Measured Respond to the window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Lads

It could be worse this could be our team....

Westwood
Celustka Diakite Roberge Dosenna
Moberg-Karlsson Cabral Ba Mavrias
Altidore Scocco

We needed to add to our squad of the end of last season so the positives cancel each other out tbh.

Manquillo-Yedlin
Papy-Kaboul
McNair-Brown
N'Dong-M'Vila
Januzaj-Fletcher/Johnson/graham
Love-Matthews
Kone-Kone

I'd rather have the right hand side personally. Denayer is the outlier and not needed despite me being a big fan.

Johnson, Fletch, Matthew and Graham were gone in January (Feb for Johnson) so that wasn't the squad that ended the season.

If Defoe gets injured we're in serious bother.
Maybe. Maybe Defoe gets injured, maybe he doesn't. Maybe we get someone like Bendtner or Anichebe in as cover, maybe we don't. Maybe Asoro is closer to being able to do a job than we think, maybe he isn't. Maybe wait and see might be the best option, rather than doomsaying?

Reactions: Red
Thinking about this optimistically - if we end up with Bendtner on a free his style of play might work extremely well with Januzaj playing behind him for the odd game JD is rested in :cool:

We could absolutely do with someone who can hold the ball up, Bendtner was very good at that. Assuming Defoe stays fit, we go with one up top away from home as he is lethal in away games when the home side pushes on and leaves space. To have an option like Bendtner to use at home, to go either two up front or to replace Defoe, or even to see a game out, would seem like a good idea. As you say, we have options like AJ, who have pace and can get beyond him, and could play off/behind him. Add in Asoro, Whatmore, Gooch, even Khazri then the idea gets more and more appealing.

My doubts would be in his wages, but if he's unattached, he's earning nowt anyway. And why he is a free agent. He's not the self styled 'best forward in the world' by any means, but he's certainly not the worst.

We surely have to be looking at an out of contract player for cover, and I'm not sure who is available, but Bendtner must be a stand out among them.

The only 3 things I am annoyed at

Selling Kaboul

Not signing a striker (criminal)

Signing McNair and Love.

Fair comment bar the last line. Personally I have no idea how these two will progress. I like to think I'm canny at spotting talent, but unless we're talking Altidore, anyone signed by that knacker Poyet or Graham, five minutes to judge a player isn't enough for me.

We could absolutely do with someone who can hold the ball up, Bendtner was very good at that. Assuming Defoe stays fit, we go with one up top away from home as he is lethal in away games when the home side pushes on and leaves space. To have an option like Bendtner to use at home, to go either two up front or to replace Defoe, or even to see a game out, would seem like a good idea. As you say, we have options like AJ, who have pace and can get beyond him, and could play off/behind him. Add in Asoro, Whatmore, Gooch, even Khazri then the idea gets more and more appealing.

My doubts would be in his wages, but if he's unattached, he's earning nowt anyway. And why he is a free agent. He's not the self styled 'best forward in the world' by any means, but he's certainly not the worst.

We surely have to be looking at an out of contract player for cover, and I'm not sure who is available, but Bendtner must be a stand out among them.

Between him and Anichebe imo. Will probably be the latter. I can't see us leaving it at just Asoro to cover Defoe. I'd rather have Bendtner but I suspect Moyes sees things differently.

Apart from leaving ourselves short upfront and the M'Vila saga I'm happy with the summer.

Think the disruption with Allardyce set us back and then having to bring in a new manager when pre season had already started meant we couldn't get going with transfers straight away.

No excusing not signing a striker but everything else has been decent in my opinion.

Between him and Anichebe imo. Will probably be the latter. I can't see us leaving it at just Asoro to cover Defoe. I'd rather have Bendtner but I suspect Moyes sees things differently.

Between the two, it's Bendtner all day for me.

Bring. Him. Home. (I always wanted to type that :lol:)

For me the biggest impact for the transfer window has been losing Big Sam and gaining Moyes. Only time will tell how disruptive the FA were and how badly it will effect our season, but I think it had a real impact on the transfer window and our preparation for the season but i'm glad we've got someone like Moyes, based on what i've seen so far.

Like most others, i'm baffled as to why we haven't signed cover for Defoe, I like Asoro and Watmore but I don't think they are there yet and can not replace an experienced striker on a regular basis, if they were forced to.

Dissapointed with not getting M'Vila in, no idea what's gone on there, but if it was down to the club not wanting to be held to ransom, then good on the club, sure it will all come out in time. Will be happy if we do actually get him in January.

