Dundee v Rangers - postponed for a second time...

To be fair I have never seen TV pick up 'another fixture' at short notice and it seems impractical to move the broadcasting crews etc. Can't think of a delay as long as 3 hours to see if the pitch clears either.

Other clubs, broadcasters and the SFA/SPFL can do anything wrong and old firm fans will always rush to tell how it's themmuns fault.
Didn't say short notice. They could have picked up another one after the split instead.

Sky don't even show their full quota of SPFL games either.

The match could have been played the same day of the postponement.

It was scheduled for 12:00 for TV was playable by 3. Just don't have that game on TV sky can pick up another fixture instead. Simple fix to the problem.

It then could have been played on the 3rd April but Sky didn't want to have the game on same time as TNT sports premier league coverage. Rangers happy to oblige as they then had a free midweek before playing Celtic.

What clubs cover their pitch btw? I've certainly never seen it in this country.

According to the reports I’ve seen mate, Dundee covered suspect parts of the pitch last night in the hope it would provide some protection from the rain. Obviously it didn’t work.

With regards to Sky, they pay for the rights which I imagine are vital to the SPL and therefore they will call the shots. The alternative is the SPL just go it alone but let’s be honest, the product isn’t that great. That’s not a dig btw.

My wife’s uncle was travelling up from Bournemouth for the original game. Had to pay to change his flights when it was picked for TV, then ended up having to come and visit us instead of going to the game when the rearranged fixture was called off 😂

Didn't say short notice. They could have picked up another one after the split instead.

That would be on Sky's shoulders. Your club would have to co-operate with broadcasters in the same situation as would any club in the league because that's part of modern football. Dundee are clearly making half a job of it if no other club in the league has the same problems with its pitch. Incompetence on the part of DFC and various bodies is a more than satisfactory analysis of the situation without dropping a conspiracy bomb about the hun media.

Given the fact they are now committed to showing a ridiculous number of EFL games, and even more PL games, it’s not likely to improve mate.

The reality for the SPL is, Sky bought the rights purely for the old firm Derby matches which attract decent viewing figures.

According to the reports I’ve seen mate, Dundee covered suspect parts of the pitch last night in the hope it would provide some protection from the rain. Obviously it didn’t work.

With regards to Sky, they pay for the rights which I imagine are vital to the SPL and therefore they will call the shots. The alternative is the SPL just go it alone but let’s be honest, the product isn’t that great. That’s not a dig btw.
They had the pitch covered in run up to Motherwell and got it playable.

The pitch was playable at 11 today but more rain just ended any chances they had. No rain occurs and rangers probably would have already had a penalty by now :lol:

Durham had four days of cricket abandoned because the rain just kept coming overnight when ground was already at saturation point.

Pretty much every bit of grass in the north of the UK has been at that point for weeks. As we saw by main A roads being made impassable yesterday.

They could have played the game sooner. Sky had other ideas that's a failure by all who helped decide that. Dundee were probably fourth in that decision process.

The pitch was playable at 11 today but more rain just ended any chances they had. No rain occurs and rangers probably would have already had a penalty by now :lol:

Durham had four days of cricket abandoned because the rain just kept coming overnight when ground was already at saturation point.

Pretty much every bit of grass in the north of the UK has been at that point for weeks. As we saw by main A roads being made impassable yesterday.

They could have played the game sooner. Sky had other ideas that's a failure by all who helped decide that. Dundee were probably fourth in that decision process.

the state of the pitch vs Motherwell was a disgrace too. To describe it as playable is a stretch.

There's a pitch about 100 yards up the street, that is financied and maintained by a championship club, that is like a bowling green. Obviously it only rains on one side of the street in Dundee.

There's simply no excuse for the state of Dens.

I hope the game is called off next week too so the SPFL can actually take action instead of kicking the can along the road.

It’s worth remembering though that Dundee benefit by the Sky TV deal mate. If the deal is anything like the English deals, they will also get a fee for the game being televised.

