Director of Football or Manager

In theory with a dof players & coaches are recruited for a particular style & system & a change in coach should be pretty seamless as the dof 'should' be recruiting a man who is happy to play the same way just add a few new ideas or tweaks, he shouldn't be coming in with a completely different style & philosophy.
You shouldn't end up with a lopsided squad with too many players competing for one position & not enough for another which can happen when different managers bring in their own players.
Some of Speakman's recruitment has been spot on (some not so great). I think the British based players we've brought in whether they be experienced or u21's have largely been successful but a lot of the foreign ones either haven't come off or still need time. It's still overall a pretty decent success rate & I don't think there's any arguments that the squad has improved massively since he's been dof although I would argue his last 2 windows have been his most disappointing to date with not enough focus on improving the 1st eleven.
My problem with him is despite decent recruitment, every window shuts with us short in one position & overloaded in another. He seems to love a No.10 but wants us to play 433. The lack of cf & cdm seems to drag on every window, I sympathise slightly on the cf as good strikers are rare & we run to a tight budget but the cdm should have been rectified long before now, don't forget even before Evans's injury fans were calling for a long term replacement because you always felt he might be on his last legs.
Then there's the head coaches, each one seems very different to the other. Tbf to Beale he's the only one who looks like his preferred system is the 433 Speakman bangs on about & with Pritchard moving on there's the chance to move on from No.10's but it makes bringing in a cdm doubly important. I still think the Beale appointment makes very little sense even down to the fact Dodds took all the training sessions under Mowbray, Speakman wanted that to continue so wanted any new head coach to work with him then appoints a hands on coach who takes training himself, making Dodds pretty redundant despite the 'promotion'
We'd have a better balance if we'd just promoted the more old school Murty to be in charge & let Dodds & Proctor get on with the coaching.
To sum up my rambling I like the dof model, I just don't trust Speakman & his contradictions then arrogance when we dare to question him.

It's not football manager. You can't just pluck any player you want just because you can. The lad might not want to move simple as that. He also will be on Prem wages. We aren't paying that. He might not want to move to the NE. Loads of factors. Criticism like we should sign him, easy, is very poor.
I am aware it’s not football manager however, what I am also aware of is the club’s interested one of which at last report was Ipswich Town whom as you know have just come up from league one, this season so I can’t see there wage budget being enough to afford premer league wages, so Moore maybe within our reach, and as for plucking any player, isn’t that what kristjan gets paid for, he spends months planning apparently, for both windows, your not suggesting he hasn’t put need to sign a CDM on his white board now are you, if not what’s him and his staff doing, sitting around playing pool and cards all day. 🤔

Back