Dublin vs Mayo

Status
Not open for further replies.

I would love to see Mayo win but I feel the Dubs will have the edge. Always a buzz in the fair city on all Ireland final day the craic will be mighty. Gonna put some Saw Doctors tunes on later anyone know the green n red of Mayo top tune.

I would love to see Mayo win but I feel the Dubs will have the edge. Always a buzz in the fair city on all Ireland final day the craic will be mighty. Gonna put some Saw Doctors tunes on later anyone know the green n red of Mayo top tune.
Aye,great song,Seen the saw doctors play live years ago in Newcastle,they were fantastic

Late point sees Mayo force a replay.
Another good pay day for the GAA.
Great to see the Kingdom young boys win the Minors final for the third year running.
I had a read about county Mayo after these threads, interesting stuff. Only about 180,000 in the county. Sean Flanagan who was captain in 1951 seems an interesting fella.

On wiki I then got reading about the sailor from Mayo who founded the argentine navy, admiral brown wasn't it? He has a statue in buenos Aires and Dublin.

Big ball game in Croke Park tomorrow, sold out 82,000 and the players don't get a cent.

Should be a good one .

Pat will be tooned in and have the cats game recorded.

There may be trouble ahead:D:D

I used to work with a lad in Dublin called Michael McNamee, used to play for Crossmaglen. When we were out having a pint people would come up all the time for a bit craic about GAA.

My Irish friends laughed hysterically when I pronounced it as it is spelled in the Queen's English. After a few days even I was calling it Balley Ar Clar. It translates to black pool doesn't it?

I also struggled with Dun Layogair.

In Celtic times there were four national roads called Slighe (ways or roads) that converged at a Ford on the river Liffey. The ford was known as Ath Cliath, which translates to Hurdle Ford so Baile Ath Cliath is the Town of the Hurdle Ford.

At the same time there was an area where the Poddle river, (now underground) joined the Liffey. This was called Dubh Linn or as we would translate it, Black Pool. At that time the Liffey was a lot wider than it is now. Dubh Linn would have been roughly to the east side of where Dublin Castle is now.

The first vikings settled (after they got fed up plundering and pillaging us for years) on the south side between the Hurdle Ford and the Black pool. (Thor'd!)

So weirdly Dublin does come from Black pool but the Irish version baile atha cliath translates to something different!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back