Post a pic of your axe

Somehow got talked into buying the little un one of these tonight

Logon or register to see this image

Squire bullet HSS. Not a bad little guitar for her first but way way too light on the strings for my tastes. Could do with 10 or 11`s on it to give it a bit beef. Wouldnt care but I only went to Keiths to buy her some new nylon strings, 100 sheets later......

Lem oil is great but not too much and not too often - we've had a few in for re-frets where the board has regularly been soaked and as the old frets are removed the fingerboard starts to disintegrate making the re-fret a much longer and more expensive job. Rosewood is full of its own oils anyway and even if it looks dry as a bone on the surface there will still be the natural oils inside. We are working on an old Flying V at the moment with exactly that problem.

The other potential issue is if you have a guitar where the frets are glued in and you oil the board then the oil will run down the fret tangs but will be unable to absorb into the rosewood as the glue has effectively sealed the wood. Wheat happens then is that over time the oil will sit just under the fret and eventually react with the lacquer on the edge of the fretboard causing popping. We learnt this the hard way!

Well come on then

Pics now up...nothing special.

Lem oil is great but not too much and not too often - we've had a few in for re-frets where the board has regularly been soaked and as the old frets are removed the fingerboard starts to disintegrate making the re-fret a much longer and more expensive job. Rosewood is full of its own oils anyway and even if it looks dry as a bone on the surface there will still be the natural oils inside. We are working on an old Flying V at the moment with exactly that problem.

The other potential issue is if you have a guitar where the frets are glued in and you oil the board then the oil will run down the fret tangs but will be unable to absorb into the rosewood as the glue has effectively sealed the wood. Wheat happens then is that over time the oil will sit just under the fret and eventually react with the lacquer on the edge of the fretboard causing popping. We learnt this the hard way!

That twat Scot Groves (I can't stand the man, but he talks a lot of sense with guitars)reckons that water is enough!

Good points. It's fair to say that I do it very sparingly!

Pics now up...nothing special.

That twat Scot Groves (I can't stand the man, but he talks a lot of sense with guitars)reckons that water is enough!
Yes Scott has made a few manufacturers very uncomfortable!

Back