Really liked what NDong said after joining. hopefully he'll perform as well on the pitch and justify his price.

Think Love and McNair should not have been brought in for first team use, not based on what's been so far, they look far from ready for the first team. Only time will tell how much potential they have.

Happy we kept Kone. Hopefully we can get him to sign a contract and settle him down at the club and can build a great partnership between him and Papy. It will ease the pressure on the rest of the pitch if the defence is solid and confident.

I think we will struggle less than last season, with what we have now, but will still find it really tough, because of some of the signings other teams have made.

With what we have now, I'm currently thinking we will finish 15th this season.

Would have preferred us to show some ambition and aim for mid table. Relegation battle it is again.

Like most, I've annoyed at how rapidly we went from a settled squad in May to where we are tonight. I'd be far less bothered had this been the start of the season under Gus or Dick.

We have no choice but to hope that NDong, Manquillo, Papy and Denayer can handle the PL on a weekly basis. We had amazing luck with the KKK signings in January, but there is no guarantee they will adapt and handle the grind that comes with playing for a side that will often have little possession. This has to be the strongest non-Defoe part of our lineup for us to have any success.

Good luck with the attempt not to descend into standard smb hysteria like, but here's my tuppence worth...

Reasonably happy overall

Concerned about the lack of striker - can only assume Moyes sees something special in young Asoro

Denayer is apparently highly rated - the only game I've seen him play he got turned inside out by Robson-Kanu, but I've seen much better players make bigger tits out of themselves internationally. I don't judge players off one game, particularly internationals. Seems like a reasonable use of a loan.

Adnan looks like he'll do a job for us

Boavista fans seem upset about losing Mika

Literally no idea about our midfielder. Leaning on the side of the Mahrez /Fellani / Kante / Kone end of things for players no one had a clue about though, because we wouldn't have waxed that level of cash on someone who hadn't been scouted to fuck

Pointless paying millions for three months of a contract. What will be will be.

Manquillo looks sound

Hopefully McNair and Love won't have to play too much, but fully support the policy of buying potential for not much.

Think that's about it - oh aye, keeping Kone was a massive win

Last edited:
I think I may be in the minority but having watched him internationally I think mcnair could be a good player. I as surprised to see love come on against Southampton.

Wanted another forward. If we sign a free agent it will make a lot of difference to how I see the window I think

Id' say that given the time constraints that Moyes was given, he's done a decent job apart from out striking options.

Disappointed we couldn't get M'vila but at least he'll be here in january.

Big plus as well that we managed to keep hold of Kone, strange that there wasn't one rumour of him leaving today, wonder if he's given his agent a slap.

bit of a curates egg tbh...... the way weve gone about spending the budget would appear to be a little haphazzard to say the least. Leaving ourselves short up front and signing a keeper that must have been 17th on our list would on the face of it appear incompetent. Maybe there is some grand design behind how we have gone about our business but i cant see it

I agree that no blame for our predicament can be attached to moyes, he didn,t sign mcnair or love to play first team football yet.
He has been forced to play gooch , the lad has tried heis best but maybe needs to go out on loan he shouldn,t be anywhere nearvthe first team.
Think we have a good manager but it will take all his skill to keep this team up.

Left ourselves too light in so many areas. Did typical Sunderland thing and got a load of cheapies and loans in. Poundland allstars.

We needed to add to our squad of the end of last season so the positives cancel each other out tbh.

Manquillo-Yedlin
Papy-Kaboul
McNair-Brown
N'Dong-M'Vila
Januzaj-Fletcher/Johnson/graham
Love-Matthews
Kone-Kone

I'd rather have the right hand side personally. Denayer is the outlier and not needed despite me being a big fan.
Really that's genuinely surprising. I think the left side is much better. The only arguable ones for me are M'Vila and Kaboul.

Not too bad overall but left a bit short up front.

Think Manquillo, Papy and Denayer are all decent signings.

Januzaj has got talent like, hope Moyes can get him showing it week in week out.

No idea about N'Dong but we broke our transfer record for him so he'd better be good.

Pienaar looks quality, will be a really good addition to the squad.

McNair and Love were signed to develop.

Shame the keeper move broke down but very surprised we didn't get a forward in. Guess we'll have to get a couple of out of contract players in which is far from ideal but at least it gets the numbers in. Too risky going with one talented but inexperienced goalkeeper and one really good 34 year old striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back