How desperate are them up the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.

So, even though Newcastle, as a city, has a population of 290,000 you're still claiming is catchment is only 300,000?

Your sums don't add up .

The other two clubs in Birmingham averaged over 42,000 between them last season, which would suggest that Aston villas share of the city's support is somewhat less than half, if one considers that City have been in the doldrums for a few years, villas share is probably smaller still.

Let's say, for argument sake, then that villas catchment is 400,000. I would still estimate Newcastle's at closer to 700,000 than your suggested 300k.

Your argument is that a city of 1.1m, with a metro population of 3.7m, to share between 3 clubs has a catchment area a little over 1/2 that of a city of only 290k and a metro area of 1.6m? That's frankly ridiculous. You've also missed the salient point; There is a subsect of that gross population that identifies themselves as Aston Villa fans (hardcore or casual attendants), and they are not turning up to watch Aston Villa in the same numbers as is the case at other Premier League Clubs. They've the lowest average attendance in the league by some distance. They have a vast population to draw from and that they share a catchment area with a Championship club and a Premier League club shouldn't have affected attendances that much.

It's been steadily declining over years and while clubs like Newcastle and Sunderland have been frequently flirting with relegation (and in our case getting her into bed on a couple of occasions), we've still turned up in our droves. Newcastle had the 3rd highest average attendance while in the 2nd tier! Sunderland fans have turned up every other week to watch a team that is, more often than not, at the wrong end of the table. Aston Villa fans are drifting away and to say that it's because they share a city is a bit silly.

And I'm saying throwing money at the problem would not necessarily work, you arrogant smelly mag :lol:

Pretty sure I said that's what we'd do in this hypothetical situation your fellow sunderland fan created, never once did I say it would work. Please don't misrepresent my views.

Your argument is that a city of 1.1m, with a metro population of 3.7m, to share between 3 clubs has a catchment area a little over 1/2 that of a city of only 290k and a metro area of 1.6m? That's frankly ridiculous. You've also missed the salient point; There is a subsect of that gross population that identifies themselves as Aston Villa fans (hardcore or casual attendants), and they are not turning up to watch Aston Villa in the same numbers as is the case at other Premier League Clubs. They've the lowest average attendance in the league by some distance. They have a vast population to draw from and that they share a catchment area with a Championship club and a Premier League club shouldn't have affected attendances that much.

It's been steadily declining over years and while clubs like Newcastle and Sunderland have been frequently flirting with relegation (and in our case getting her into bed on a couple of occasions), we've still turned up in our droves. Newcastle had the 3rd highest average attendance while in the 2nd tier! Sunderland fans have turned up every other week to watch a team that is, more often than not, at the wrong end of the table. Aston Villa fans are drifting away and to say that it's because they share a city is a bit silly.

Pretty sure I said that's what we'd do in this hypothetical situation your fellow sunderland fan created, never once did I say it would work. Please don't misrepresent my views.
Spot on. But in my opinion the mags have a much larger fanbase than Sunderland. Doesn't take away from the fantastic attendances for the both sides.

So wads of cash will save your season if you're shite by January??:rolleyes:
Didn't help you last season. And as for needing grafters in the Championship, maybe if a couple of your mega signings had grafted last season you wouldn't be where you are now.
As for Benny boyz CV, Wijnaldum's CV would probably say the same. FFS
Dunno, it might, it might not. But do you realise you're arguing the toss in a hypothetical situation where I said what the club would likely do, not what the outcome of that effort would be.

re: our "mega signings" not trying hard enough, I agree and I'm pretty sure it's the consensus... so I'm not sure why you bring it up?

No, I don't think their CVs match up at all. GW has won the Dutch cup twice and their league once and he's picked up a couple of personal honours, but Benitez has won La Liga, the FA Cup, he is the only manager in history to have won the UEFA Europa League, UEFA Super Cup, UEFA Champions League and the FIFA Club World Cup. He's got a couple of promotions in his career too.

Please don't infest my club's messageboard. Bore off.

Your argument is that a city of 1.1m, with a metro population of 3.7m, to share between 3 clubs has a catchment area a little over 1/2 that of a city of only 290k and a metro area of 1.6m? That's frankly ridiculous.

