eSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all of these people would disagree with you -

Logon or register to see this image
That's just an audience. They can disagree all they want, but they're just watching some other people play a video game. There have been huge crowds for any number of non-sporting events in the past. ;)

That's just an audience. They can disagree all they want, but they're just watching some other people play a video game. There have been huge crowds for any number of non-sporting events in the past. ;)
That's one hell of an audience mind and a one with live commentators streaming to millions of people on the internet too :lol:

Its sports entertainment because its a competition that people find entertaining to watch. If you don't like esport or don't understand it, then that's fine but its more than a video game to the people watching.

Its like watching Messi play for Argentina for some and they support their favorite teams/players and cheer them on like in football. They try and copy styles and try to watch competitors closely for tips and tricks.

Its already huge and its only getting bigger at the minute.

How do you explain 4 million viewers for a $10 million prize pool in the recent Dota 2 tournament which was actually on ESPN channel back in August?
I think you're just unable to accept that it's a thing people enjoy doing/watching, it's never going to be everyone's cuppa tea but to bash it saying its for geeks etc is delusional

How do you explain 4 million viewers for a $10 million prize pool in the recent Dota 2 tournament which was actually on ESPN channel back in August?
I think you're just unable to accept that it's a thing people enjoy doing/watching, it's never going to be everyone's cuppa tea but to bash it saying its for geeks etc is delusional
ESPN boss claims eSports not a sport. I couldn't give a damn who's watching it to be honest, it's still not a sport. The Cube on ITV is watched by millions and has a big cash prize. Doesn't make it a sport. And I can accept people watching/doing it, just not their wrongful claims that playing a video game is a sport.

ESPN boss claims eSports not a sport. I couldn't give a damn who's watching it to be honest, it's still not a sport. The Cube on ITV is watched by millions and has a big cash prize. Doesn't make it a sport. And I can accept people watching/doing it, just not their wrongful claims that playing a video game is a sport.

You've not really listened to anyone's posts have you.. Does The Cube have 2 people competing against each other? No therefore your comparison is completely invalid.
Find the definition of Sport. Here's a helping hand for you - http://dictionary.reference.com/

You've not really listened to anyone's posts have you.. Does The Cube have 2 people competing against each other? No therefore your comparison is completely invalid.
Find the definition of Sport. Here's a helping hand for you - http://dictionary.reference.com/
The main definition of a sport is physicality. Twist the semantics all you want, you'll never get the vast majority of the world's population to accept video games as a sport. And The Cube has two teams competing against each other so what's the difference? They are both competitive games, not sports.

The main definition of a sport is physicality. Twist the semantics all you want, you'll never get the vast majority of the world's population to accept video games as a sport. And The Cube has two teams competing against each other so what's the difference? They are both competitive games, not sports.

Dinnar what Cube you've been watching like cos the version the rest of the country has been watching has some person stood in a box with a white haired **** called Phillip Schofield talking who reckons he's funny. If that's a Sport in your books then fuck me I'm wasting my time :lol:

Dinnar what Cube you've been watching like cos the version the rest of the country has been watching has some person stood in a box with a white haired **** called Phillip Schofield talking who reckons he's funny. If that's a Sport in your books then fuck me I'm wasting my time :lol:
It's not sport in my book, didn't you pick up on that? :lol: Neither is playing StarCraft, GTA, Street Fighter or any other video game. They are merely competitions, just as The Cube is only a competition. How about the Krypton Factor then? A sport?

Does that mean he is right?

I get that we will never change your mind. I felt the same 10 year ago. The internet and modern computers have blurred the lines between what is real and not real in my opinion. This makes it hard to get your head round it.

It's not sport in my book, didn't you pick up on that? :lol: Neither is playing StarCraft, GTA, Street Fighter or any other video game. They are merely competitions, just as The Cube is only a competition. How about the Krypton Factor then? A sport?

Let's be honest, the fact you tried comparing a TV program to an Online game you're not gonna have a scooby and the fact you're the only poster so far who actually agrees I think you're just completely naive so I'm leaving it at that

Let's be honest, the fact you tried comparing a TV program to an Online game you're not gonna have a scooby and the fact you're the only poster so far who actually agrees I think you're just completely naive so I'm leaving it at that
I give up. You're completely misinterpreting my points. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanking isn't a sport unless you compete or race against another person :lol:

Wonder how many strokes a minute would class you as a pro :lol::lol:

Would professional wanking be about efficiency or endurance?

I'd consider anything that is competitive as a sport personally. I wouldn't choose to spend my time live streaming world cup DOTA2 but fair play to those that can make a living from it. I'd put it along side professional poker, with less shagging.

League of Legends this year got categorised as an official National Sport by the American Government also...

Didn't they also categorise ketchup as a vegetable?

Last edited:
It's not a sport. Calling it eSports is just a way for nerds to try and make it seem more socially acceptable, but in reality there are still no females willing to touch them at night.

Not saying it's bad to watch like, I quite enjoyed watching some kid destroy everyone on MvC3 with a PS1 pad the other month. Even the idiots with the £££ arcade sticks.

But aye, just cause I'm a bigger wanker than most doesn't mean self pleasure should be classed as a sport either.

It's not a sport. Calling it eSports is just a way for nerds to try and make it seem more socially acceptable, but in reality there are still no females willing to touch them at night.

Not saying it's bad to watch like, I quite enjoyed watching some kid destroy everyone on MvC3 with a PS1 pad the other month. Even the idiots with the £££ arcade sticks.

But aye, just cause I'm a bigger wanker than most doesn't mean self pleasure should be classed as a sport either.
That's because they are too busy playing :cool:

The problem with eSports will forever be the stereotype which comes with it.
It was born in Asia, transitioned to America but hasn't gotten a stronghold in Europe - I've myself won a few hundred Euros in Fifa 14 FUT tournaments, but would I consider myself "an eSport gamer?" would I fuck, these lucky fuckers earn excess of £50,000 salary. (no exaggeration) the most I've earnt is a weekend in the Cooper Rose.

Playing a video game is a sport? I've heard it all now like :lol::lol::lol:
It depends on what game and how you are playing it. The older generation tend not to understand why its classed as a sport.

If you play in the competitive gaming circles for around 3 to 6 months and see how it works, it probably will change your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back