England squad - Phillips has been dropped

A midfield five of Rice, Bellingham, Foden, Palmer, and Saka sounds class, and is probably the best in the world despite natural bias.

Doubt it'll happen though.

It’s not balanced however. Makes no sense to move Bellingham deeper, he’d be far less effective there

Could possibly put Stones in with Rice, and drop either Foden or Palmer in order to play Bellingham in a more advanced role. Saka imo can't be dropped.

It's either that or dropping one of them for Gallagher, who I don't rate at all.

Could possibly put Stones in with Rice, and drop either Foden or Palmer in order to play Bellingham in a more advanced role. Saka imo can't be dropped.

It's either that or dropping one of them for Gallagher, who I don't rate at all.
Wouldn’t mind Stones there. But then you have a problem at centre half (an even bigger one)

I think Palmer is a sub and you end up with Gallagher (also not a huge fan, but he adds some balance)

Th
Maybe he values been with his family more than sitting watching England play from the bench if he even makes the bench, people haven’t been getting a fair crack even in the friendly he picks the same faces regardless of their club form
Thats fair enough but why not say that from the start of the tournament? He knew where it would be , how long he would be away for and that he would be back up to Walker, there’s thousands of footballers who would give anything to be at a world cup and yet he couldn’t give a 100% to this once in a lifetime opportunity
We are better off without him

Th

Thats fair enough but why not say that from the start of the tournament? He knew where it would be , how long he would be away for and that he would be back up to Walker, there’s thousands of footballers who would give anything to be at a world cup and yet he couldn’t give a 100% to this once in a lifetime opportunity
Not from a purely football point of view we arent

Th

Will of course you pick whatever you think your best team is to win games, some you will get right, some wrong.

But you don’t give people games to keep them interested!!!

I imagine a lot of teams will have squads where 6/7 players don’t get games but are still needed in case of injuries.

That just the way it is.

Phil Foden started the game where we went out, and yes, Mason Mount came on as a sub but he also won us a penalty.

So, erm, what? 😉

Th

Prob because he didn’t realise he wasn’t even going to get one minute before he went :confused:

Well he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad then, if he is going to throw a wobbly because he isn't picked and demand to go home.
Like I said earlier there will always be players in squads that don’t get games in major tournaments, just like there will be in Rugby, cricket etc etc.

That’s just sport at the top level in major tournaments, anyone who goes in the huff in them sports just because a manager/coach picks teams to win games that happens not to include them you have to question their commitment imo.

It’s simply impossible to give everyone a game that wants one.

Last edited:
Like I said earlier there will always be players in squads that don’t get games in major tournaments, just like there will be in Rugby, cricket etc etc.

That’s just sport at the top level in major tournaments, anyone who goes in the huff in them sports just because a manager/coach picks teams to win games that happens not to include them you have to question their commitment imo.

It’s simply impossible to give everyone a game that wants one.
exactly. That's why you often find the back end of the squad (like the 23rd/24th/25th) players are bulked out with 'good pros' who are good to be around. Pretty sure that's why Conor Coady kept getting in squads - he was decent without being special, but he was never, ever gonna play and was just good around the place. Don't want a player who isn't going to play going along and just kicking off all the time and dragging down people.

exactly. That's why you often find the back end of the squad (like the 23rd/24th/25th) players are bulked out with 'good pros' who are good to be around. Pretty sure that's why Conor Coady kept getting in squads - he was decent without being special, but he was never, ever gonna play and was just good around the place. Don't want a player who isn't going to play going along and just kicking off all the time and dragging down people.
Of course you could go through every major tournament over the last 50 years and there will always be those players, who of course are very good players but not good enough to make the actual team.

It’s inevitable

Who isn't in the squad though and solanke for example isn't a direct competition to be in
Well you have loads of players who could go instead:

Mainoo
Ward Prowse
Eze
Olise (unless he chooses France)
Tomori
Lewis

Then add in players who are injured and will also be hoping to make the trip:

Trippier
James
Jones
Wilson
Mount
Guerhi
Colwill
Shaw
Abraham

Just off the top of my head, there's lots of players wanting on that plane, Rashford could easily be dropped. I'm not arsed if he goes or not but he's defo on shite form again.

Prob because he didn’t realise he wasn’t even going to get one minute before he went :confused:
That's his problem.
It's a squad game - he has no right to preferential treatment, regardless of whether he thinks he's better than others
I'm sure Southgate will find a way to negate the most positive attributes of our best players somehow
Oh yes, like he did in the previous euros?
You know , the only final England mens team have played in since 1966?

Last edited:

Mainoo
Ward Prowse
Eze
Tomori
Lewis

Trippier
James
Jones
Wilson
Mount
Guerhi
Colwill
Shaw
Abraham

Just off the top of my head, there's lots of players wanting on that plane, Rashford could easily be dropped. I'm not arsed if he goes or not but he's defo on shite form again.
Nothing to say rashford will go when other players are fit I meant who should rashford be left out for whose currently available for these games mainoo has played about 20 games eze has just come back from injury

Mainoo
Ward Prowse
Eze
Tomori
Lewis

Trippier
James
Jones
Wilson
Mount
Guerhi
Colwill
Shaw
Abraham

You've missed Alexander-Arnold.

Of those listed, I think Trippier, Guehi, Colwill and Shaw will go if fit, Wilson and Abraham only if other strikers are injured. I can't see James being risked after his fitness problems this season. Others could or might not. Lewis seems to have slipped back down the pecking order for City recently. Olise may well choose Algeria or New Zealand. He's injured anyway currently.

Nothing to say rashford will go when other players are fit I meant who should rashford be left out for whose currently available for these games mainoo has played about 20 games eze has just come back from injury
Could put any of them there. Might be good for him to be dropped for a game, make him work harder cause he's a lazy fucker when his form goes and just stands about sulking.

Back