I agree with Sam, from The Sunderland Echo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our ball retention and passing was shit!

Allardyce insists his game-plan was NOT for Sunderland to be so defensive-minded, yet the encounter developed in that fashion due to their sloppiness on the ball.

He said: “The possession was poor.

“We didn’t sit back on purpose. We sat back because we kept giving the ball to them.

“If we didn’t pass the ball to them, then we kicked it out of play.

“These players are better than that, but maybe the fear and not getting a result after Man City put us on the back foot a little bit.”

Read more: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...5-per-cent-fitter-now-1-7722586#ixzz3zf2HvV6S

Our ball retention has been dire for years. Slightly improved under Poyet for a short spell but in the main we rarely dominate possession. Apart from West Brom and Norwich we our probably the weakest in the league for keeping the ball.

Its amazing isnt it. Its almost as if playing a direct style with hoofs to defoe isnt a good strategy to help us keep possession. Im sure once defoe gets his stilts fitted it will start to work alot better. Alternatively we could just keep hold of ball at back and start again or play ndoye alongside defoe. Either way SAM needs to fuckin change it!!

We need to play the players in midfield who can retain the ball first. I like Cattermole, but he's not the man you want in the middle when trying to keep the ball, his passing is erratic/poor.

Its amazing isnt it. Its almost as if playing a direct style with hoofs to defoe isnt a good strategy to help us keep possession. Im sure once defoe gets his stilts fitted it will start to work alot better. Alternatively we could just keep hold of ball at back and start again or play ndoye alongside defoe. Either way SAM needs to fuckin change it!!

Did you understand his quote? Its the f***ing players not being able to pass it that was the issue. I do suspect sitting deeper doesnt help when they panic like fuck and hoof it, sitting that deep has to be instructions from Sam

O'Shea and Jones cannot pass very well. O'Shea could potentially be excused as he's perhaps our most consistent defender.

Cattermole has the ability to pass well but didn't on Saturday. We could do with a player like Ki to keep hold of the ball and keep the midfield ticking.

We need to play the players in midfield who can retain the ball first. I like Cattermole, but he's not the man you want in the middle when trying to keep the ball, his passing is erratic/poor.

Agree. Cattermole works best when he win the ball with a hard tackle breaking up play then gives the ball to a fellow midfielder standing 2 yards away.
His 40 yard (and ten yard) visonary passes NEVER reach the intended target.

O'Shea and Jones cannot pass very well. O'Shea could potentially be excused as he's perhaps our most consistent defender.

Cattermole has the ability to pass well but didn't on Saturday. We could do with a player like Ki to keep hold of the ball and keep the midfield ticking.
I agree and was hoping we would get someone for that role in jan. However we never play it back to keeper to start again. That doesnt take a great passer it takes a different more patient approach. Ultimately sams direct style is flawed with defoe uptop alone

whilst il give big sam the benefit of the doubt hasnt he just signed kone a player he described as big strong and able to get rid of it with no nonsense???

Did you understand his quote? Its the f***ing players not being able to pass it that was the issue. I do suspect sitting deeper doesnt help when they panic like fuck and hoof it, sitting that deep has to be instructions from Sam
Didnt read it. Our style is to play instantly into defoe. Everyone is doing it not just poor passers. Defoe loses aerial battle, opposition comes at us. Rinse and repeat. Whilst theres an issie with passing quality its the direct style and defoe which is a flawed concept. Sams idea

Our ball retention has been dire for years. Slightly improved under Poyet for a short spell but in the main we rarely dominate possession. Apart from West Brom and Norwich we our probably the weakest in the league for keeping the ball.
improved under Poyet cos it rarely went forwards, mostly "safe" passes sideways and backwards

Allardyce obviously feared them, hence he chose a runner (Watmore) over our best 'footballer' Johnson.

I don’t understand why he keeps mentioning "fear". Firmino aside perhaps, there was absolutely nothing to fear from that Liverpool side.
Get the soft shites telt before Saturday please Sam. No f***ing fear, reet? rant over.

My fear is we have much less to fear than Liverpool do.

There's not much a manger can really do apart from shout at the knackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back