Matty Young on loan to Darlington

Feels very early but he’s 18 in November and does look like an exceptional talent. Given was 19 when he was here so not a massive difference but still a big ask of such a young player in that position.
We’d absolutely have to recruit a really solid reliable experienced keeper to compete if we sold Patterson though.
I'd prefer to keep Patterson and give Young another year on loan at a higher level but if a decent off comes in for Patterson I think we will take it.

I'd prefer to keep Patterson and give Young another year on loan at a higher level but if a decent off comes in for Patterson I think we will take it.
I agree but if offers in the realm of 15-20m came in as rumoured I think we’d be daft not to sell, much that I rate him.

Young would benefit from a loan in the national league next year, like ive said previously I am not sure a team in the football league would trust a 17 year old goalkeeper and use one of their 5 loans.

Young would benefit from a loan in the national league next year, like ive said previously I am not sure a team in the football league would trust a 17 year old goalkeeper and use one of their 5 loans.
Natural progression up to national league. Maybe York or or another local club depending on who comes up.

Shay Given did very well for us at that age

I like Patto but there’s not a team that could have watched him this year that will pay £15m+ for him!
We will see about that.

Lets. be honest its not about whether he is worth say £15m - its about how m much money Liverpool and co have swishing about and are prepared to spend. Some of the transfer fees as we know are obscene - no reason why SAFC should go all moralistic over them.

We will see about that.

Lets. be honest its not about whether he is worth say £15m - its about how m much money Liverpool and co have swishing about and are prepared to spend. Some of the transfer fees as we know are obscene - no reason why SAFC should go all moralistic over them.
My point was less to do with the fee and more to do with his form. On this season’s performances, he’s not ready for the step up.

Loan to NL will have been fantastic. I wonder whether, if we think he can handle it he might not just be our number two for next season.
Yes it's on the bench except a few cup games (or an Injury) but training with the first team full might be as beneficial.as sending him out on loan.

Loan to NL will have been fantastic. I wonder whether, if we think he can handle it he might not just be our number two for next season.
Yes it's on the bench except a few cup games (or an Injury) but training with the first team full might be as beneficial.as sending him out on loan.
Personally think it would be a proper waste of time him being sat here as our number 2. He’s trained with the first team plenty. Needs his next step up, wherever that might be.

Back