure before, its not for me. Cheers though, I'll probably have a dodge over Mayfair for a shufty one time and a mate of mine mentioned fitness2000 isn't to bad either there's a platform there etc. One good thing about aquatic is there's a competition bench there, so if anyone is going for PR's use that fucker, you can dig your traps in the bench and that's it your glued to it like. Probably end up settling for the aquatic and if I have to I'll just wrestle the bar off someone while they are using it to half press 20kg on the incline bench!

What's the craic here mate? For convenience & cost I am staying there a little while, anyway of mitigating the risk your talking about?

You slide all over and it makes maintaining any sort of scapular retraction near impossible

Try chalk if they allow it (some don't, seems to depend) or attach a rubber band around the bench

You slide all over and it makes maintaining any sort of scapular retraction near impossible

Try chalk if they allow it (some don't, seems to depend) or attach a rubber band around the bench
DW's the same tbh. If I manage to dig in enough I move the whole bench or slide up it if I'm not set up right. The stand isn't stiff enough either few times I've re-racked and its nearly bounced out, terrified of racking above 100kg.

DW's the same tbh. If I manage to dig in enough I move the whole bench or slide up it if I'm not set up right. The stand isn't stiff enough either few times I've re-racked and its nearly bounced out, terrified of racking above 100kg.

Don't go to golden leisure then :lol:

Any help appreciated.
Maybe elite fitness in southwick never been so don't know what it's like

Brett Gibbs - 83kg IPF lifter just squatted a very easy 300kg in the gym, without wraps :neutral:
BG's a monster like. I designed those Binch Skwot Didlift shirts he sells, he's got a few different designs and a Josh Hancott mashup one but hes never put them up for sale not sure why. Nice bloke like.

Maybe elite fitness in southwick never been so don't know what it's like
I think its a boxing gym mate, might have a dodge in. Im gonna try n visit all the gyms in Sunderland at some point theres f***ing loads of them!

Back