Floodlights @ Emirates ICG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tslked to a resident today who told me that the main objection appears to be that the floodlights will be permanent and not retractable as they have at Lords. But they also stated that they have heard that this is a done deal and it will happen. It has been allegedly stated that the floodlights will be used 20 times per annum. How come? I can only assume that with floodlights the club will be able to stage day/night games that will be televised. Be interesting too see what happens.

I tslked to a resident today who told me that the main objection appears to be that the floodlights will be permanent and not retractable as they have at Lords. But they also stated that they have heard that this is a done deal and it will happen. It has been allegedly stated that the floodlights will be used 20 times per annum. How come? I can only assume that with floodlights the club will be able to stage day/night games that will be televised. Be interesting too see what happens.
With floodlights presumably all limited overs games will start later which would be 12-14 games. With International games and more concerts envisaged this would take them close to a maximum of twenty. .

With floodlights presumably all limited overs games will start later which would be 12-14 games. With International games and more concerts envisaged this would take them close to a maximum of twenty. .
Aye good points.

Are the club paying for them, or are they looking for a hand out from the ECB.
I'm asking myself the same question. I know that the pitch was redone with money that included a donation from Sky TV. I'm assuming that money is coming from the ECB plus perhaps Sky TV. The incentive for Sky TV is that if there is an international or a televised match that they want to show from our place then there is more chance of it being on and of it being shown at a time to suit their viewing audience if the pitch is sound and there are floodlights.

The ones at Lords BTW are class. Then again you wouldnt expect anything else down there.

I'm asking myself the same question. I know that the pitch was redone with money that included a donation from Sky TV. I'm assuming that money is coming from the ECB plus perhaps Sky TV. The incentive for Sky TV is that if there is an international or a televised match that they want to show from our place then there is more chance of it being on and of it being shown at a time to suit their viewing audience if the pitch is sound and there are floodlights.

The ones at Lords BTW are class. Then again you wouldnt expect anything else down there.
It just that this time 2 years ago they could not afford an inflatable tent for some outdoor pre season nets and now they are talking about investing in foodlights. Sky are desperate for midweek internationals to be day/night for viewing figure and are probably the driving force behind the ECB criteria for future internationals to be played at grounds with them.

It just that this time 2 years ago they could not afford an inflatable tent for some outdoor pre season nets and now they are talking about investing in foodlights. Sky are desperate for midweek internationals to be day/night for viewing figure and are probably the driving force behind the ECB criteria for future internationals to be played at grounds with them.
It wouldnt surprise me.

It often works like that, there are grants available for some things, such as ground improvements but not for others. I think they've part funded the nursery or whatever they're calling it with grants.

They're the same as people who move next to pubs etc and then complain about the noise and people drinking outside. Wankers is the official name for them I believe.

Or like the woman who had a right go at me for parking in front of her house (which did not have a drive) next to Hetton footy ground before a reserve game. She said 'you can't park there' and I said 'yes I can as I have valid road tax, you don't have a drive and there are no parking restrictions'. She then said, 'we have to put up with this every time there is a match on'. People may be able to correct me, but that ground has been there for nearly 100 years??

Why move next to a football ground then moan when people park there for a match? Does she think all matches after she moved there should be cancelled and the ground demolished? or perhaps they should consult her in advance to find out when she will be out, so they can play a match then?

I bloody hate NIMBY's. When you buy a house you buy just that, the bloody house. You have not bought the road in front of the house or the right to dictate to all and sundry in the neighborhood what they can and can't do, especially if they were there first.

Last edited:
The planning application has been submitted to the County council, today I think.

The application is on the Durham Planning website
http://publicaccess.durham.gov.uk/o...do?activeTab=makeComment&keyVal=NL5U2CGDK0N00

So far 85 comments of which 60 are from the public. Most objectors are local residents and one from the Trustees of the Lumley 1988 Settlement and the Earl of Scarbrough, who own the Lumley Estate, including Lumley Castle and Park.
The main objection is light pollution and detriment to the visual amenity of the area.

The previous application in 2008 was withdrawn so that the application for the then new stands and other ground developments (Gateway building and Hotel) could proceed.

The application is scheduled to be heard on 30th April. the work being carried out at the moment is so that the ligghts can be erected quickly if and when the application is approved. They expect ,if approved, for lights to be available for some games later in this season.

Last edited:
Floodlights well and truly on their way. Can't get many places in the ground due to the floodlight foundations being put in.

Or like the woman who had a right go at me for parking in front of her house (which did not have a drive) next to Hetton footy ground before a reserve game. She said 'you can't park there' and I said 'yes I can as I have valid road tax, you don't have a drive and there are no parking restrictions'. She then said, 'we have to put up with this every time there is a match on'. People may be able to correct me, but that ground has been there for nearly 100 years??

Why move next to a football ground then moan when people park there for a match? Does she think all matches after she moved there should be cancelled and the ground demolished? or perhaps they should consult her in advance to find out when she will be out, so they can play a match then?

I bloody hate NIMBY's. When you buy a house you buy just that, the bloody house. You have not bought the road in front of the house or the right to dictate to all and sundry in the neighborhood what they can and can't do, especially if they were there first.

Same with people who move next to a pub then complain about noise at kicking out time, fannys

Floodlights well and truly on their way. Can't get many places in the ground due to the floodlight foundations being put in.

All the word so far is done "at risk" - No guarantee the application will be approved.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't the football pitches out the back (where Hartlepool/Newcastle have trained in the past), have floodlights already on them?

http://publicaccess.durham.gov.uk/o.../DM_15_00808_FPA-29_BRADMAN_DRIVE-1571849.pdf

Just reading one of the objections - "Highway Safety" - The sheer size and visual impact on the landscape will unavoidably cause distractions to road users. There are a number of high speed busy roads in and around the area, not least the A1 motorway. The issue of road safety should therefore be considered a material matter when reviewing the planning application"

The same objection mentions the golf club were rejected planning application to build an extra storey on their club house which seems very extreme indeed.

The same objection mentions "the loss of view on my property" - erm what "loss of view" exactly??

Another objection http://publicaccess.durham.gov.uk/o...DM_15_00808_FPA-23_HERMITAGE_PARK-1571755.pdf suggests the floodlights would make the area a less family friendly area, hence affecting youths in the area as many families would be put off by the appearance of the floodlights. How does that work exactly??? "sorry son we're not going to watch Durham tonight in T20, as those floodlights look horrible". Somehow I don't think so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back