Maybe it's age...

Could be worse mate, you could be sitting there freezing your tatties off on a Tuesday night, instead of sunning yourself in Van Nuys. I do realise you would like to be freezing your tatties off drinking ice cold beer at least once like. But until those Hollywood roles come a calling, it’s jet fumes on a hot sunny day for you my lad

...But for the first time ever I'm feeling less and less arsed about watching the Lads. Beale and Dodds have just sucked the life outta the team. Ugh.
This is your test of faith . We don't have a choice. I have a feeling you feel similar but it's a little cry for help. If you are SAFC you are SAFC it doesn't matter the circumstance. The best part is speaking to fellow like minded lads and lasses the same before the game

Nowt to do with age, if the teams playing well and winning (forgot what that feels like)then it's never an issue. could you be arsed the backend of last season or the previous playoff run? You weren't much older.

I'm less arsed at the minute but just because the seasons basically finished. Fuck all chance of play offs, realistically fuck all chance of relegation, so the games feel a bit like (very slightly) glorified friendlies. We're not normally in this position tbh, and when it's coupled with the fact we're playing shite it's not exactly making the games appealing. I wouldn't be even slightly excited by the prospect of a pre season friendly at home to Blackburn. I'd probably drag myself along, much like the game on Monday

Not age. It just comes in waves. Last time I felt like this was under Phil Parkinson.

Felt very energised with Tony Mowbray at the helm.
I’ve been that way ever since big Sam left. I still watch every game but I just don’t have the obsession I used to have. My passion started in the Keane promotion season and the atmosphere at the opening day when chopra scored the winner. Completely fell in love with the club, I’d always been a fan but not as obsessed as I became after that and it just fizzled away after 2016 when I moved away

More lows than highs supporting this club, but that rarity is what makes the high's so f#cking glorious!

The club are to blame for knocking the stuffing out of the fans this season, and its up to them to turn this shitshow (of their own doing)around for next season.

I'm less arsed at the minute but just because the seasons basically finished. Fuck all chance of play offs, realistically fuck all chance of relegation, so the games feel a bit like (very slightly) glorified friendlies. We're not normally in this position tbh, and when it's coupled with the fact we're playing shite it's not exactly making the games appealing. I wouldn't be even slightly excited by the prospect of a pre season friendly at home to Blackburn. I'd probably drag myself along, much like the game on Monday
I think this probably sums it up, really. I’m going to the Bristol game and that’s most likely my wack for the season, I’ll just pass my ST over to mates who want to put themselves through 90mins of misery.

...But for the first time ever I'm feeling less and less arsed about watching the Lads. Beale and Dodds have just sucked the life outta the team. Ugh.
I think it’s a bit of “nudge theory” with me to be fair.

Nudge 1 - I got to an age where travelling 600+ miles for a Saturday home game was getting hard.
Nudge 2 - The David Moyes season.
Nudge 3 - I started finding ways to spend my Saturdays closer to home and being with friends and family that I see too infrequently because of work (Saracens ST with my Dad who is in his 80’s, Ebbsfleet ST with my mates / family around home).
Nudge 4 - Second relegation followed by another 2 Wembley defeats in a few weeks.
Nudge 5 - Every time I get the urge to travel for a home game we get beat in games we should easily win ( Doncaster, Huddersfield etc.). To be honest I haven’t seen us win a home game since I stopped my ST after the Moyes season(and I’ve been to quite a few).
Nudge 6 - I now can’t get tickets for any away games (what really pisses me off about this is that I am aware that quite a few ST holders buy tickets for every away game to get the points but only go to a select games and sell the tickets on to others - if you sell your ticket on, then you shouldn’t get the loyalty point).

So basically age, distance, inability to get tickets, and Moyes have all played their part in sucking the enthusiasm out of me.

I felt this way throughout the Parkinson era, then got the love back, but starting to feel a similar level of "Meh" now
Had that a number of times me.

McCarthy era, Moyes era, then for years really until Alex Neil turned up. Completely disillusioned again at the minute since Mogga fucked off.

For far too many years than I care to remember, a match day, due to the shite, mind numbing football on offer, has been primarily about the social aspect of meeting up with mates for a good pre & post match drink.

There's been many times in recent years, when I've been happy to have to miss the match, due to me having to work on occasional Saturdays, and I very rarely bother with midweek games.

Last season, we played some fantastic, entertaining, attacking football, and it was a real pleasure to get to a match, and I actually looked forward to being in the stadium to watch the football we played.

However, this current season of mainly slow, hesitant, negative and unexciting football, has seen my enthusiasm for being at the match, all but snuffed out once again, and it feels like a real chore to drag my arse along to the game, especially when the pre match beer & banter is so much more enjoyable.

To be fair
As the city of Sunderland develops and there’s more to do on a Saturday afternoon I think we will find attendances slowly dip
Why I’m so keen we retain this front foot flair football we saw under Mowbray - footballs an entertainment business and if people aren’t entertained the club can’t take loyalty for granted as it just won’t be there in perpetuity

Once you're past the age where any match experience is exciting you need entertaining footy, league position jeopardy , something like derby needle, but most of all HOPE, to keep the juices flowing. Right now we have none of those.

I still watch the match but with no sense of anticipation these days, more entertained by people being wound up by comments on the match thread than anything on the pitch. Used to be a disaster if I wasn't all set up an hour by kick off, now if I missed the first hour of the match I'd congratulate myself.

As bleak as footy-free Saturdays are, this season can't finish soon enough.

Back