Ellis Simms

We have to stop this as a fanbase like. We can't look at every single player we were linked with, who is now in a good run of form in hindsight and use it as a stick to beat our recruitment team.

It's not fair because if they were here the context would be completely different. It's stupid because it's obviously cherry picking certain players at certain times, and also all clubs make mistakes anyway. But most of all it's just not healthy mentally to spend all your time thinking "what if".

I wanted Simms in the summer and was told by plenty on here he's absolutely shite. If he'd had the season he has here after costing a bit of money people would be absolutely fuming beyond belief. Just because he's coming into form now (which I always thought he would, as I like him as a player) now its completely switched and people always wanted him...

We have to stop this as a fanbase like. We can't look at every single player we were linked with, who is now in a good run of form in hindsight and use it as a stick to beat our recruitment team.

It's not fair because if they were here the context would be completely different. It's stupid because it's obviously cherry picking certain players at certain times, and also all clubs make mistakes anyway. But most of all it's just not healthy mentally to spend all your time thinking "what if".

I wanted Simms in the summer and was told by plenty on here he's absolutely shite. If he'd had the season he has here after costing a bit of money people would be absolutely fuming beyond belief. Just because he's coming into form now (which I always thought he would, as I like him as a player) now its completely switched and people always wanted him...
You make some decent points but there are other examples too and the model says we invest in unproven talent.

Evening folks

Haji Wright and Ellis Simms. Lightyears ahead of Mr Gyokeres.

😎
Simms has 14 goals so far this season and a lot of assists.

He's a nightmare for defenders. He may miss chances and he may be a gangly dope but defenders are petrified of him. Wolves couldn't stop him, he ran them ragged.

Last edited:
You make some decent points but there are other examples too and the model says we invest in unproven talent.

But there's a million shit signings who are over 30 we could of made last summer too. Plenty of other teams fucked up badly with their window as well. To cherry pick particular signings/ players and say "why couldn't we have them" just not a good way of looking at football imo. It's complete fantasy. Like why didn't we sign Messi from Newells in 2000, or Pele in 1958??

I'm not defending the recruitment team, we've had 2/3 bad windows and have one last chance in the summer really. But, I'm just saying don't use Simms or someone else as a stick to beat them - it's just silly.

Said it in previous threads but the error persists.

We paid £3.5M for Simms. The £8m people keep reporting is only after add-ons. One of which is promotion, which we're as far away from as we are.

Simms to me would have been a good fit here.
Not outstanding or prolific necessarily but one of those to file under:

Don Goodman
Phil Gray
John Byrne
Steve Elliot
Fraizer Campbell
Danny Dichio

It’s annoying we didn’t get him

To be fair Coventry sold their best two players last summer for £35million. Will be interesting to see what we do when we sell the likes of Clarke, Ballard, Neil this summer.
Well we won’t get anywhere near 35 million. So won’t have that spending power. To be fair if we did we’d probably buy 35 kids and bank the remaining £10 million 🤦‍♂️.

Back