RTG Getting pop-ups, Audio, redirects, ads overlaying text, malware reports from ads please read this

A couple of suggestions for Chrome users. I appreciate this doesn't address the problem at source, but may sort things out for you

1. Block popups in the browser if they aren't already (Settings|Content Settings|Block pop-ups)
2. Switch to desktop mode when viewing RTG (Request Desktop site ticked).

A couple of suggestions for Chrome users. I appreciate this doesn't address the problem at source, but may sort things out for you

1. Block popups in the browser if they aren't already (Settings|Content Settings|Block pop-ups)
2. Switch to desktop mode when viewing RTG (Request Desktop site ticked).
I already have block pop ups on. It still redirects.
However, I have requested desktop site.

Big old google just announce that sites that run these interstitial ads will be demoted also soon.

Brilliant! They are one of the networks responsible for delivering them when they shouldn't be.
We shouldn't receive any interstitials/popups or re-directs here in theory. I hate them as much, if not more than anyone else.

Brilliant! They are one of the networks responsible for delivering them when they shouldn't be.
We shouldn't receive any interstitials/popups or re-directs here in theory. I hate them as much, if not more than anyone else.

Can I ask, why the issue has not been resolved? Is it a case of the site needs adverts to run so it's tough shit? Adverts remain?

Basically yes, I need money to run the site. The ads are the main source of revenue and without them I would have to shut the site down.
Contributions are optional and I hope they will always remain that way, but they don't even come close to paying the server rental, never mind the backups, software licences and some cash for my time (I am self-employed, so time spent here means I am not earning anything elsewhere)

The problem is that we don't sell the advertising directly, but go through agencies and advertising networks (like Google AdSense) and these in turn also sell on the adverts on Real Time Bidding markets, which means that almost anyone putting in a bid can place an ad here.
The networks and bidding exchanges are supposed to vet all of the ads, but the spammers/scammers are always finding ways around it,

The problem is widespread and has affected many premium sites, not just here.

I have put a lot of hours into trying to track things down, but it is tricky with the chain of supply and the fact that I have very rarely seen the problem myself (although I did get a popup this morning)

Basically yes, I need money to run the site. The ads are the main source of revenue and without them I would have to shut the site down.
Contributions are optional and I hope they will always remain that way, but they don't even come close to paying the server rental, never mind the backups, software licences and some cash for my time (I am self-employed, so time spent here means I am not earning anything elsewhere)

The problem is that we don't sell the advertising directly, but go through agencies and advertising networks (like Google AdSense) and these in turn also sell on the adverts on Real Time Bidding markets, which means that almost anyone putting in a bid can place an ad here.
The networks and bidding exchanges are supposed to vet all of the ads, but the spammers/scammers are always finding ways around it,

The problem is widespread and has affected many premium sites, not just here.

I have put a lot of hours into trying to track things down, but it is tricky with the chain of supply and the fact that I have very rarely seen the problem myself (although I did get a popup this morning)

Fair enough. If I signed up to the contributor thing, would it absolutely eliminate the adverts and redirection to the App Store etc ?

Fair enough. If I signed up to the contributor thing, would it absolutely eliminate the adverts and redirection to the App Store etc ?

Yes on the forums, but you would still see the ads on the main readytogo site as there is no logon on there to detect who you are.
Sucuri independently verify the site itself to check we remain malware free.

There is a one month trial of "ad free" which is £1, but as you have had so much hassle, I'll add you to that free for a month to confirm whether or not is sorts things out for you if you want?

Now if only the search engine division would speak to the doubleclick and adsense divisions!

Haha as if, Adsense -"put banners above the fold " .... Search " mind we will demote you as bad user experience and top heavy"

Sort of on topic, ive a site (nowhere near this traffic, 250k uniques a month) and I trialed www.buysellads.com , they take 20% but you call the shots on who can be on the site.

buysellads rejected our application some time back. Unfortunately lots of places don't want to associate themselves with footy forums, they really don't see the value of the communities that exist. I do use adslot which are similar (see the Advertise button at the bottom left) but haven't even reached the minimum withdrawal figure in 2 years of use. I have also been tied to another agency for our "direct" selling for the last 12 months but that agreement will be ending next month. ....anyway this is all off-topic for this thread really.

Yes on the forums, but you would still see the ads on the main readytogo site as there is no logon on there to detect who you are.
Sucuri independently verify the site itself to check we remain malware free.

There is a one month trial of "ad free" which is £1, but as you have had so much hassle, I'll add you to that free for a month to confirm whether or not is sorts things out for you if you want?

Yes roger, that would be ideal. Give me a handle to have a look at it.

Oof! I was beginning to wonder what the fuss was as I use Safari on iOS and only very occasionally get flipped out.

I was running some tests which meant I had to run Chrome and I hadn't even got past the SMB home page before it threw up flip after flip to the App Store. As some have mentioned, totally unusable.

Awful of my iphone6 when connected to 3G or 4g. Pretty much unusable - latest IOS Version , with EE.
Not a single problem on same device on wifi . Does that help at all ?

Back