Everton another point deduction?

Right, I take it Luton will also be suing Forest as well then, and Leicester, and Manchester City when they are eventually found guilty of at least one of their 115 charges?

It’s bullshit that has been peddled in the media for a while now and sod all has happened.

I bet you Forest and Leicester were named as one the clubs that ‘could’ sue. I can’t wait for their impending litigation whilst they are also under sanction for their own PSR breaches.

How about Burnley and Leeds? They’re all going to be suing Everton for what… spending their own money and then being punished in accordance with the rules that have been agreed by all 20 PL clubs?

It’s just not going to happen!
Leicester would argue they are already 50m down due to Everton staying up last season, staying up when arguably the points dock should have happened last year.

Leicester would argue they are already 50m down due to Everton staying up last season, staying up when arguably the points dock should have happened last year.

And how would the delay in sanction be Everton’s fault?

Leicester ‘could’ argue that Man City’s breach of PSR rules provided a non-quantifiable sporting advantage that cost them their place in the league. They ‘could’ do that, but they won’t.

And correct me if I am wrong, but Leicester’s breach of PSR applies to season in which they were relegated?

Last edited:
And how would the delay in sanction be Everton’s fault?

Leicester ‘could’ argue that Man City’s breach of PSR rules provided a non-quantifiable sporting advantage that cost them their place in the league. They ‘could’ do that, but they won’t.

And correct me if I am wrong, but Leicester’s breach of PSR applies to season in which they were relegated?
They can sue the PL as well for their delay, and Everton due to their breach directly causing significant disadvantage to Leicester.
From post 302 - But the FA arbitration panel in the Tevez case clearly established that a club can bring action directly against another club for the consequences of a rule breach even in circumstances where there was a concluded disciplinary process. That’s what forced West Ham to settle. More recently, a pending arbitration claim from Middlesbrough was material in holding up Derby’s exit from administration and got them a wedge as well. Again, even though the disciplinary process was complete. Can’t see why this would not apply to Luton/ Everton.

Last edited:
They can sue the PL as well for their delay, and Everton due to their breach directly causing significant disadvantage to Leicester.
From post 302 - But the FA arbitration panel in the Tevez case clearly established that a club can bring action directly against another club for the consequences of a rule breach even in circumstances where there was a concluded disciplinary process. That’s what forced West Ham to settle. More recently, a pending arbitration claim from Middlesbrough was material in holding up Derby’s exit from administration and got them a wedge as well. Again, even though the disciplinary process was complete. Can’t see why this would not apply to Luton/ Everton.

The Tevez case was very different. The sporting advantage was very much quantifiable: a player that was ineligible to play scored the winning goals that demonstrably kept West Ham in the league. If it had gone to court, they’d have stood a good chance of success. Hence West Ham’s willingness to settle.

Middlesbrough were able to prevent Derby from exiting administration with their claim for compensation; Derby paid up to get out of administration, not out of fear that Boro would be successful in a long protracted court battle.

I’d love to see Luton sue the Premier League, lol.

Leicester would not be able to directly link Everton’s expenditure to their own relegation, and they were also in breach of PSR rules during the season that they went down!

Last edited:
A. Just using one example, Luton. Nowhere near breaching the rules. Some of the others possibly the same.

B. There is a legal basis. See @Fleagle post number 302 + sports lawyer stating it can be done not a football writer.
Luton weren’t even in the league the season Everton are getting done for

Again more chance of Doncaster Rovers suing Everton
Leicester relegation was down to appointing Dean Smith ffs if they appointed a half decent manager they’d have stayed up

Also if Maddison hadn’t missed a penalty at 2-1 against Everton at the back end of last season they would’ve stayed up

The points deduction this season and not last season is on the PL head not Everton’s they don’t make the rules up

Last edited:
"Meanwhile, total debts have grown since and the club is now thought to owe almost £550m to third-party creditors". Wow.

“The idea that Everton are investible as a ‘going concern’ is becoming increasingly absurd,” wrote the Everton blogger The Esk last month.
And I assume those debts exclude payments that will be due to Laing o’rourketo get the stadium completed

Like anyone that lends money, extending the repayment to rmf would have come at an additional cost too for the extra months grace, and may well not be sorted then either

Way too many people lending to Everton, all wanting their pound of flesh.
all Everton seem to be doing atm is drowning inch by inch as they borrow monthly just to keep the lights on. Bearing in mind 777 are having to borrow themselves, it’s not like it’s their money they are pumping in

I suppose a new owner could come in and mortgage the new ground to effectively have a leveraged buy out but that’s gonna cost the club millions upon millions for years to come at what will be terrible interest rates.

Or there may be buyers who think you know what the club isn’t worth that much, maybe better (for a new buyer) to see it go pop then buy up the pieces at a fraction of the cost and restart.

Either way it’s plain to see any decent players they do have are up for grabs his summer and if they have to be sold by June 30th for accountancy purposes they may not get the best price for them if other clubs want to haggle or ant pay massive fees because of their own ffp worries

But even by selling their Crown Jewel players, that then weakens the team with the potentially cheap replacements they may have to buy, so they may survive on the pitch this season but the prem will be stronger next season with the teams coming up so may not be as lucky then, with every chance they could cop for new points deductions again if the finances ain’t right

It’s no one’s fault but the owners and their crazy money spending over recent years and terrible value for money they got from shit players.
I guess they can count themselves lucky dele alli has only cost them his absurd wages no doubt for the few games he has played so they haven’t had to stump up to spurs as well

"Meanwhile, total debts have grown since and the club is now thought to owe almost £550m to third-party creditors". Wow.

