Mason Cotcher

Where is the clear route to the first team? Rigg is the only one who has broken through and thats because he is a generational talent. We are singing young kids from Europe who cant even get it our team blocking the development of the likes of Middlemas, Kelly, Bainbridge to make the step up to the first team.
Neil, Patto, Embo three off the top of my head. The fact is most youth players will never make it. I agree that we seem to be singing academy players from abroad that can't cut it but to say there is no route is a bit misleading.

Neil, Patto, Embo three off the top of my head. The fact is most youth players will never make it. I agree that we seem to be singing academy players from abroad that can't cut it but to say there is no route is a bit misleading.

Not misleading at all, if these players are being bought at a young age with a view of being first team players they are going to get preference over players currently in the 21s. I think we can agree recruitment has been poor, we need experienced players next season which is topped up by our academy. There are three players currently on the verge of breaking through, so I would much prefer these local talents than Hemir or Mayenda.

Not misleading at all, if these players are being bought at a young age with a view of being first team players they are going to get preference over players currently in the 21s. I think we can agree recruitment has been poor, we need experienced players next season which is topped up by our academy. There are three players currently on the verge of breaking through, so I would much prefer these local talents than Hemir or Mayenda.
I would love a team if 11 local lads who have came through our academy but why would the club prefer to play players they have brought in over players from our academy? I can’t think of any reason they would do that . Also the players you think are on the verge of breaking into the team are not being stoped by the players you mention. Also an argument that Kelly isn’t really from our academy so is he then not stoping one of ours?

If these lads aren't breaking in with our current crop then they won't make it. There is a path way and that's proven by the first team players who play week in week out who came from the academy.

I would love a team if 11 local lads who have came through our academy but why would the club prefer to play players they have brought in over players from our academy? I can’t think of any reason they would do that . Also the players you think are on the verge of breaking into the team are not being stoped by the players you mention. Also an argument that Kelly isn’t really from our academy so is he then not stoping one of ours?

Id play Jones over Kelly personally but he has been here since under 16 so im not sure you can use that argument here.
If these lads aren't breaking in with our current crop then they won't make it. There is a path way and that's proven by the first team players who play week in week out who came from the academy.

They broke through in the worst time in our history. Im interested in your opinion here, do you think we would have had the patience with them to break through when we are signing young players from abroad who are getting preference?

Last edited:
Id play Jones over Kelly personally but he has been here since under 16 so im not sure you can use that argument here.

They broke through in the worst time in our history. Im interested in your opinion here, do you think we would have had the patience with them to break through when we are signing young players from abroad who are getting preference?
So who should they be ahead of and why would the club have a preference of playing them over our academy players

Yes. If they are good enough they'd play. I get what you are saying in that you'd rather see our academy players instead of lads from random clubs abroad. But I doubt they signed these lads knowing they would be shit. The last two windows have been a fuck up but they got it right a lot before that.

He's having trials at other clubs, until a club puts in an acceptable bid. Maybe Leeds have moved on, but surely you can't be playing for 4 clubs including parent club in a season
Surely he could sign and it would go to arbitration. For whatever reason it seems no one wants to take a chance on the lad and, highly rated though he is, the fee surely would not be prohibitive for the clubs he’s trialled at.

He last played for Leeds middle of March
Surely he could sign and it would go to arbitration. For whatever reason it seems no one wants to take a chance on the lad and, highly rated though he is, the fee surely would not be prohibitive for the clubs he’s trialled at.
Im not sure how much he is worth, 250k, 500k or a milllion+. I guess they can get others for free or a slightly less fee

Last edited:

Back