New Music Releases Thread

Last edited:
Trying to work out the top 10 - Bowie will be there and Christine & the Queens also. I'm guessing they'll have Beyonce in there also as she's getting high ratings in a lot of places.

Radiohead
Solange
Kanye

Them three will probably be there even though there's a fair few on that list already that should be rated above Kanye. Car Seat Headrest, Kevin Morby (got a 4 or 5* review IIRC) and Kendrick Lamar as well potentially.

Favourite albums of the year in no particular order

Frank ocean - blonde (favourite by some distance)
Banks - The altar
Probably get pelters but I like that 1975 record, it's far from perfect tho

Special mention to Kanye and drake. I class myself as a fan of guitar music but it's been a weak year, although I did enjoy the last shadow puppets record which seems to have been completely erased from memory

Treat myself to Childish Gambino, Pete Doherty, Parquet Courts and the new Last Shadow Puppets EP today.

Only had Childish Gambino on so far but it's bloody good

Parquet Courts have a new one?

Human Performance is the last I know of. Could be that?

As for new stuff...

Not sure I mentioned the final, unfinished St Thomas album. It's good. Essentially demos in part.
I like the Childish Gambino album a lot on first listen, as much for its ambition as anything.
Damien Jurado & Richard Swift's "Other People's Songs Volume 1" is a surprise release to me. Covers album, both do vocals, guessing Swift produces. Well worth a listen, if only for their Kraftwerk cover.

The Uncut list is pretty much spot on
These lists are a bit strange. Earlier in the year the album by Laura Gibson was getting really great reviews - I got it and think it is the best album of the year and yet it features on no lists. This has been, in my view, a great year for albums but not really the ones on the lists.

Back