Derek McGovern In The Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit like David Vaughan he was also neat and tidy but never an England standard player
I don't think Vaughan has the composure or physical ability that Colback does for a start, and isn't as good. He is an international standard player though, if you want to be pedantic.

I'm saying that it's a waste of a spot in the 11 if ALL he can do is pass the ball back or sideways. He is incredibly limited and it is ridiculous that he is anywhere near the England team.....as it is with Delph......as it was with Geoff Thomas and Carlton Palmer (both tidy players)
He can do more than just pass backwards man, come on. It's like since leaving everyone has had their brains wiped and a whole new memory of a really shite Colback implanted in its place.

And I think Delph deserves a chance, he's a young English midfielder playing regularly for an unfashionable team who has received good reviews for a season or two now and has been called up, just the kind of situation we often find ourselves in and then complain when someone else is picked ahead of our lad.

He can do more than just pass backwards man, come on. It's like since leaving everyone has had their brains wiped and a whole new memory of a really shite Colback implanted in its place.

And I think Delph deserves a chance, he's a young English midfielder playing regularly for an unfashionable team who has received good reviews for a season or two now and has been called up, just the kind of situation we often find ourselves in and then complain when someone else is picked ahead of our lad.
No, he's an unremarkable player..... His transfer hasn't changed that. Delph is average at best but it certainly adds context to your argument. Being near and tidy is not nearly enough to justify international football. Laughable that you suggest otherwise

We are obviously going to be accused of jealousy over this but I am sure we would all be saying the same things if he was still playing for us
The lad shouldn't be anywhere near an England side.
I don't think he should even be near a Premiership side. Not as a starter anyway. He's an adequate back up/utility player, or a good Championship midfielder.
He has no outstanding attributes whatsoever, he's very average in every respect.

Obviously this isn't the focus of the discussion here, but the initial quote annoys me: Geoff Thomas wasn't even the worst midfielder to be capped by Taylor. Andy Gray was a good deal worse, and less effective for a start.

And did someone really describe Carlton Palmer as tidy on this thread? That's the last word I'd use to sum up his deer-taking-its-first-steps contribution.

No, he's an unremarkable player..... His transfer hasn't changed that. Delph is average at best but it certainly adds context to your argument. Being near and tidy is not nearly enough to justify international football. Laughable that you suggest otherwise
I hate this 'neat and tidy' shit, it's taken over and totally warped the argument. You define Colback as 'neat and tidy' and then use the fact that he's 'neat and tidy' to dismiss his ability. I don't think I've used that phrase once in his defence.

And I'm not saying that Hodgson is justified in giving him a call up, I actually said that Cattermole was one of several arguably more deserving, but just trying to put up a counter argument to this constant stream of rubbish that Colback is gonna be the worst player to ever put on an England shirt, or that he should be so far away from the squad that he's not even in contention. He is in contention, he's the sort of player that if he didn't play for Newcastle having just left us that we'd be using as a good example for our players that unfashionable players at unfashionable clubs do have a chance. Plus, with the injuries and retirements, added to the fact that it's a friendly so a bit of an experimental squad, means that he's hardly guaranteed anything more than a once over by Roy and then dropped as soon as everyone else is fit.

Just because he doesn't score a 30 yard screamer every week, or have the passing range of Zinedine Zidane he's dismissed as being terrible, which is the sort of logic that saw England teams of the past just try to cram all our best players into midfield and hope that somehow it work itself out.

Whats pissing me off is not that he has managed to get in the squad. Its the fact that people seem to think that his big/high profile move to that delude lot (allegedly) has some how contributed to him getting a place in the squad.
What utter f***ing shit Pardew and his press mates spout.

I hate this 'neat and tidy' shit, it's taken over and totally warped the argument. You define Colback as 'neat and tidy' and then use the fact that he's 'neat and tidy' to dismiss his ability. I don't think I've used that phrase once in his defence.

And I'm not saying that Hodgson is justified in giving him a call up, I actually said that Cattermole was one of several arguably more deserving, but just trying to put up a counter argument to this constant stream of rubbish that Colback is gonna be the worst player to ever put on an England shirt, or that he should be so far away from the squad that he's not even in contention. He is in contention, he's the sort of player that if he didn't play for Newcastle having just left us that we'd be using as a good example for our players that unfashionable players at unfashionable clubs do have a chance. Plus, with the injuries and retirements, added to the fact that it's a friendly so a bit of an experimental squad, means that he's hardly guaranteed anything more than a once over by Roy and then dropped as soon as everyone else is fit.

Just because he doesn't score a 30 yard screamer every week, or have the passing range of Zinedine Zidane he's dismissed as being terrible, which is the sort of logic that saw England teams of the past just try to cram all our best players into midfield and hope that somehow it work itself out.

He's average and should be nowhere near the england squad. the fact he is shows how poor the england squad is

its not just colback either, you could argue the same about a lot of players in the squad

He's average and should be nowhere near the england squad. the fact he is shows how poor the england squad is

its not just colback either, you could argue the same about a lot of players in the squad

True, but that's a whole different argument.

Hodgson hasn't got a f***ing clue, as proven in Brazil. Let's pick any twat who is English and under 25.

He's talking shite. Colback is a neat and tidy player who is underrated. He is never going to be a world beater but it is just typical journalist ignorance.

Not sure about underrated, but combine it with PF ignorance/he's now a Mag and you have the worst footballer since me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back