It’s worth remembering though that Dundee benefit by the Sky TV deal mate. If the deal is anything like the English deals, they will also get a fee for the game being televised.

aye well if they were that arsed about avoiding postponements they'd maintain their pitch to a slightly higher level than a council pitch

Have Dundee United had any home postponements this season? It's a genuine question, I don't follow Scottish football enough to know. If not, why not? How's their pitch playable? Why haven't DFC been doing the same things?

I see that matches went on in Ayr and Kirkcaldy last night. I'd consider the clubs there less reputable and less well backed than Dundee. How'd they manage to get their games on if their pitches have been soaked to saturation for weeks?

Have Dundee United had any home postponements this season? It's a genuine question, I don't follow Scottish football enough to know. If not, why not? How's their pitch playable? Why haven't DFC been doing the same things?

I see that matches went on in Ayr and Kirkcaldy last night. I'd consider the clubs there less reputable and less well backed than Dundee. How'd they manage to get their games on if their pitches have been soaked to saturation for weeks?

it's complete negligence. Amateur hour once again in Scotland.

It's Rangers though so it's funny, statement fc yada yada yada.

We had a game against Reading called off for a waterlogged pitch in our last stint in the championship(gonna say it was in August as well)

But I'm sure their were local matches going on that weekend.

I could be wrong but hasn't English championship games called off this season due to waterlogged pitches? Certainly has in league one where turnover probably comparable to Dundee FC.

Dundee Utd turnover was £8.1 million in the 22/23 accounts and Dundee was £3.2 million. Sure that plays a factor in ability to maintain a ground?

Lot of the money Dundee get back in SPFL won't all be readily available throughout season.

Last edited:
Was listening to 5 live earlier and Pat Nevin and another Scottish fella were saying a major problem for the pitch is the drainage system simply hasn’t been effectively upgraded/maintained.

Apparently other clubs, not just rangers are unhappy as they believe in neglecting the upkeep of the ground to an acceptable standard to enable fixtures to be fulfilled has allowed Dundee to keep investing in the playing squad (no idea on the accuracy of that by the way)

Regardless having the odd game postponed because of freak weather is understandable but this isn’t the first time its happened this season, it also isn’t a good look for the people involved in the running of the game up in Scotland as it feels despite knowing the pitch is an issue they haven’t thought about/considered any real alternatives (pretty shite given the league splits soon and it’s a canny crucial game for both parties)

We had a game against Reading called off for a waterlogged pitch in our last stint in the championship(gonna say it was in August as well)

I could be wrong but hasn't English championship games called off this season due to waterlogged pitches? Certainly has in league one where turnover probably comparable to Dundee FC.

Dundee Utd turnover was £8.1 million in the 22/23 accounts and Dundee was £3.2 million. Sure that plays a factor in ability to maintain a ground?

Lot of the money Dundee get back in SPFL won't all be readily available throughout season.
The postponed game vs Reading was a PL match. Torrential rain in the area. And yes, RCA had a match with Penrith called off on the same date for the same reason.

What's more, one postponement can happen to anyone because of freak weather or any number of incidents (severe weather around the ground is more likely to get a game called off, even if the pitch is playable, if there's 40k expected to be using the roads compared to if there's 400). Several postponements represent a pattern of incompetence.

The "ability to maintain a ground" isn't a luxury. It's bread and butter of running a football club. If you can't do it to the same standard as the other clubs around you and in your division and the one just down the road, to the extent where it's causing problems for other clubs and even your league releasing its fixture schedule, you're incompetent.

they've had 5 games called off including the same fixture twice mate. I've lost 2 days of work + fuel costs trying to support my team.

Dundee's lack of professionalism now means we've got to sandwich in a game that should have been played weeks ago before a cup semi final having a direct impact on our schedule through no fault of our own.

Stop defending these amateur bastards because it's Rangers because that's exactly what you're doing.

It was the PL under MON.

Back