Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD = AIDS.
Are they really that bad though? I've never had an AMD processor but my Radeon 7870 graphics card has been great.

Just couldn't afford the NVidia chips - the one I've gone for in the end is loads better value by the looks of it.

Reactions: PTR

AMD processors = value for money while INTEL processors = performance.

At the moment I wouldn't buy an Amd Cpu but if you don't have the money to go the Intel route you have little option.

Reactions: mux
My amd fx 8320 was a massive bargain though. Pound for pound, its streets ahead of the intel options at the time.

And amd vs nvidea for graphics has a similar argument that rumbles on forever too.

My amd fx 8320 was a massive bargain though. Pound for pound, its streets ahead of the intel options at the time.

And amd vs nvidea for graphics has a similar argument that rumbles on forever too.
Your right in that pound for pound Amd is better value but at the end of the day we all want performance, which is why Intel can mark up the price of their processors, but I'm not denying that Amd cpu's are great products, just that if you can afford it Intel Cpu's perform much better.

Your right in that pound for pound Amd is better value but at the end of the day we all want performance, which is why Intel can mark up the price of their processors, but I'm not denying that Amd cpu's are great products, just that if you can afford it Intel Cpu's perform much better.
But if you can afford it, you can just get the next one up in the amd range, which will be better again?

The only time that doesn't work is if you want top end stuff, where amd can't compete.
For instance, i wouldn't get an amd if i was looking at an i7.

Mind, I don't think amd have progressed at all these last two years, so this is all out of date comments really.

Every now and again AMD really drops the ball on their CPUs compared to Intel and now is one of those times. Hopefully they'll repeat history and catch up again. Competition is good for consumers.

Okay - I did! I've just bought this...

- CPU: AMD Piledriver FX-8 8350 @ 4.2GHz Eight Core
- Motherboard: Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI AMD 990X (Socket AM3+) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
- RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel

Bought as a bundle from Overclockers... link - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gren....2ghz-eight-core-gaming-bundle-bu-169-oe.html

Now I still have the PSU I bought last year which you said was fantastic (EVGA 650W G2 GOLD 80+) and the HD Radeon 7870 graphics card - I'm assuming I can just fit both of those parts to my new system and I'll be fully upgraded.

What are your thoughts?

PS: Also invested in a 240gb SSD!
Nice one mate. If you're happy with it, then I'm happy. :D

I'm running an i7 @ 2.9ghz/1TB SSD/Radeon R9 290/16GB Ram

It's enough to run most but I suffer from PC Paranoia. I constantly want to update the fucker!

Nice one mate. If you're happy with it, then I'm happy. :D
Appreciate all the advice mate. No doubt I'll pester you some more when I struggle to get this all working in a few days! :lol:

I'm running an i7 @ 2.9ghz/1TB SSD/Radeon R9 290/16GB Ram

It's enough to run most but I suffer from PC Paranoia. I constantly want to update the fucker!
I've just bought a 240gb SSD and already feel like I should've gone bigger!

What's the crack with SSDs then? I've read about them and obviously they make a difference. I will still need to keep my HDD running alongside, what should I be putting on the SSD? The OS or games etc?

Every now and again AMD really drops the ball on their CPUs compared to Intel and now is one of those times. Hopefully they'll repeat history and catch up again. Competition is good for consumers.
Exactly right on both counts.
A good alternative keeps Intel honest.

I was lucky that I built my PC when AMD had just fixed their power-desktop range of CPUs - that product is basically still going now, as they moved away from CPU-only products in favour of GPU-heavy APUs, in an attempt to steal a march on Intels APUs (core-i-range) which were very thin on the GPU side.
Actually, those AMD A-x APUs were great for certain uses.

What's the crack with SSDs then? I've read about them and obviously they make a difference. I will still need to keep my HDD running alongside, what should I be putting on the SSD? The OS or games etc?

They are direct replacements for HDDs. But due to the cost, people often need to choose what goes on the SSD and what remains on the HDD.

As a starting point, "STORAGE" (pics, videos, backups) can stay on the HDD
Operating System, Programs and Games on the SSD

I have a "Program Files" folder on my SSD and HDD, and I choose which programs go where at the point of installation, as my 64Gb SSD is obviously very small - they were miles more expensive 3 years ago.

Exactly right on both counts.
A good alternative keeps Intel honest.

I was lucky that I built my PC when AMD had just fixed their power-desktop range of CPUs - that product is basically still going now, as they moved away from CPU-only products in favour of GPU-heavy APUs, in an attempt to steal a march on Intels APUs (core-i-range) which were very thin on the GPU side.
Actually, those AMD A-x APUs were great for certain uses.

They are direct replacements for HDDs. But due to the cost, people often need to choose what goes on the SSD and what remains on the HDD.

As a starting point, "STORAGE" (pics, videos, backups) can stay on the HDD
Operating System, Programs and Games on the SSD

I have a "Program Files" folder on my SSD and HDD, and I choose which programs go where at the point of installation, as my 64Gb SSD is obviously very small - they were miles more expensive 3 years ago.
Do you keep the OS on your SSD? I'm hoping that 240GB will be enough to store the OS and my games - what you reckon?

Do you keep the OS on your SSD? I'm hoping that 240GB will be enough to store the OS and my games - what you reckon?
A 240gb ssd will be enough for most people but only just, ssd's make the biggest difference for the os although they do help with certain games.

Definitely os, yes.
You'll find you'll get most of your applications in that size ssd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back