PC gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaylorBoosh

Midfield
Really interested in getting into pc gaming, the only game I really play is football manager on my laptop which I spend hours on, I'm in the group of can only play my console when the Mrs or the bairns asleep or not in which is rarely at the moment with the Mrs only half way through her maternity leave. So I'm now focusing on getting me laptop filled full a decent games, headphones in, I'll be away. Anyone offer any advice on anywhere to get decent pc games for free? Can I use my Xbox one pad on my laptop or would I have to buy a pad? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Really interested in getting into pc gaming, the only game I really play is football manager on my laptop which I spend hours on, I'm in the group of can only play my console when the Mrs or the bairns asleep or not in which is rarely at the moment with the Mrs only half way through her maternity leave. So I'm now focusing on getting me laptop filled full a decent games, headphones in, I'll be away. Anyone offer any advice on anywhere to get decent pc games for free? Can I use my Xbox one pad on my laptop or would I have to buy a pad? Any advice will be much appreciated.

You can use your 360 pad on the PC, just download the drivers. Had some trouble with mine tho, had to get a wireless adapter and then somehow it all kinda worked (even tho it still has to be plugged into the usb port).

For free stuff, look into torrents and nzb's.

You can get a wireless adapter for a 360 pad for a few quid.

You could use torrents to download new releases but honestly updating patches to keep them working is a ball ache. Just buy daily deals off the likes of steam or gog. Humble Bundle is canny at times.

The bairn has asked for a pc for his birthday so I'm gonna build him a cheapish gaming rig and use his 360 pad. Went in Game to check out the PC games and they only had a little shelf with them on, when I had PCs they dominated the shop which is worrying

Especially on older games there is always a deal on somewhere and like said above Humble Bundle can be good at times.

If you do want torrents etc. and can keep a decent ratio I can send you an invite to a decent private games tracker

The bairn has asked for a pc for his birthday so I'm gonna build him a cheapish gaming rig and use his 360 pad. Went in Game to check out the PC games and they only had a little shelf with them on, when I had PCs they dominated the shop which is worrying

All digital these days though with Steam etc. - Download a few days in adavance and unlocked on the release day

This year with Fifa I used a VPN to order the game from Origin Mexico. It was way cheaper and I could play from the Monday before the UK release

I can't remember the last time I bought a hard copy of a pc game. Probably Star Wars Galaxies for a AAA, that must have been 2003. The odd bargain bin classic like theme hospital or C&C red alert. Digital downloads really took over pc gaming.

I can't remember the last time I bought a hard copy of a pc game. Probably Star Wars Galaxies for a AAA, that must have been 2003. The odd bargain bin classic like theme hospital or C&C red alert. Digital downloads really took over pc gaming.
03 was probably the last time I was properly into PC games. Since then its only been football manager on the laptop or consoles.

03 was probably the last time I was properly into PC games. Since then its only been football manager on the laptop or consoles.
Used to love football manager (well, champ manager as it was). Bought 2014 and couldn't be arsed with pre-season. Dealing with all of the e-mails felt too much like work. Never looked at it again.

Yep and MS could have had that with the One which would have led to cheap sales like steam etc but the console players just wouldn't accept that one download meant one licence and wouldn't give up their pre-owned market

Yep and MS could have had that with the One which would have led to cheap sales like steam etc but the console players just wouldn't accept that one download meant one licence and wouldn't give up their pre-owned market
I'm with console owners on that on to be honest. We can get those deals from multiple sources, console users are tied into the 1 market place.

We also have community patches and mods to improve games developers stopped caring about.

I don't know, it just doesn't feel like console makers have earned the kind of trust I have in the likes of Valve. I would be very weary of going with a digital download focused console from MS, Sony or Nintendo and being tied into their whims for the life of that console.

Thanks everyone, tried torrents in the past like & I just could not ever get any to work for me, so I'm probably swaying more towards just say getting deals on any good downloadable websites, it's mainly for old games I ised to love the old pc games back in the day the likes a theme park & theme hospital, first games I ever played were way back in the day the likes of the original doom & a game called full throttle, I know it's a long shot but I'd love to play the likes of them again & also just old gaming titles like bully & LA. Noire which I never got to complete on the console. I don't have a 360 pad but do have a Xbox one so could use pad off that & have a usb connector cable for it.

I'm with console owners on that on to be honest. We can get those deals from multiple sources, console users are tied into the 1 market place.

We also have community patches and mods to improve games developers stopped caring about.

I don't know, it just doesn't feel like console makers have earned the kind of trust I have in the likes of Valve. I would be very weary of going with a digital download focused console from MS, Sony or Nintendo and being tied into their whims for the life of that console.
Thing is if Microsoft & Sony when down that route would they also include games on their previous gen consoles, would these then still be available when moving onto the next gen console? At least with Steam I can still purchase games from over a decade ago and I know they'll still be compatible if I replaced my PC components.

Thanks everyone, tried torrents in the past like & I just could not ever get any to work for me, so I'm probably swaying more towards just say getting deals on any good downloadable websites, it's mainly for old games I ised to love the old pc games back in the day the likes a theme park & theme hospital, first games I ever played were way back in the day the likes of the original doom & a game called full throttle, I know it's a long shot but I'd love to play the likes of them again & also just old gaming titles like bully & LA. Noire which I never got to complete on the console. I don't have a 360 pad but do have a Xbox one so could use pad off that & have a usb connector cable for it.
You don't need to buy direct from Steam, you can buy cheaper from other sites, which'll then provide you with a key to use in Steam e.g. DBZ Xenoverse is £39.99 on Steam but £26 on CD Keys:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc

Theme Hospital was free on Origin a few weeks ago

Loved theme hospital me, I need it back, theme park as well, was class, loads a pc games over the years I used to play that I would love to have back, need to now try & figure out how to get the xbone pad working on me pc

Loved theme hospital me, I need it back, theme park as well, was class, loads a pc games over the years I used to play that I would love to have back, need to now try & figure out how to get the xbone pad working on me pc
£4.09 on gog for theme hospital, don't need to use Origin: http://www.gog.com/game/theme_hospital

Theme Park is the same price, looks like you can get the DOS version for free easily when I googled "theme park download". May be less hassle to just pay the £4.09.

Just looking through my steam library and here is by biggest irritation today. The amound of shit that gets released as an Alpha product and remains a buggy underdeveloped piece of shit for years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back