Palace bid £31m for Benteke

Status
Not open for further replies.

In fairness Benteke is 25 and its pretty obvious he is quality. But aye, you're right

People are making their own rules up here......Benteke is the "right age" whereas Fletcher isn't despite being 4 years younger than the player we've just given a three year contract to. Benteke is a decent player but I fail to see how his value has increased after largely looking a bit of a donkey at Liverpool. You're basing your judgements on one very good spell at Villa (while ignoring his near half season without a goal there) yet not using the same parameters when judging Fletcher.

People are making their own rules up here......Benteke is the "right age" whereas Fletcher isn't despite being 4 years younger than the player we've just given a three year contract to. Benteke is a decent player but I fail to see how his value has increased after largely looking a bit of a donkey at Liverpool. You're basing your judgements on one very good spell at Villa (while ignoring his near half season without a goal there) yet not using the same parameters when judging Fletcher.

Fletcher is bang average and that has been proved by him signing for Shef Wed. I don't think you can really compare the two, Benteke (regardless of barren spells) performed in a crap Villa side averaging nearly a goal every 2 games.

Why do you keep using Defoe as a comparative negative?

Why do you keep using Defoe as a comparative negative?

I'm not.....merely using numbers to expose the flaws in other people's arguments. I've been consistent in my praise of Defoe as a model professional with exceptional levels of fitness for his age.....which is why a comparison between Benteke and Fletcher using age as a basis is flawed.

They are showing that they are not content with just fighting relegation and showing some ambition, fair play to them.
I have just put a bid of 300 million for Messi to sit beside me. Heck of a show of ambition, no chance of it happening.

I have just put a bid of 300 million for Messi to sit beside me. Heck of a show of ambition, no chance of it happening.
Liverpool want to sell, Palace want to buy, Benteke wants the move.

Going for some decent players Palace like.

Still wont do owt tho.
James Tomkins has just signed so that's him along with Townsend & Bandanda. If Benteke does sign that's our business done with a month to go before the start of the season.

Liverpool want to sell, Palace want to buy, Benteke wants the move.

James Tomkins has just signed so that's him along with Townsend & Bandanda. If Benteke does sign that's our business done with a month to go before the start of the season.
I think Benteke will be a fantastic signing for you. Having those sort of players will help you attract more quality in future windows too.

I think you've massively overpaid for Tomkins though, a player that is barely an improvement on what you already have at centre back. Surely you'll be in the market for new fullbacks though? Ward and in particular Souare strike me massively as your weak links.

I think Benteke will be a fantastic signing for you. Having those sort of players will help you attract more quality in future windows too.

I think you've massively overpaid for Tomkins though, a player that is barely an improvement on what you already have at centre back. Surely you'll be in the market for new fullbacks though? Ward and in particular Souare strike me massively as your weak links.
He's a vast improvement on Damien Delaney and Brede Hangerland with age on his side to boot, Ward is a very good fullback, massively under-rated because he lacks pace but his positional sense very good, Souare's come on leaps and bounds but needs to work on his positioning and the occasional rush of blood.

I think buying players early has cost us a bit more but I'd rather that than risk faffing about trying to save £1m here, £500k there and secure the players we want rather than losing out and having a mental last few desperation days of the transfer window.

He's a vast improvement on Damien Delaney and Brede Hangerland with age on his side to boot, Ward is a very good fullback, massively under-rated because he lacks pace but his positional sense very good, Souare's come on leaps and bounds but needs to work on his positioning and the occasional rush of blood.

I think buying players early has cost us a bit more but I'd rather that than risk faffing about trying to save £1m here, £500k there and secure the players we want rather than losing out and having a mental last few desperation days of the transfer window.

Agree with this 100%

The only concern is if someone came in with a bonkers bid for a key player (Bolasie) in the final few days, you don't have much time to find a replacement and any you do will see their price inflated to reflect your desperation. But if your owner holds his nerves/isn't a f***ing Delboy, you'll be grand.

Agree with this 100%

The only concern is if someone came in with a bonkers bid for a key player (Bolasie) in the final few days, you don't have much time to find a replacement and any you do will see their price inflated to reflect your desperation. But if your owner holds his nerves/isn't a f***ing Delboy, you'll be grand.
I have trust in our board, after charlatans like Simon Jordan, Mark Goldberg & Ron Noades we finally have owners who have the best interests of the club at heart rather than an ego boost, a dreamer and a crook. Bolasie will stay unless he really wants a move away and then if that is the case I hope he goes with the blessing of the club.

It looks like we are really trying to build something here and I'm genuinely excited for the first time since we came back up.

I have trust in our board, after charlatans like Simon Jordan, Mark Goldberg & Ron Noades we finally have owners who have the best interests of the club at heart rather than an ego boost, a dreamer and a crook. Bolasie will stay unless he really wants a move away and then if that is the case I hope he goes with the blessing of the club.

It looks like we are really trying to build something here and I'm genuinely excited for the first time since we came back up.

Still have faith in Pardew, despite his awful end to the season?

Still have faith in Pardew, despite his awful end to the season?
Very much so mate. Suspensions and injuries hit us hard from January until the end of the season and we have one of the weakest squads in the league. Last season's done now, can only look forward and ifnwe can keep the unity from board to manager to players to fans then a very good season is not out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back