Nope... That's not my argument at all.

Whilst you can consider the metro population of the North East because there are only two major clubs, therein, you simply can't do the same with the surrounding area of Birmingham because there are so many other teams to take into account. Other than the three already named, Leicester, Wolves, Coventry, Derby and others will all dip into that 3.7 million. There are really no other clubs in our catchment area... Of course, you already know that but it doesn't suit your agenda.

Aston Villa (have)... the lowest average attendance in the league by some distance.

This is just a plain lie though, isn't it? :oops:

Ugly girls try harder.

Wouldn't know and wouldn't want to find out, personally.

It's the opposite of 2 bald men fighting over a comb, it's like the ugly husbands of supermodels arguing over who's luckier.

Tidied that for you. Face it... both clubs have been hideous for best part of both of our lives and are punching well above their sights when it comes to courting, attendance-wise. :lol:

Last edited:
Nope... That's not my argument at all.

Whilst you can consider the metro population of the North East because there are only two major clubs, therein, you simply can't do the same with the surrounding area of Birmingham because there are so many other teams to take into account. Other than the three already named, Leicester, Wolves, Coventry, Derby and others will all dip into that 3.7 million. There are really no other clubs in our catchment area... Of course, you already know that but it doesn't suit your agenda.
If you include the rest of the clubs in that conurbation you then must include their populations. If you're saying that Leicester eats into Aston Villa's potential fanbase then it's only reasonable to expect Aston Villa to eat into Leicester's. Your argument seems to be that Aston Villa's low average attendance is because of all these other clubs and because Newcastle is the only club it must then have a monopoly on the entire population of Tyneside, Northumberland and some of County Durham. This completely ignores the rest of the point; Aston Villa's attendances are dropping and they have the lowest attendance as a percentage of their capacity. You can say that's because they've other clubs nearby, but that's nonsense. Their overall fanbase may be affected by these competitors, but the match-going attendances won't be. Unless you're suggesting Aston Villa have lost all but c30,000 fans?

This is just a plain lie though, isn't it? :oops:
They have the lowest average attendance by capacity in the Premier League, I'd have thought my point was obvious, apparently not.

Wouldn't know and wouldn't want to find out, personally.
Look lads, it's a "BANTER". :lol:

Tidied that for you. Face it... both clubs have been hideous for best part of both of our lives and are punching well above their sights when it comes to courting, attendance-wise. :lol:
I know... that's been my point for all of this :lol:

"Being a lad born in a city that has the river wear running through it, I always loved Sunderland. I would have liked nothing better than to manage them. However, it just never seemed to happen. Of course when the regions second club Newcastle came knocking it was a good enough reason to come back to the north east and was better than nothing."

Bobby Robson.

Easy this game.

you spoilt it at the end like;)

They think they are too big a club for the Johnstones Paint Trophy. Do they realise they are playing in the Championship?! Benitez flooding the squad with bang average Championship players as well

Dunno, it might, it might not. But do you realise you're arguing the toss in a hypothetical situation where I said what the club would likely do, not what the outcome of that effort would be.

re: our "mega signings" not trying hard enough, I agree and I'm pretty sure it's the consensus... so I'm not sure why you bring it up?

No, I don't think their CVs match up at all. GW has won the Dutch cup twice and their league once and he's picked up a couple of personal honours, but Benitez has won La Liga, the FA Cup, he is the only manager in history to have won the UEFA Europa League, UEFA Super Cup, UEFA Champions League and the FIFA Club World Cup. He's got a couple of promotions in his career too.

You are a second division club, deal with it.

If you include the rest of the clubs in that conurbation you then must include their populations. If you're saying that Leicester eats into Aston Villa's potential fanbase then it's only reasonable to expect Aston Villa to eat into Leicester's. Your argument seems to be that Aston Villa's low average attendance is because of all these other clubs and because Newcastle is the only club it must then have a monopoly on the entire population of Tyneside, Northumberland and some of County Durham. This completely ignores the rest of the point; Aston Villa's attendances are dropping and they have the lowest attendance as a percentage of their capacity. You can say that's because they've other clubs nearby, but that's nonsense. Their overall fanbase may be affected by these competitors, but the match-going attendances won't be. Unless you're suggesting Aston Villa have lost all but c30,000 fans?

