Director of Football or Manager

Same answer applies. What's saying our strikers go on a run and score goals until the end of the season. Like I said we are signing players 1 or 2 windows in advance. I made a point about Stewart when he signed it was the next season when we seen the best of him. Have the same patience with our 4 lads here now. Wyke took 2 years before he had his goal scoring season. Patience is needed
So if our recuritment is so great why havent we signed a striker for this season, but borrowed one for next season when he isnt here and signed 3 that arent ready till next year?

Is it acceptable that a Championship club have to wait 2 years (in your world) to have a functioning striker?

We all got sick of the constant new manager’s clear out of the “dead wood” every year.
Sadly we generally replaced them with worse.
Players last longer than managers at SAFC so this model works.

I’m sure that the head coach and DoF actually speak to eachother.

Explain how the recruitment on the striker situation and in general from the continent has been 'fantastic'?
Well we all know we've had issues signing a striker, but there are lots of things to consider notably budget. Speakman and his team are restricted by the money they can spend. Who have we missed out on that you think we should have signed?

As you know there are lots of clubs in the market for a striker and we're not going to break the bank. Whilst it would have been nice had a few of the strikers we signed hit the ground running, they are young and need time to develop. I'd rather that than sign a journeyman on inflated wages who loses value as soon as his contract's signed.

Of course there'll be a happy medium, but we could have missed out on targets due to a number of reasons.

I have faith in the recruitment team, I think they've got a lot more right than wrong and find the over the top criticism baffling considering they've managed to assemble a team valued in excess of £70m plus on relative buttons.

We all got sick of the constant new manager’s clear out of the “dead wood” every year.
Sadly we generally replaced them with worse.
Players last longer than managers at SAFC so this model works.

I’m sure that the head coach and DoF actually speak to eachother.
Mowbray seemed to say otherwise on the striker situation specifically.

Well we all know we've had issues signing a striker, but there are lots of things to consider notably budget. Speakman and his team are restricted by the money they can spend. Who have we missed out on that you think we should have signed?

As you know there are lots of clubs in the market for a striker and we're not going to break the bank. Whilst it would have been nice had a few of the strikers we signed hit the ground running, they are young and need time to develop. I'd rather that than sign a journeyman on inflated wages who loses value as soon as his contract's signed.

Of course there'll be a happy medium, but we could have missed out on targets due to a number of reasons.

I have faith in the recruitment team, I think they've got a lot more right than wrong and find the over the top criticism baffling considering they've managed to assemble a team valued in excess of £70m plus on relative buttons.
Excellent post

I was at the match on Saturday watching our young talented lads beating those experienced pros of Stoke.

I was thinking our recruitment team had done a great job signing these lads when the alternative could have been Alex Neil signing the likes of the dross on show for Stoke.

What's your thoughts? What would you rather?
Don't get carried away Stoke are a poor team let's see how we get on playing the teams around us

It was a very low bar, after years of mismanagement, which doesn't excuse the fact that for the past 2 transfer windows we have gone backwards compared to the recruitment at the start of KLD's ownership. The last few months on and off the pitch have been nothing short of a shambles.
You can only start somewhere. Unless you throw fortunes at it , growing a club is always going to take time and there will always be ups and downs along the way . We were all told that it would not be an overnight success and most have accepted this however some just can’t.

So if our recuritment is so great why havent we signed a striker for this season, but borrowed one for next season when he isnt here and signed 3 that arent ready till next year?

Is it acceptable that a Championship club have to wait 2 years (in your world) to have a functioning striker?
I think Rusyn is for the season but it's probably taken longer than anticipated. Remember we are still in this season.

Burstow falls into the same category however he's looked poor, his goal apart.

Saying that we were after and almost signed Stansfield if it wasn't for a change of heart. Had we signed him I very much doubt we would have signed Burstow

Why does it have to be a journeyman on inflated wages, we relied on loans for far to long for the back up striker for Stewart, that was the time to bring in the likes of Hemir or Mayenda, players that are not ready but wouldn't be expected to be starting games or being back up on the bench.The money was wasted in bringing in 4 that between them had little or no experience of English football, and of course none of that excuses the lack of a DCM since Evans got injured 12 months ago.

Long post, but end of the day the recruitment team still haven't delivered a couple of strikers and they deserve the scrutiny they are getting over it.
You mean like Preston, Hull and Ipswich.

Won 2 and 2 narrow defeats
We were terrible at home vs Hull and second half especially at Ipswich. Saturday could have gone either way if Stoke had took their chances.

Last edited:
You can only start somewhere. Unless you throw fortunes at it , growing a club is always going to take time and there will always be ups and downs along the way . We were all told that it would not be an overnight success and most have accepted this however some just can’t.
We should have started when we had only one permanent striker on the books in Stewart, bring in young lads as well as loans , the striker situation was neglected for far too long, especially when the Stewart contract saga dragged on and on and with the injuries he had.

Long post, but end of the day the recruitment team still haven't delivered a couple of strikers and they deserve the scrutiny they are getting over it.

We were terrible at home vs Hull and second half especially at Ipswich. Saturday could have gone either way if Stoke had took their chances.
We can all say that about taking chances. Look at the sitters we've missed all season

Back