Cricket World Cup 2015 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welp, Warne was right. Aussies won by bowling India out for 233.

It's often said that the fielding restrictions have helped big hitting but they have also helped aggressive bowling and bowling sides going for wickets instead of simply trying to restrict run rate.

with these new restrictions you really more than ever need pure pace or mystery spin to take wickets.

In the older days, you could keep it tight and just take wickets by building pressure (this still happens everytime against England mind), but in the main this tactic doesn't really work.

The strange thing is, England's old philosophy with a proper opener and Trott at 3, keeping wickets in hand, is actually what most of the sides have been doing, apart from NZ and their captain obviously.

If a side can get to 30-35 overs with only 2 down, its chaos in the last 15 overs.

with these new restrictions you really more than ever need pure pace or mystery spin to take wickets.

In the older days, you could keep it tight and just take wickets by building pressure (this still happens everytime against England mind), but in the main this tactic doesn't really work.

The strange thing is, England's old philosophy with a proper opener and Trott at 3, keeping wickets in hand, is actually what most of the sides have been doing, apart from NZ and their captain obviously.

If a side can get to 30-35 overs with only 2 down, its chaos in the last 15 overs.
Oh God forgive me, I created yet another opportunity for Johnson to introduce Trott into a discussion ;)

Oh God forgive me, I created yet another opportunity for Johnson to introduce Trott into a discussion ;)

oh god no I don't want him on the ODI side, just an example of how the tactics of the ODI have changed dramatically

most teams not going hard in the first 10 overs like they used to

One player on both sides who isn't really in form is ironically the Australian captain. He's made 3 scores over 40 but 2 of those were against minnows, averaging 29.

the aussies tactics are pretty simple. they just go for it and if one batsman fails they know another will stand up and be counted. they've had plenty who have been out of form but get a score when needed, or have the likes of smith who are in such good form they get a score every other game. the whole team can get runs, even way down the order so if they do run into trouble early they can withstand that pressure and still look to post a score. then they bowl the other team out.

hope the kiwis can beat then at their own game on sunday.

KP- esque from Clarke there.

Ali, Morgan and Ballance, Bopara and so on esque too.. :)

Last edited:
Would love to see Maxwell in the Ashes squad like

His first class record in the last few years in the Sheffield Shield is quality too, he can definitely make it at test level IMO

They played him a 3 in Pakistan which was very strange, Warner and Smith made the transition, think he could be worth the gamble at 6.

Not sure about Finch mind

Well that was entirely predictable.

Looks like it's England batting in a black kit.

Last edited:
what an anti climax so far... i've switched it over to watch the syd v wellington a-league game... going the same way anarl sydney 3-0 up before half time.

I called this at the quarters stage. Said it would be an Australia vs New Zealand final, and the kiwis would struggle due to them playing their first game away from home.

I was looking forward to seeing a decent run chase for either team- that's down the swanny- oh well back to the housework it is

You have to think that Southee and Boult have to take 2 or 3 wickets between them in this 1st spell to even make it a contest.

Gettin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back