Memories of Danny Dichio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giving the ball away at West Ham they went up & scored
Wedve been top that day

Useless f***ing plank

Shite dj & pundit on Yankee tv
@Plank

Scoring in the last minute vs Villa at home only for the red to rule it out cos that plank David James had dived into his own man (Ehiogu I think). Would've won 2-1
@Plank

My Nan used to refer to him as the plank.

Relatively accurate
@Plank

Last edited:
He saved me from getting arrested after that West Ham game where he missed that sitter that would have seen us go top of the league.

I'd been to the game and drank all the way back to shields. After being dropped off two coppers in a jam sandwich caught me having a piss. One of them asked me where I had been so I explained my day which turned into on a drunken rant about Dichio's miss.

Copper just laughed at me and warned me not to do it again.

Having read the Bridges thread got me thinking how Dichio used to start ahead of him. What are people's memories of him?
My abiding memory is the sitter he missed on the playoff final
Mine is seeing him on the quayside and asking him if he's still 'trying' to play for the Mackems. Was out with bould as far as I can remember

Wasn't there a stretch at the start of the promotion season where Phillips and Quinn were both out and he and Bridges were scoring for fun?

I didn't think he was very good, but he probably suffered the brunt of people's frustration more than most because of the play off miss and the west ham blunder. It's hard to overlook those things when they're among the only contributions you made.

The Italian Kevin Kyle, I didn't mind him actually, always did his best.

Nice analogy. He was unlucky a lot of the time....disallowed goal v Villa when James punched his own defender...the points would have put us into Europe.....sent off every five minutes when sub including v Palace in cup replay for breathing when , in the words of the song, we only had ten men...and half of the ground...not much Palace ultras nonsense that night.

Most (in)famously of all he was Sven's first signing at...gosh, can't remember either Lazio or Sampdoria...

I liked him better than Quinn back then :lol: was only five or six really. Remember him coming off the bench to score a late goal to put us 2-0 up in the 105 point season, fuck nars who against.

Didn't he bust his nose open scoring a diving header? Might have been a cup game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back