Kevin Phillips column

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Persephone

In his column this morning he says Sunderland need a creative spark BUT may not be in a position to sign anyone because of Financial Fair Play rules.

I have looked it up ......

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/financial-fair-play-explained.php

I think it would be good if the club would simply state if we are or are not able to make more signings because of the FFP regulations. It would resolve a lot of speculation.

In his column this morning he says Sunderland need a creative spark BUT may not be in a position to sign anyone because of Financial Fair Play rules.

I have looked it up ......

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/financial-fair-play-explained.php

I think it would be good if the club would simply state if we are or are not able to make more signings because of the FFP regulations. It would resolve a lot of speculation.

Yeah, I see what you mean, but best to keep things inhouse

If I was Short though I would say we have Giacherini and Alvarez who are barely being used, both on big wages, the players are there.

It is hard to justify bringing in another creative player IMO.

Need to off load before we bring anyone in.

Why the Jozy/Defoe deal was such a good one.

Can see us getting rid of Fletcher in the summer and replacing…..he's the sort of player one of the newly promoted teams might like. (hopefully)

If I was Short though I would say we have Giacherini and Alvarez who are barely being used, both on big wages, the players are there.

It is hard to justify another luxury player. There's a lot of fans who want us to play Alvarez/Giaccherini more often, but where do you play them? Neither of them are better than Johnson. And I think two strikers is good for us and you need the three in the middle. It's really hard to fit these kind of luxury creative players in, they'll remain super subs while we're this close to the bottom three.

Two things about jackareeny (I kna ) here 1.he may well be that creative midfield spark but we aren't going to find out as he ain't going to get a run long enough in the side (same with Alvarez) and B. If gus would prefer to put a centre forward on the right wing for the last 20 mins or so 2up against a poor team then Shirley it looks like his time is up anyway why haven't we looked to get him off the wage bill and yes that last domestic loan??

It is hard to justify another luxury player. There's a lot of fans who want us to play Alvarez/Giaccherini more often, but where do you play them? Neither of them are better than Johnson. And I think two strikers is good for us and you need the three in the middle. It's really hard to fit these kind of luxury creative players in, they'll remain super subs while we're this close to the bottom three.

Fair point, what I would say is though is that Gomez is a massive passenger, and does't offer much defensively, don't see why Giacherini could not play where he did.

Looks like Wickham will play from the wing slightly, and Johnson has to play, still think there is a room for one more.

Giacherini played in a midfield 3 for Juventus and Italy, and was played mainly due to his hard work. I am still not sure why Poyet doesn't trust him there, especially when Gomez is the alternative.

Fair point, what I would say is though is that Gomez is a massive passenger, and does't offer much defensively, don't see why Giacherini could not play where he did.

Looks like Wickham will play from the wing slightly, and Johnson has to play, still think there is a room for one more.

Giacherini played in a midfield 3 for Juventus and Italy, and was played mainly due to his hard work. I am still not sure why Poyet doesn't trust him there, especially when Gomez is the alternative.

Gomez was our best passer and most creative player on Sat wasnt he?

I agree. Looking at things from Short's perspective, he's already invested plenty into the squad. Certain players being wasted, as you say.

No money to be spent this window. A loan tomorrow is the best we can hope for. But we won't just loan anybody, they'd have to improve the first team immediately. Doubtful if a player like that becomes available tomorrow.

I think he plays Gomez over Giaccherini there for a few reasons, one is that Gomez has PL experience, another is that Gomez can pass the ball better. Another reason is Gomez is stockier, he has a more physical presence than Giaccherini. As a standard centre mid, Gomez just makes more sense. The weaknesses of Gomez's game are obvious but would Giaccherini really be any less of a passenger? I think Giaccherini is also a passenger when he starts. He's a good option to have when we're attacking teams, but I don't think Poyet trusts him enough. I think Giaccherini is pretty lightweight in general. I'm not a big Gomez fan, and I don't think many fans like him, but he's still a more sensible option than the other two in central midfield.

We have 3/4 players getting wages who realistically don't have futures here. Cabral, Mavrias, Graham, Roberge. (I know Roberge is on loan but I imagine there's still some money involved on our part)

If we ship those off then we can start clawing some money back. Unfortunately for the first 3/4 years of us being back up, we spunked money away and now we have to cut our cloth.

Would half agree. But the creative player we lack is one who plays in a central midfield role. The other two are better further forward.

I agree. Looking at things from Short's perspective, he's already invested plenty into the squad. Certain players being wasted, as you say.

No money to be spent this window. A loan tomorrow is the best we can hope for. But we won't just loan anybody, they'd have to improve the first team immediately. Doubtful if a player like that becomes available tomorrow.

Yep agree, I don't think we will get anyone in even on loan personally.

If we hypothetically I would go for Lennon, just because he is totally different to something we have have

But we really need to get a left back in, we are not far away from having Vergini at right back, or a right back at left back, which really has had a bad impact on our season.

Giacherini has the heart of a mouse that's why. Not a huge fan of Gomez but he has more effect than Giac and doesn't shy away from challenges either outgoing or incoming.

Would half agree. But the creative player we lack is one who plays in a central midfield role. The other two are better further forward.

Possibly, but as I said Giach played in a midfield 3 for juventus and Italy in a 3.

We have plenty of midfielders on the books, of course they play different specific roles, but from a club's financial point of view, I doubt they would fund another one.

Giacherini has the heart of a mouse that's why. Not a huge fan of Gomez but he has more effect than Giac and doesn't shy away from challenges either outgoing or incoming.

Bit harsh that like.

Pretty obvious, he likes going forward.

I think he plays Gomez over Giaccherini there for a few reasons, one is that Gomez has PL experience, another is that Gomez can pass the ball better. Another reason is Gomez is stockier, he has a more physical presence than Giaccherini. As a standard centre mid, Gomez just makes more sense. The weaknesses of Gomez's game are obvious but would Giaccherini really be any less of a passenger? I think Giaccherini is also a passenger when he starts. He's a good option to have when we're attacking teams, but I don't think Poyet trusts him enough. I think Giaccherini is pretty lightweight in general. I'm not a big Gomez fan, and I don't think many fans like him, but he's still a more sensible option than the other two in central midfield.

Fair points here yeah.

It just seems strange that Giach has been trusted so much for big teams in that same role

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back