Dublin vs Mayo

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Irish friends laughed hysterically when I pronounced it as it is spelled in the Queen's English. After a few days even I was calling it Balley Ar Clar. It translates to black pool doesn't it?

I also struggled with Dun Layogair.

I know what you mean, when I moved to Northern Ireland I struggled (still do) with some Irish names that people use, trying to get my tongue around the pronunciation. I still struggle even with a town called Ahoghill, sounds like I'm clearing my throat when I say it :lol:

Whenever We go down south I let the wife do the talking she can be better at Gaelic than me

In Celtic times there were four national roads called Slighe (ways or roads) that converged at a Ford on the river Liffey. The ford was known as Ath Cliath, which translates to Hurdle Ford so Baile Ath Cliath is the Town of the Hurdle Ford.

At the same time there was an area where the Poddle river, (now underground) joined the Liffey. This was called Dubh Linn or as we would translate it, Black Pool. At that time the Liffey was a lot wider than it is now. Dubh Linn would have been roughly to the east side of where Dublin Castle is now.

The first vikings settled (after they got fed up plundering and pillaging us for years) on the south side between the Hurdle Ford and the Black pool. (Thor'd!)

So weirdly Dublin does come from Black pool but the Irish version baile atha cliath translates to something different!

Thanks for that mate it is interesting stuff. The irony is that in English we would pronounce it as Bailathacliath instead of Dubhlinn (i.e. Dublin)?????

There are quite a few Gaelic speakers in Mayo apparently? About 10%?

Thanks for that mate it is interesting stuff. The irony is that in English we would pronounce it as Bailathacliath instead of Dubhlinn (i.e. Dublin)?????

There are quite a few Gaelic speakers in Mayo apparently? About 10%?
Not sure of % but definitely a lot more Irish speakers down the west, Galway, mayo etc than the east.

I would've been fluent leaving school but as they say you don't use it you lose it. Shame really.

Irish speaking schools are getting more popular tho so I doubt it'll ever die out.

Not sure of % but definitely a lot more Irish speakers down the west, Galway, mayo etc than the east.

I would've been fluent leaving school but as they say you don't use it you lose it. Shame really.

Irish speaking schools are getting more popular tho so I doubt it'll ever die out.
You were raised over there then? I have only been to Dublin on about 5 occasions, looking at the West coast it looks beautiful.

I was also interested in how/why you call Kerry 'The Kingdom' i.e. I wondered why @Kingdom Bhoy was thus named. https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057009801

You were raised over there then? I have only been to Dublin on about 5 occasions, looking at the West coast it looks beautiful.

I was also interested in how/why you call Kerry 'The Kingdom' i.e. I wondered why @Kingdom Bhoy was thus named. https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057009801
No born and bred in Dublin, lived here all my life. Started following Sunderland through my dad.
He loved all sports, born and raised in cork. After the end of world war 2 they started getting the newspapers again. Him and his mates were looking at the league table and decided to pick teams to support. He liked the sound of Sunderland so went with that!

And there started many years of misery!! :lol:

The Irish for Kerry is ciarri which itself derives from ciar riocht which basically translates as ciar's kingdom.

No born and bred in Dublin, lived here all my life. Started following Sunderland through my dad.
He loved all sports, born and raised in cork. After the end of world war 2 they started getting the newspapers again. Him and his mates were looking at the league table and decided to pick teams to support. He liked the sound of Sunderland so went with that!

The Irish for Kerry is ciarri which itself derives from ciar riocht which basically translates as ciar's kingdom.

Ta, I always thought that you were native to the NE.

My auld fella was from Kerry its a tribute to him. Up the Kingdom.

I know the feeling my dad got me supporting SAFC bud.

Last edited:
Had some cracking weekends at All Ireland finals, years ago it used to be a top class sporting weekend.

Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown on the Saturday afternoon, Greyhound Derby at Shelbourne on the Saturday night and then the All Ireland final at Croke on the Sunday. Bladdered from start to finish :lol:

They then started to break it up so they were all on separate weekends sadly :(

Dun Laoghaire? I remember struggling to convince a South African lass at work how it should be pronounced as she was trying to book a ferry on the phone. Was quite entertaining. :lol:
True story. My mate was in a meeting with 2 women and one was called siobhan. The other woman was constantly referring to siobhan as sio-behan which made my mate chuckle a bit. I bet she was a sexy brunette with blue eyes and pert tits.

Last edited:
Was fortunate enough to get a ticket on Sunday morning for the match. Very exciting stuff despite Dublin being as poor as I've seen them in recent years.

Good to see a fine Kerry minor team, bodes well for the future. A wee reminder to the rest of us they haven't gone away you know!

Great weekend as ever, gutted I won't make it back over for the replay.

Was fortunate enough to get a ticket on Sunday morning for the match. Very exciting stuff despite Dublin being as poor as I've seen them in recent years.

Good to see a fine Kerry minor team, bodes well for the future. A wee reminder to the rest of us they haven't gone away you know!

Atmosphere sounded fantastic on tv,I can't see Dublin been as poor in the replay but hope Mayo can match them again and hopefully go on to win it
Is it a 5 pm throw in on October 1st,we play west brom that day at home so if it's a tea time start I might get to see the game

Atmosphere sounded fantastic on tv,I can't see Dublin been as poor in the replay but hope Mayo can match them again and hopefully go on to win it
Is it a 5 pm throw in on October 1st,we play west brom that day at home so if it's a tea time start I might get to see the game

It is a 1700 throw in, forking Dubs won't be as bad again, but here's hoping Mayo wire into them.

Always a specil day the all Ireland football final re Kerry youngsters David Clifford Sean O'Shea and Diarmuid O'Connor are highly regarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back