I agree with Sam, from The Sunderland Echo

Status
Not open for further replies.

half of the problem is that a handful of our players are shocking at moving into space after passing meaning that the player on the ball has no options nearby giving them no option but to hoof it. is the bulk of the blame on the players for this? or the coaching staff for not drilling this into them?

Shhhhh - keep it quiet, but it replaced "five year plan"

None of our Board members have even heard of a one-year plan,let alone a five-year! It'll be all change in the summer,no matter what division we're in and our rollercoaster will continue to hurtle onwards, backwards,upwards and downwards.

half of the problem is that a handful of our players are shocking at moving into space after passing meaning that the player on the ball has no options nearby giving them no option but to hoof it. is the bulk of the blame on the players for this? or the coaching staff for not drilling this into them?

Pass and move isn't rocket science, mate. Most of these players will have had it since they were in the under 12's.

the formula some of them seem to go by is pass and run away rather than meaningful movement. frustrating

Very! Especially when it should be second nature to them.

Our ball retention and passing was shit!
Allardyce insists his game-plan was NOT for Sunderland to be so defensive-minded, yet the encounter developed in that fashion due to their sloppiness on the ball.
He said: “The possession was poor.
“We didn’t sit back on purpose. We sat back because we kept giving the ball to them.
“If we didn’t pass the ball to them, then we kicked it out of play.
“These players are better than that, but maybe the fear and not getting a result after Man City put us on the back foot a little bit.”

Read more: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...5-per-cent-fitter-now-1-7722586#ixzz3zf2HvV6S

It's amazing the amount of fans who will blame a manager's tactics for professional players not being able to pass a ball.

It's amazing the amount of fans who will blame a manager's tactics for professional players not being able to pass a ball.

You want us to pass it out of our own box? We struggle to pass it further up the pitch. The defensive line was forced deep by a better team, it happens. Clearance is the only option for a defender doing his job, where do those clearances go? Well for 8o minutes Sam watched those clearances go towards Defoe and did nowt. Liverpool go 2-0 up and they finally take their foot off the peddle. Finally our defence can raise it's line and the graft and determination and attacking intent of our players won us a point. Bailed out by our opponents complacency and players with fight imo.

Liverpool pushed us back. It was Sam's job to make the changes to raise that line but nothing changed until Liverpool went two up. Imo, Bringing N'Doye central would have been the best chance of retaining possession further up the pitch to help raise that defencive line.

Sam got it well wrong imo. The player need the praise for digging us out of this one. Not on Sam's back though. Managers can't get it right every game.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't both Arca & Malbranque very popular on here?

I can't remember much of Arca except the free kick he scored v Boro but I absolutely loved Steed, an absolute genius at times on the ball
Already had this conversation with another lad, it amazes me how many hold these 2 in contempt for "no end product". Both were great at retaining possession while under a bit of pressure from the oppo.

I agree and was hoping we would get someone for that role in jan. However we never play it back to keeper to start again. That doesnt take a great passer it takes a different more patient approach. Ultimately sams direct style is flawed with defoe uptop alone

Possibly because he is incapable of passing or throwing the ball within 5 yards of a team-mate. Recently he has done well to keep it on the pitch.

Agree. Cattermole works best when he win the ball with a hard tackle breaking up play then gives the ball to a fellow midfielder standing 2 yards away.
His 40 yard (and ten yard) visonary passes NEVER reach the intended target.

Mr Cattermole has watched too many Paul Scholes videos. Right now he is pure shit.

Its frightening how many cant see this.

One thing thats always rung true about Allardyce, its very rarely his fault. His ego won't allow it.

I was told this by a mag when he first got the job (and I told the mag to fuck off) but I have started to notice this more.

I'm sorry like but that's bullshit from Sam. He can't take any sort of criticism, and to pass it on to his players is poor from him.

There is no doubt that he set us up like that. We were perhaps a bit deeper due to Liverpool's pressing but the strategy of hitting long balls constantly in an attempt to get Defoe in behind is all his doing.

It was obvious that he's drilled it into the players to play that ball as soon as they get a chance, regardless of other options. That's why we kept giving the ball away.

MVila is regularly 80%+ pass completion, I'm sure kirchoff would be too. Add Khazri, Johnson, Borini and Defoe and there's players capable of more than that horrible hit and hope tactic.
There's nothing wrong playing long, direct football if the passes are accurate or are into space out wide of us to exploit with Khazri and Watmore. Defoe has showed before if we play it long to his feet he's excellent at holding it up, buying free kicks, getting us up the pitch to attack. The passing against Liverpool was criminal, I'm almost certain Sam didn't tell them to pass that badly.

Its frightening how many cant see this.

I was told this by a mag when he first got the job (and I told the mag to fuck off) but I have started to notice this more.
My dad said the same when he took over, he'll blame others when its shit then take all the credit when its going well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back