They have the lowest average attendance by capacity in the Premier League, I'd have thought my point was obvious, apparently not.

Look lads, it's a "BANTER". :lol:

I know... that's been my point for all of this :lol:
I keep forgetting that attendance figures go on capacity. Only in a mags world would this be the case.

If we're not top 2 in January and struggling, we'll spend again. We've a lot of money compared to teams down there, and we're an attractive prospect.

Bet however you fancy, but I'd put it to you that your bias is overtaking reason.

I'm not sure if you're being serious with the first two points.

The latter, I've already addressed. If we'd stayed up & finished midtable we wouldn't have sold Wijnaldum, Townsend etc, but as your fellow Sunderland fans state, we need graft in the Championship. I'd rather Matt Ritchie in the Championship than Wijnaldum and I'd rather Wijnaldum in the Premier League. Hope that helps.

I'm quietly confident about automatic promotion, but we won't really know what the craic is until we've got a few games under our belts. Hopefully now that Rafa Benitez has a full pre-season and control of the transfers we'll see what he can actually do at Newcastle. Confident he'll be fine, he's certainly got the CV to suggest the Championship isn't an unassailable challenge.

I fancy Norwich to win it, but I guess runners up is up for grabs

In every metric you care to bring up, Birmingham (and it's surrounding areas) dwarf Newcastle. Birmingham City and West Brom may chip away at that 3.7m, but it is pointless to try and suggest Aston Villa's poor attendance is because they're losing fans to the other clubs. It's because their fans are staying away.

The subsect of Birmingham and it's surrounding areas that would identify themselves as Aston Villa fans aren't attending. The subsect of Newcastle and it's surrounding areas that identify themselves as Newcastle fans are attending and doing so in numbers that haven't changed that much in years.

Yep - since the invention of football in 1992

You are a second division club, deal with it.
Do you honestly think I'm either unaware, or that I've not accepted it? :lol:

I keep forgetting that attendance figures go on capacity. Only in a mags world would this be the case.
I fear you've jumped into a conversation and as such may have misunderstood. :(

I fancy Norwich to win it, but I guess runners up is up for grabs

Yep - since the invention of football in 1992
I'd put Norwich as a good shout to win it, but they've not yet strengthened and have lost Redmond who would have torn up that division.

Association Football has been around much longer than that, and evidence of games played by kicking a ball exist way back in antiquity...

Oh, wait, you're being hilarious and original by suggesting that all Newcastle fans only discovered the sport because of our brief dalliance with success that followed Keegan's appointment. Gotcha. The common reply to something like that on here is "Chertle" isn't it?

:lol: Jesus wept, the standard of digs is pitiful.

Last edited:
It depends what point he was trying to make with the stat.

I'd assume he was saying that it is remarkable that, given the size of SJP, having c93% average attendance when the team is in the doldrums, and he's right. 49k through the door, on average is impressive. Compare it to another "big" club that was fighting relegation; Aston Villa. They managed only c79% and 34k through the doors. Birmingham has a population of a little over 1,000,000, Newcastle's is a little under 300k. They've a huge population to attract from and despite there being 2 other teams in their city, they're not able to fill their stadia to the same degree as teams like Newcastle or Sunderland.

If that was his point he's right, that both North East teams regularly have near max capacity attendances should be a source of pride.

The 1992ooners still think that Champions League football is closer than relegation - even now. :lol:
The alternative is for them to watch us (again?) so, as they believe that you are superior to us, that will never happen and the high crowds continue.

If NUFC had experienced the shit SAFC have in recent times, without the added bonus of losing cup finals and league titles, no way in hell would you get the crowds that you do, now.
Your lot are deserting now, and you have merely encountered a blip, in comparison to our recent bad times.

I do like how when NUFC attendances are mentioned now it is that they 'almost' sell out.
It wasn't long ago that you idiots were still inisting that you do, every game.

Maybe there is hope, yet.

By the way who said we'll walk the league, was it the Mag at Work? And it's interesting that the players that this board have called worse than shit all season are now Newcastle's best players :lol:

Every one of you think that you are favourites and that you are too good for the league.
Highly ironic.

Your best players are still shit players. It's not hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back