Danny Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he was a PL one season wonder? See it fairly regularly. Look at papiss cisse.

Yes, he's a great example.:)
The only player to have a whole season full of wonder goals and not one of the f**kers came off his foot. Every time the pundits analysed one of his "specials" he'd either shinned the f**ker or hit the opposite top corner he was actually aiming for.:):)

Yes, he's a great example.:)
The only player to have a whole season full of wonder goals and not one of the f**kers came off his foot. Every time the pundits analysed one of his "specials" he'd either shinned the f**ker or hit the opposite top corner he was actually aiming for.:):)
He did have a freaky season like, love Jozy to have one like it !

Those last 2 home games of that season (Southampton and Stoke iirc) he was an absolute disgrace. He kept standing offside from our goal kicks. It was either sheer laziness to get back onside or he was just too obese to move.

You can't be offside from a goal kick, so if we're going long towards him then it's fine

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/danny-graham.937760/#ixzz36SS8qCZR
Yes, but he's always been slow. That's the whole point. How has he got by in the past??
I isn't like he's a fast athlete who's declined after a major injury. Danny Graham got to where he was as he was.
I find it almost impossible to accept a player could score 15 goals in the top flight without having some type of game. Even if that skill was limited to losing his man in the box he must've been able to do something right. He must've had the ability to keep up and be involved in the game to score that many goals. It just isn't possible to score that many by accident.

I was thinking exactly the same .Perhaps the essence of a player and his strengths and weaknesses become clouded as they progress in the game and are asked to play to different systems at different levels etc .Someone who could probably answer the question of "what has he ever done well at ' would be one of his coaches from his teens when his game was simpler, more apparent and obviously good enough to attract interest from pro clubs.
However it is all academic now as far as SAFC is concerned as he is obviously not PL standard and is no use to us.

Just a terrible decision. Remeber seeing him come on as sub against us at their place and he looked ok. Decent touch and some skill. Not a huge goal threat but played well in their system.
However it seems to have been a decision taken on the fly without any real research into what he could offer or his personality

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/danny-graham.937760/#ixzz36SS8qCZR
I was thinking exactly the same .Perhaps the essence of a player and his strengths and weaknesses become clouded as they progress in the game and are asked to play to different systems at different levels etc .Someone who could probably answer the question of "what has he ever done well at ' would be one of his coaches from his teens when his game was simpler, more apparent and obviously good enough to attract interest from pro clubs.
However it is all academic now as far as SAFC is concerned as he is obviously not PL standard and is no use to us.
know danny then??????

WTF was M'ON thinking of, absolute shoite, turning circle of the titanic, speed of a three-toed sloth, jumping ability of a pet elephant... etc. etc...

And we paid him three times what we were prepared to pay Colback and now cannot get shot.

Reading a few threads on here made me wonder where it all went wrong for Danny Graham.
Usually when players don't depend on athleticism, speed or genuine natural talent they develop a good fundamental game. Although they never hit the heights of superstars their basics are so good they can still be very effective in a team. They're usually good at retaining the ball and finding team mates. Decisive passing is also a trait of this type of player.
Danny Graham doesn't appear to do either. I know he didn't hit the ground running in terms of scoring goals but he seemed to lose all ability to do his basic game to any effect. Is there a player in there or has his last drop of confidence in a Sunderland shirt been drained?

What was MON thinking

Was a stupid signing in the first place by O'Neill. If you're a team that likes to sit deep and counter, playing with a lone striker, he at least needs to be mobile and will be expected to get through plenty of running which is hardly DG's strong point. He also suffered from coming into a side that created very little in clear cut chances like the ones created for him at Swansea. Will probably score goals again in the Championship.

From my recall he didn't work at all hard at Swansea. He seemed to pick up the bits and pieces and chances made by others running and working their bollocks off.

Reading a few threads on here made me wonder where it all went wrong for Danny Graham.
Usually when players don't depend on athleticism, speed or genuine natural talent they develop a good fundamental game. Although they never hit the heights of superstars their basics are so good they can still be very effective in a team. They're usually good at retaining the ball and finding team mates. Decisive passing is also a trait of this type of player.
Danny Graham doesn't appear to do either. I know he didn't hit the ground running in terms of scoring goals but he seemed to lose all ability to do his basic game to any effect. Is there a player in there or has his last drop of confidence in a Sunderland shirt been drained?

Confidence is the correct answer.

With his roots and all the furore surrounding his move to Sunderland he needed to hit the ground running. The team were in the middle of a terrible run, no confidence, not scoring, creating next to nowt, so it was a disaster waiting to happen for Graham. He needed goals and he needed chances.

He got neither. A couple of chances stand out, but apart from that he was feeding on scraps. He's never going to create his own chances, and although he put in a decent shift at times, he was on a hiding to nothing with our fans.

People dont realise how much confidence can play it's part in a footballers performance. When you've got it, shots just seem to fly in from all angles, when you haven't, you can't seem to buy a goal.

Graham is an average forward who knows where the net is and how to work a back four, and that's about it. His level is probably top championship / lower premier league, aye we overpaid for him, but he was a bit of a 'panic' buy from the previous regime in some respects.

It didn't work, we have offered him a move at a knockdown fee and that's fair enough, we take a hit, but hopefully he won't be malingering on our wage bill for the duration of his contract. A fresh start is probably what he needs too.

Ta ra Danny, thanks for your efforts against the Mags, shame it didn't work out.

Not fit enough or quick enough for the PL so he is always behind the game. Looked overweight to me.

A mag at heart and MON gave him a nice payday at our expense, was never going to do anything but coast as soon as he signed that contract.

He did seem a bit of a chubster but as i said, often sportsmen who aren't gifted with natural athleticism have already found other ways to get around or counter this. He already had a reasonably long career before he joined us, some of it top flight.
Maybe that extra few pounds put him over the edge and then lack of confidence kicked in and finished him off. I just find it difficult to accept he's as bad as he appeared in a Sunderland shirt. Not that he was terrible, just he didn't seem to have an effective go to game.

How many signings could we say that about? :lol:

WTF was M'ON thinking of, absolute shoite, turning circle of the titanic, speed of a three-toed sloth, jumping ability of a pet elephant... etc. etc...

And we paid him three times what we were prepared to pay Colback and now cannot get shot.

He tried to sign Kevin Davies as well. Kevin f***ing Davies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back