Kevin Phillips column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Possibly, but as I said Giach played in a midfield 3 for juventus and Italy in a 3.

We have plenty of midfielders on the books, of course they play different specific roles, but from a club's financial point of view, I doubt they would fund another one.

Bit harsh that like.
At juventus he played along marchisio and Vidal though. World class players. And when he did play, it was very rarely.

He's just far better off the bench for me, never affects the game from the start.

In his column this morning he says Sunderland need a creative spark BUT may not be in a position to sign anyone because of Financial Fair Play rules.

I have looked it up ......

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/financial-fair-play-explained.php

I think it would be good if the club would simply state if we are or are not able to make more signings because of the FFP regulations. It would resolve a lot of speculation.

To be honest, someone on here with a bit of financial accounting nous & a copy of our last financial statement should be able to work out where we are on this.
Any takers?

At juventus he played along marchisio and Vidal though. World class players. And when he did play, it was very rarely.

He's just far better off the bench for me, never affects the game from the start.

I would agree if we had more options, Gomez is such a passenger though.

Anyway wasn't saying he should play, just that it is probably why we won't bring somebody in.

Short's argument should be, if we don't think he is good enough to play (Poyet clearly doesn't), then sell him, and get someone who is.

To be honest, someone on here with a bit of financial accounting nous & a copy of our last financial statement should be able to work out where we are on this.
Any takers?

Lot of the local journos have mentioned we are close to the limit, the only way they would know that is if they were tipped off by the club.

Fair points here yeah.

It just seems strange that Giach has been trusted so much for big teams in that same role

He's an attacking mid. If he showed more qualities of a decent PL centre mid I'd be all for playing him more often. I reckon Poyet recognises this. He's a weird player like, looks class on his day, on other days he genuinely looks weak as piss. I think because him and Alvarez have this mysterious aura about them, people think they're class but just not used enough. But what are there strengths exactly? If they're so good you'd think they'd blow everyone away in their cameos, but they never do.

Fair points here yeah.

It just seems strange that Giach has been trusted so much for big teams in that same role
Italian fans would find the view that he has "the heart of a mouse " incredible, his respect over there is largely because of his attitude.

Lot of the local journos have mentioned we are close to the limit, the only way they would know that is if they were tipped off by the club.

Not at all....Our yearly statement always says how much we're spending & earning... Apply that to the FFP rules & it should be clear for everyone to see how close we are.

He's an attacking mid. If he showed more qualities of a decent PL centre mid I'd be all for playing him more often. I reckon Poyet recognises this. He's a weird player like, looks class on his day, on other days he genuinely looks weak as piss. I think because him and Alvarez have this mysterious aura about them, people think they're class but just not used enough. But what are there strengths exactly? If they're so good you'd think they'd blow everyone away in their cameos, but they never do.

Yeah but if we have Bridcutt and Larsson playing, surely our third centre mid has to be attacking?

Not at all....Our yearly statement always says how much we're spending & earning... Apply that to the FFP rules & it should be clear for everyone to see how close we are.

I worked with a few of the lads at the Sunderland Echo, and no offence to them, there is no chance they have sat and worked that out. They do however get pointers from the club.

Yeah but if we have Bridcutt and Larsson playing, surely our third centre mid has to be attacking?

Yeah, but that's Gomez. I know it sounds a bit shit, but that's what Gomez is. He's the third 'luxury' CM that gives you that vision/killer pass but also does basic CM duties. He's a very average CM, but he's just better at playing there than Giaccherini (IMHO) and more experienced in that position. I'd like to see Giaccherini get given a go in that role but I always say this and then he plays and he's weak as piss. At least with Gomez we've seen some nice passes to PvA, I saw no connection between PvA and Giaccherini during the Liverpool game.

I would agree if we had more options, Gomez is such a passenger though.

Anyway wasn't saying he should play, just that it is probably why we won't bring somebody in.

Short's argument should be, if we don't think he is good enough to play (Poyet clearly doesn't), then sell him, and get someone who is.

Agree with that whole post. I'm not a fan of Gomez tbh, but I like his ability to slot a ball between the full back and centre back. He has little else but does chip in with a few goals a seasons. He should be an adequate squad player, wouldn't start too many ideally though.

Agree with that whole post. I'm not a fan of Gomez tbh, but I like his ability to slot a ball between the full back and centre back. He has little else but does chip in with a few goals a seasons. He should be an adequate squad player, wouldn't start too many ideally though.

Agree, has his moments aye, no problem with him in the squad.

Fair point, what I would say is though is that Gomez is a massive passenger, and does't offer much defensively, don't see why Giacherini could not play where he did.

Looks like Wickham will play from the wing slightly, and Johnson has to play, still think there is a room for one more.

Giacherini played in a midfield 3 for Juventus and Italy, and was played mainly due to his hard work. I am still not sure why Poyet doesn't trust him there, especially when Gomez is the alternative.

Giaccherini has generally looked far better for us when played centrally as opposed to out on the wing, would much rather see him start in the middle than Gomez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back