Muchall to retire at end of season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

as I continue to say, David Harker is killing the club, his financial mismanagement is an absolute disgrace
Like a lot of people I don't anything about the finances apart from what's in the papers, what has Harker done wrong to warrant all the criticism hurled his way? I'm not defending him by the way, just curious to learn what exactly he's done.

Like a lot of people I don't anything about the finances apart from what's in the papers, what has Harker done wrong to warrant all the criticism hurled his way? I'm not defending him by the way, just curious to learn what exactly he's done.

we're heavily in debt. we've had to hand back international games. we've had the begging bowl out to the council. we've had to release some key players. we've been unable to afford a replacement for Hastings. no investment in the t20 team.

we're heavily in debt. we've had to hand back international games. we've had the begging bowl out to the council. we've had to release some key players. we've been unable to afford a replacement for Hastings. no investment in the t20 team.
Isn't all that a result of the club not getting enough paying fans through the gates?

which is his job to do
Yes I get that bit, but what could he do different to what the club are trying now with the T20, as that's what makes other clubs money. Durham's crowds for T20 are amongst the lowest, if not the lowest of all the counties, it seems no matter what the club tries they still struggle to break even with crowds of less than 3000, ( the Yorks game being the exception ).
Like I said, I'm not defending him, but I appreciate his hands must be tied if there's no money coming into the club.

There are 2 major factors mitigating against Durham obtaining good gates. Inclement weather and playing on random evenings. Both these factors are out of Harker's control.
The fact that we've always been crap at T20 also matters but again that's not Harker's remit.

Last edited:
There are 2 major factors mitigating against Durham obtaining good gates. Inclement weather and playing on random evenings. Both these factors are out of Harker's control.
The fact that we've always been crap at T20 also matters but again that's not Harker's remit.

If we hadn't spent the money we had we wouldn't have had the silverware either.

We may crash and burn soon when budgets are reined in more, question is whether it's a price worth paying for an amazing last decade.

Marty Emmerson on his twitter feed states Surrey have also made official approaches for both Stoneman and Borthwick but both been offered new dealas by Durham.
and there's a bit on the BBC

Surrey have made an approach for Durham all-rounder Scott Borthwick and opener Mark Stoneman, BBC Newcastle reports.
The pair are both out of contract at the Riverside at the end of the 2016 season, and Surrey have issued a 28-day notice to speak with the players.
Stoneman, 29, and Borthwick, 26, both topped 1,000 first-class runs in 2015 and Borthwick has been tipped for an England Test recall this summer.

It is understood both players have been offered new contracts by Durham.
Speaking to the BBC earlier in June, Borthwick said there were "question marks" over a new deal.
"The wickets here don't really help the leggies," he said. "There's been talk of me moving counties, going to where it does spin, but I've enjoyed my batting up here.
"Durham have been loyal to me, giving me the chance up the order and I would love to stay."

It is, which makes it all the more worrying.

Obviously we know Mustard and Muchall are away, and Collingwood will likely decide at the end of the season. But we can't afford to lose around 4/5 of those
and MacLeod we presume will go unless his contract with Scotland means it's worthwhile he stays to fill a second team and T2 backup slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back