Danny Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

PISTON

Striker
Reading a few threads on here made me wonder where it all went wrong for Danny Graham.
Usually when players don't depend on athleticism, speed or genuine natural talent they develop a good fundamental game. Although they never hit the heights of superstars their basics are so good they can still be very effective in a team. They're usually good at retaining the ball and finding team mates. Decisive passing is also a trait of this type of player.
Danny Graham doesn't appear to do either. I know he didn't hit the ground running in terms of scoring goals but he seemed to lose all ability to do his basic game to any effect. Is there a player in there or has his last drop of confidence in a Sunderland shirt been drained?

it all went wrong when we signed him looking nice and svelte - then within about 6 weeks it looked like he'd put on 2 stone :confused::lol:

Not fit enough or quick enough for the PL so he is always behind the game. Looked overweight to me.

A lot of players are pretty crap but have a season where everythong goes right for them. But, their natural shitness catches up. Clive Allen for example.

it all went wrong when we signed him looking nice and svelte - then within about 6 weeks it looked like he'd put on 2 stone :confused::lol:

He did seem a bit of a chubster but as i said, often sportsmen who aren't gifted with natural athleticism have already found other ways to get around or counter this. He already had a reasonably long career before he joined us, some of it top flight.
Maybe that extra few pounds put him over the edge and then lack of confidence kicked in and finished him off. I just find it difficult to accept he's as bad as he appeared in a Sunderland shirt. Not that he was terrible, just he didn't seem to have an effective go to game.

Was graham ever svelte ??

No. We were all commenting on how unfit he looked when he was pictured the day he signed. Someone took a picture of him posing at the AoL.

He did seem a bit of a chubster but as i said, often sportsmen who aren't gifted with natural athleticism have already found other ways to get around or counter this. He already had a reasonably long career before he joined us, some of it top flight.
Maybe that extra few pounds put him over the edge and then lack of confidence kicked in and finished him off. I just find it difficult to accept he's as bad as he appeared in a Sunderland shirt. Not that he was terrible, just he didn't seem to have an effective go to game.

He offered us absolutely nothing. He was decent away to the mags, that was it.

it was worrying, showed no professionalism in the slightest letting himself go like that and his performances were bollocks in the main.............hope someone takes him off our hands asap ;)

He scored 15 goals for Swansea having spent his entire career at Carlisle & f***ing Watford and we expected him to turn into a top premier league striker over night.

O'Neill probably watched the fat fucker twice on Sky and told Ellis he's our saviour.

It was a disastrous signing. I know and work with a really good mate of his and he said right from the negotiations that if he signed and was back in the area with his mates he would hit the drink big style. 18 hours before the 1-1 draw with Stoke he was on the lash.

No. We were all commenting on how unfit he looked when he was pictured the day he signed. Someone took a picture of him posing at the AoL.

He offered us absolutely nothing. He was decent away to the mags, that was it.

He was never a Linford Christie though. Also, fast sprinters aren't necessarily fast sportsmen. Being quick off the mark is almost as important. Look at John Robertson for Notts Forest for example. He was bordering on fat but he always slowed down just before engaging the defender to level the advantage then two swift steps and he was past.
As i said, by the time players have progressed as far as Danny Graham had they've already worked out ways to maximise their limited natural talent. When the chips were down he just didn't appear to have a go to game.

All went wrong? He's an average journeyman who had a couple of good seasons and a couple of bad ones.

It was a disastrous signing. I know and work with a really good mate of his and he said right from the negotiations that if he signed and was back in the area with his mates he would hit the drink big style. 18 hours before the 1-1 draw with Stoke he was on the lash.

If that's the case then he's another player who took the piss out of the club. That said, any professional who does that is taking the piss out of himself even more.

He's slow....very slow. Not quick either!!

Yes, but he's always been slow. That's the whole point. How has he got by in the past??
I isn't like he's a fast athlete who's declined after a major injury. Danny Graham got to where he was as he was.
I find it almost impossible to accept a player could score 15 goals in the top flight without having some type of game. Even if that skill was limited to losing his man in the box he must've been able to do something right. He must've had the ability to keep up and be involved in the game to score that many goals. It just isn't possible to score that many by accident.

Yes, but he's always been slow. That's the whole point. How has he got by in the past??
I isn't like he's a fast athlete who's declined after a major injury. Danny Graham got to where he was as he was.
I find it almost impossible to accept a player could score 15 goals in the top flight without having some type of game. Even if that skill was limited to losing his man in the box he must've been able to do something right. He must've had the ability to keep up and be involved in the game to score that many goals. It just isn't possible to score that many by accident.

He's a poacher....needs someone to do the work for him...a lot like Bent. Play him as a lone striker and its like playing a man down..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back