Decisive action from Putin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not keen on violence. I'm applauding a leader who is sending aid to Russian speaking nationals who were part of the ussr and want to be part of Russia again. Decisive action from a leader unlike those we have in the west.

He could welcome back into the fold by giving them Russian citizenship and allowing them to resettle within the current boundaries of Russia. That wpould be decisive!

I'm not keen on violence. I'm applauding a leader who is sending aid to Russian speaking nationals who were part of the ussr and want to be part of Russia again. Decisive action from a leader unlike those we have in the west.
Hang on mate. Taking broad strokes, your view is a bit at odds with your pro Palestinian stance innit?

Ukraine has existed as a (semi) independent ethnic and linguistic entity for centuries, it got swallowed up by 'Russia' in the soviet expansion and loads of Russians moved in there usurping the Ukrainian language and customs. This is not a million miles away from how Israel did likewise with Palestine. I would have thought you would have been on the other side of this argument.

Hang on mate. Taking broad strokes, your view is a bit at odds with your pro Palestinian stance innit?

Ukraine has existed as a (semi) independent ethnic and linguistic entity for centuries, it got swallowed up by 'Russia' in the soviet expansion and loads of Russians moved in there usurping the Ukrainian language and customs. This is not a million miles away from how Israel did likewise with Palestine. I would have thought you would have been on the other side of this argument.
Food for thought. I'll get back to you.

Sounds a lot like Ireland anarl.

No that's the point I'm making. Our leaders are generally weak in the west. Apart from an oil war.
Our democracy would not allow a character like Putin taking the reins, any such person would be outed by the lefties as a right wing bigot a la Farage !!

No that's the point I'm making. Our leaders are generally weak in the west. Apart from an oil war.

I'm not sure I like this definition of a strong leader. In a democracy the leader is dependent on public support and due process to get things done so isn't in a position of unlimited power. Ideally you have an elected leader who is in a weak position but is a strong character. Putin seems to me to be the opposite.

I'm not sure I like this definition of a strong leader. In a democracy the leader is dependent on public support and due process to get things done so isn't in a position of unlimited power. Ideally you have an elected leader who is in a weak position but is a strong character. Putin seems to me to be the opposite.
We've only had one strong leader, who'd have stood up to Putin on behalf of all of Europe if necessary, in our respective lifetimes. And I bet you hate her.

Our democracy would not allow a character like Putin taking the reins, any such person would be outed by the lefties as a right wing bigot a la Farage !!
What about the one who broke the unbreakable unions and the Iron Curtain?

Last edited by a moderator:
We've only had one strong leader, who'd have stood up to Putin, in our respective lifetimes, and I bet you hate her.

What about the one who broke the unbreakable unions and the Iron Curtain?

Thatcher? Made a big show of being outwardly strong with all that Iron Lady bollocks, but I remember when she came back from a meeting with Gorby, saying "this is a man I can do business with" how laughably hollow it sounded, like the leader with all the might and power of the Soviet Union at that stage gave a shit about the thoughts of a corrupt bitch in charge of a tiny nation looking at all their glory in the rear view mirror and punching massively above their weight in international diplomacy and politics.

Thatcher? Made a big show of being outwardly strong with all that Iron Lady bollocks, but I remember when she came back from a meeting with Gorby, saying "this is a man I can do business with" how laughably hollow it sounded, like the leader with all the might and power of the Soviet Union at that stage gave a shit about the thoughts of a corrupt bitch in charge of a tiny nation looking at all their glory in the rear view mirror and punching massively above their weight in international diplomacy and politics.
And yet it was the Russian press who named her the 'Iron Lady'. Wonder why that was.

It was the Thatcher - Reagan axis that brought down the Iron Curtain. There are some good books about it.

Not willing to discuss this further on here. Any more than I'd bother discussing the pros and cons of Kevin Ball's captaincy on ToonTastic.

"Sometimes it reminded me of the kingdom of crooked mirrors because some members of the Council were not concerned about the fact hundreds of civilians are dying."

"We waited long enough. And it was time to move, and this is what we did," he said.

Russian UN ambassador. Willing to wait to get an agreement but not long enough to allow people to die. Seems strong leadership to me.

That means you are in favour of using the subterfuge of aid to utilise (allegedly) Russian Special Forces drivers to use their vehicles to disregard another country's borders.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the trucks (and their drivers) after they've delivered their "aid" cargoes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back