Non League Football

The FA take all the sides at Step 2 of the Non league pyramid and put the northern most 24 in the National League North and the Southern most in National League South

There are some adjustments at the boundaries - eg Gloucester wanted to go into National League North as it was easier to get to away games in North using M5 than travelling West-East in National League South

The big problem came years ago when for a time the clubs promoted to step 2 were
2 from Northern Premier
2 from Southern Premier and
2 from Istmian League

This meant each year 4 southern teams and 2 Northern teams were being promoted, thus moving boundary south each season

The clubs get no share of Wembley receipts from non league finals day. They only get the prize money
I understand they only get 12.5% of play off receipts - so is the money from the combined vase and trophy final shared out between all the clubs in the league?
The FA take all the sides at Step 2 of the Non league pyramid and put the northern most 24 in the National League North and the Southern most in National League South

There are some adjustments at the boundaries - eg Gloucester wanted to go into National League North as it was easier to get to away games in North using M5 than travelling West-East in National League South

The big problem came years ago when for a time the clubs promoted to step 2 were
2 from Northern Premier
2 from Southern Premier and
2 from Istmian League

This meant each year 4 southern teams and 2 Northern teams were being promoted, thus moving boundary south each season

The clubs get no share of Wembley receipts from non league finals day. They only get the prize money
I have looked at the FA regulations regarding 23-24 FA Challenge Trophy. The finalists receive 45%. Where do you get your information from ?

Last edited:

I understand they only get 12.5% of play off receipts - so is the money from the combined vase and trophy final shared out between all the clubs in the league?

I have looked at the FA regulations regarding 23-24 FA Challenge Trophy. The finalists receive 45%. Where do you get your information from ?
No idea where your post re play off receipts comes into this, Play offs ( for what league?) and the FA Trophy & Vase are completely unrelated. They are difference competitions.

The FA Trophy has 15 leagues/ divisions that take part

The Vase has in excess of 16 leagues/ divisions involved.

The FA Trophy rules you mention are slightly odd ( blame the FA) . How do you divide up gate receipts between the 2 trophy finalists when there are 4 teams playing on non league finals day. The net gate receipts are in most cases I suspect minimal after costs of all 4 teams, hiring Wembley etc

Well we, Chesterfield, finally got over the line after a couple of false starts....in the end it happening with a convincing home win in front of a packed stadium on the telly was a very nice way to do it.

Great to be back as a football league side and not have 2/3rds of the leagues away game basically in various London suburbs! I wasnt overly lively Sunday morning following the celebrations, the players were still going yesterday evening celebrating....we play at York on Friday and i'd be amazed if a few of them have sobered up enough to play. Probably worth a few quid on York to beat us. That said York away on a bank holiday is a good way to celebrate your first game after winning it!

Like to think we have the squad with a few additions to have a good run at League 2 as well especially with Cook leading things.

My mate watches Home Bargains often on a Sunday near Alder Hey hospital in Liverpool and I've been up a few times. Couldn't go to their game at Kidderminster Harriers' ground yesterday but they are in the final of the FA Sunday Cup. Will be heading to the final wherever it is. Cracking achievement. Another team from here lost the final last year.

Pretty sure a few NE clubs have won it fairly recently.

I know Chesterfield have walked the league but there’s still so much to play for in the National League going into the last 5/6 games. Tight for the play-offs and plenty of sides in the mix to go down. Should make for a cracking end to the season…

I know Chesterfield have walked the league but there’s still so much to play for in the National League going into the last 5/6 games. Tight for the play-offs and plenty of sides in the mix to go down. Should make for a cracking end to the season…
Sort of glad we have won it as play offs will be very competitive this season. Some good sides all batting to get in them.

Back home for the Easter weekend, there were a couple of trebles available yesterday in the North East, but I settled for a double of Boro Rangers v Seaham Red Star at 12 and Silksworth CW v Durham Corinthians at 7.30.

Boro Rangers have done brilliantly to progress so quickly in recent years. After back to back promotions, they are comfortably top half this season. The ground is nothing to write home about - a 3G pitch in a cage, at a college. Standing is available on three sides - the far side, which houses the dugouts is not accessible. Two small atcost stands on the near side for those who want to sit, or need cover. Thankfully, it was a dry day so most opted to stand (possibly to avoid being near the group of kids who banged their drum constantly throughout the match).

8th v 17th at the start of play, Rangers were the better side and led twice, but Seaham fought back to gain a point in a 2-2 draw. Special mention must be made of Seaham's number 17 - who came on as a sub, was sin-binned within five minutes returning only for stoppage time, during which he grabbed the equaliser. Good game, but not a ground to remember. £7 Admission, no programmes but, apparently, there is an online version.

After an afternoon visiting old haunts in Sunderland, it was off to Silksworth. A plaque at the entrance to the ground remembers Bobby Gurney who grew up in Silksworth and began his career here. Thankfully, a heavy early evening downpour had passed over by the time I got to the ground. There's no cover here, and no hard standing, merely grass banking. The pitch looked in good condition despite the recent wet weather, Durham Corinthians were the visitors.

The two sides were level on points at the start of play, in 7th and 8th place respectively, though the Durham side have two games in hand. An even contest was expected, and we certainly got that. Corries twice led, but Silksworth levelled both times, before getting the winner with a 25 yard effort that looped over the keeper's head. Corinthians hit the post and bar and, in truth, deserved a point, but it finished 3-2. Three of the goals were absolute crackers. Great entertainment for £3 Admission.

Back