Derek McGovern In The Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNGHTHOOD

Striker
Just commenting on Colback. "If you're an international manager and you convince yourself that Jack Colback is the answer, the question can only have been: Who will turn out to be the worst England player since Geoff Thomas?"
Derek knows his football.

He's talking shite. Colback is a neat and tidy player who is underrated. He is never going to be a world beater but it is just typical journalist ignorance.
Derek Mcgovern is just a betting tipster who writes little jokes as part of his column. He won't have been being serious (well...)

He's talking shite. Colback is a neat and tidy player who is underrated. He is never going to be a world beater but it is just typical journalist ignorance.
Why is he underrated ?
Agree he is neat and tidy and also hard working but c'mon most pro footballers can make a claim to have these attributes
Can he deliver a defence splitting pass or score on a regular basis , be a leader on the field think the answer is no
Shame he is gone but he would of only been a squad player for us as he will be for nufc sure if Tiote was fit he would not have played a game this season

Just wondering why you think neat and tidy but never a world beater is worthy of an England call up.? The 'journalist' may have been taking the pies but l dont think he's too far off the mark.

Mag or not. If, and that's one hell of an if, he goes on to be an England regular, it's because of what he did in a Sunderland shirt. Personally I don't rate the lad but hey if needs must and we can't find a few classy midfielders in our country then we (England) are well and truly up shit creek as far as world football is concerned.

We are obviously going to be accused of jealousy over this but I am sure we would all be saying the same things if he was still playing for us
The lad shouldn't be anywhere near an England side.

I can't remember him ever getting a MOTM...our best midfielder is English and even then, isn't good enough for internationals imo, so how that ginger turncoat bastard piss biscuit is, is beyond me!

Colback won't ever get close to being the worst player ever to get a cap, no one's really saying that.

Must say, the Mirror becomes more of a petty little spunkrag by the day
He'll be joking man, it's not his job to give a sensible view, it's to make a couple of cheap jokes followed by some odds. Here's an example of a column (pretty old but all I could find on the web). Not that I'm a tabloid reader mind, but at work they have the mirror, star, sun and mail and am I fuck reading the mail :lol:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/derek-mcgoverns-tuesday-betting-update-1717355

Colback, england player.

Fuck me, fuck me gently, the international football community will be sniggering, pointing, laughing.

Has it come to this.

We are obviously going to be accused of jealousy over this but I am sure we would all be saying the same things if he was still playing for us
I wouldn't. I've always rated the lad.

Exactly mate..... we can all see it. Its just like when Campbell was picked. We all laughed at how far off England quality he was....... how many caps has he had since.

McGovern is just taking the Mickey man. His jokey column is always taking the piss out of lots of people not just footballers.

Some people on here have no sense of humour.

I can't remember him ever getting a MOTM...our best midfielder is English and even then, isn't good enough for internationals imo, so how that ginger turncoat bastard piss biscuit is, is beyond me!

If Rodwell stays fit and lives up to his billing he would merit an England call up. Then we'll see if Hodgson is actually picking players for the right reasons

12 months ago people would've been over the moon if he got a call-up. Indeed, a few on here were saying it was an ourtrage that he wasnt in the squad. People were also saying that he was better than Henderson.

At the end of the day whilst he's a good player, he's not really "International Class" and certainly not in the class of Henderson. That said, we should just be pleased for the lad as moaning on about him not being good enough makes us look sad and bitter.

Why is he underrated ?
Agree he is neat and tidy and also hard working but c'mon most pro footballers can make a claim to have these attributes
Can he deliver a defence splitting pass or score on a regular basis , be a leader on the field think the answer is no
Shame he is gone but he would of only been a squad player for us as he will be for nufc sure if Tiote was fit he would not have played a game this season

Not to reopen a debate that I'm sure has been to death on here already, but his game isn't to deliver a defence splitting pass or to score on a regular basis, so that's like asking why Vito has such poor crossing stats or why Vergini hasn't scored any penalties. It's something that he could develop and would improve him as a player, but it's not essential because the point is that there's other people in the team to do that and he's the one that helps them do it.

When for so many teams the focus on football these days is about patiently keeping possession, recycling and building phases then Colback is a good fit for that, he's very comfortable on the ball, has a better range of passing then he's given credit for and is athletic and very hard working (which has a negative connotation, as if it's another way of saying he tries but is shit, or the whole Deschamps 'water carrier' thing, but that's no the case. Colback is a 90 min player who will work as hard as anyone else on the pitch. Compared to Ben Arfa, who is 10 times the footballer Colback is but puts in 10% of the effort, and so has been castigated.).

It's daft that he's been written off as shite by so many people when that isn't the case at all. He's not Ronaldo, he's not even that exciting a player, but he is a good Premier League footballer, and it's not a complete shock that after the retirements and injuries that he's been given a chance in a pretty experimental squad for a friendly. My only complaint is that Cattermole deserves it as much as him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back