“The idea that Everton are investible as a ‘going concern’ is becoming increasingly absurd,” wrote the Everton blogger The Esk last month.
They are working more by the month as well with 777 funding the club, I’d expect them to call that in as soon as they realise they aren’t going to get the club, I’m not sure what their end game if they did actually end up owners is though given they can’t find the money to secure the deal

They are working more by the month as well with 777 funding the club, I’d expect them to call that in as soon as they realise they aren’t going to get the club, I’m not sure what their end game if they did actually end up owners is though given they can’t find the money to secure the deal
I’ve an awful feeling it’s gonna be mortgage the club upto it’s eyeballs via the stadium and future earnings to repay what they borrow to buy it, since it seems they themselves are borrowing to keep pumping money in
It’s not like the glazers borrowing on the back of manu which was debt free so were probably their own worst enemies in that respect and are stuck with those leeches, as Man U is a huge cash cow. We all know Everton isn’t anywhere near the earning power of Man U
They’ve little in the way of playing assets,and overall revenue isn’t massive, it the new stadium may lift that considerably, but if there’s huge debts to pay back from the uplift of revenue the ‘team’ itself won’t have the scope to prosper from that.
Even the loan from rmf is coming in at 10% interest so that ain’t cheap monthly just carrying that
With the added complication of deferring the repayment to rmf by a month hasn’t solved it just put another month on the timer as they scramble for funding. And to get that extra moneys leeway did it cost them even more money?
Months*

Last edited:
I’ve an awful feeling it’s gonna be mortgage the club upto it’s eyeballs via the stadium and future earnings to repay what they borrow to buy it, since it seems they themselves are borrowing to keep pumping money in
It’s not like the glazers borrowing on the back of manu which was debt free so were probably their own worst enemies in that respect and are stuck with those leeches, as Man U is a huge cash cow. We all know Everton isn’t anywhere near the earning power of Man U
They’ve little in the way of playing assets,and overall revenue isn’t massive, it the new stadium may lift that considerably, but if there’s huge debts to pay back from the uplift of revenue the ‘team’ itself won’t have the scope to prosper from that.
Even the loan from rmf is coming in at 10% interest so that ain’t cheap monthly just carrying that
Yes, keep seeing the stadium as this big saviour down the line if they can battle through til then but it’s hard to quantify what benefit it will have (fence sitting rather than saying it won’t to the degree hoped), how much demand is there for Everton tickets? I know they pretty much always fill Goodison but no idea how hard (or not) they are to get hold of and if they could get 10s of thousands of more in each week with availability, you’d expect the new place to be full regardless first year or 2 for the novelty but does that sustain if they are crap on the pitch? Or does it even really get going if they are already in the Championship? They’ve got a solid fan base but given they haven’t been out of the top division in recent memory and very little at all in their history it’s difficult to tell

Yes, keep seeing the stadium as this big saviour down the line if they can battle through til then but it’s hard to quantify what benefit it will have (fence sitting rather than saying it won’t to the degree hoped), how much demand is there for Everton tickets? I know they pretty much always fill Goodison but no idea how hard (or not) they are to get hold of and if they could get 10s of thousands of more in each week with availability, you’d expect the new place to be full regardless first year or 2 for the novelty but does that sustain if they are crap on the pitch? Or does it even really get going if they are already in the Championship? They’ve got a solid fan base but given they haven’t been out of the top division in recent memory and very little at all in their history it’s difficult to tell
Depends how it’s filled ticket wise, could push up away allocations, but they may find likewest ham did they have to massively discount kids tickets and the like to get that uplift over time.
Match day wise I’ve no idea what’s in the new stadium but I suspect it willhave a lot more money taking ventures, food, bars and club shops etc which will lift match day revenue, and they’ll go forthe concerts as well now too and England girls games etc all extra coin
But and it’s a big but, if they are effectively paying off not greatly structured debt at high rates for years to repay all these loans and everything else it’s not really growing, more surviving.

If you look at the way spurs and no doubt arsenal did it, they took out big loans to pay for the stadiums but much like mortgages were over a decent stretch of time, manageable payments and still able to profit from match day revenues, being in London with big prices and a lot of retail and hotels space etc made theirs a massively different proposition.

Last edited:
The PL passed Moshiri on their owner test yet he’s ran them into the ground and basically washed his hands of them (Once his mate got sanctioned) leaving a mess

Yet they deduct points like it’s the players and fans at fault

The PL passed Moshiri on their owner test yet he’s ran them into the ground and basically washed his hands of them (Once his mate got sanctioned) leaving a mess

Yet they deduct points like it’s the players and fans at fault
The league has never said it’s the players or the fans fault.
But Everton is a business and as such has been ran into the ground by spending absolute shit tons of money on crap players in the past, and having an owner that just kept doubling down without for seeing or caring what his actions would cause. As such Everton are subject to the rules of running the club financially that allthe other clubs are subject to as well.

Man City will no doubt be cited and they should get theirs at some point but it’s a different case and is massively more intricate

Back