I had a pint with an old Sunderland player....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was thinking that myself. I take it the 2 year gap after leaving sunderland and joining darlo is when he finished his education to become a teacher.
that's what i deduce anarl mate. i also deduce that his support of liverpool came from his time spent at southport, but a short distance from liverpool during the shankley and beatles era

Had a pint and a chat with an older fella at a family party on Saturday night in Formby.

The fella was called Alan Spence, he told me he played for you lot and in a game with Charlie Hurley against Juventus, he said it was a friendly to celebrate the club having floodlights. He only played a few games before moving on.....Sunderland wanted him to sign but his father wouldn't let him until he had finished his education to become a teacher.....

He was a local lad from Seaham, who now supports Liverpool but obviously still looks out for you lot.

Anyone remember seeing him play???

I can remember the match being played although I wasn't there. It was certainly not to celebrate the club having floodlights as we got them in, I think, 1952 and there had been lots of floodlight friendlies against foreign teams before Juventus, Moscow Dynamo being one I can recall. It might have been for the replacement and improved lights. The original ones ended up at South Shields I think.

I used to have a beer every Sunday with Malcolm Moore and Jim Macnab in the Silky Legion, both gentlemen and always asked how Silksworth got on after we played.

Used to take the piss out of us, but with great banter.

There was me, JueD and Phil the lizard Rumford with his dad and grandad.

Great times, when I moved away and heard they'd passed on I was gutted.

Not sure about Malcolm, only his dad Malcolm snr.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a pint in the same town centre pub as mickey gray was in.he was pised and I was pissed.we both went to castle view school.we must be both plonkeys

Had a pint and a chat with an older fella at a family party on Saturday night in Formby.

The fella was called Alan Spence, he told me he played for you lot and in a game with Charlie Hurley against Juventus, he said it was a friendly to celebrate the club having floodlights. He only played a few games before moving on.....Sunderland wanted him to sign but his father wouldn't let him until he had finished his education to become a teacher.....

He was a local lad from Seaham, who now supports Liverpool but obviously still looks out for you lot.

better check with the statcat

Alan Spence was my sports teacher at secondary school, round about mid 70's. I think he was also manager of Chorley at the time. I didnt have a clue who he was and was wearing the 78/79 home shirt for a games lesson, pretty unusual in Lancashire - he seemed pleased to see the red and white stripes and chatted for a bit about his time playing for safc and why I supported them, stuff like that. Nice chap from what I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back