Connor Wickham skill set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is our top scorer despite being played left wing in a defensive 4-5-1 for the majority of the season under a manager who instructed his players not to attack. Suddenly looks a threat under the new manager in a better formation

And then 30 seconds later a 10 yard pass bounced off his foot, which sums him up basically. One minute he can look like a good player, the next minute an amateur. Massively inconsistent, but his effort levels seem to have gone up a notch in recent weeks so credit for that.

This for me. Very frustrating player. Falls on his arse when he should be holding it up etc. his work rate has always been decent and is very good at the moment. Shows signs of driving power runs, which is something we need. His decision making and finishing must be improved though.

That control of Pants kick in the first half was unreal.

If that was messi they would be showing it for weeks

An enigma for me.

At the end of last season he looked like a young Collymore; powerful, accurate shots and unstoppable, charging runs at defence.

Then you see him trying to control simple passes and it bounces off him in all directions. Looks like a pub player at times.

He has all the attributes to be a very good player, his problem is, he's as soft as clarts. Could do with Catts giving him a slap around the chops in the tunnel before kick off to get him a bit vexed. On second thoughts, ruffling his hair might work better. Any manager that could bring some aggression to his game would have a very effective player on his hands.

You know nothing about football then - Connor wickham is a very good footballer who will become a great player over next few years hopefully still at SAFC
I would like nothing more, unfortunately I don't see anything more than a Championship plodder in Wickham.

I don't mind him but the one thing he doesn't do, and I can't believe anyone would even debate it, is put himself about as much as he could.

We aim most of our long balls up to him for obvious reasons, yet he spends as much time looking at the defender as he does competing for the ball and putting himself about.

If that was messi they would be showing it for weeks

:lol:

One of the worst cliches in football. You've been listening to Paul Merson too much.

I'm starting to think that he's a player who has physical ability but no mental ability. Someone who's good instinctively (and in bursts of form), but will never be good in any significant way. Anton Ferdinand was similar - pelt a ball at him and he'd control it, loop a ball towards him and he'd fuck it up.

He's Kevin Kyle with very occasional superpowers. And 11 goals in 74 games with us suggests that his superpowers are too occasional.

If he's really on £60k pw, I'd be delighted to see the club move him on to free up his wages for a goalscorer. Mind, if we go down then he could have a Andy Carroll-esque career defining season in the Championship.

I'm starting to think that he's a player who has physical ability but no mental ability. Someone who's good instinctively (and in bursts of form), but will never be good in any significant way. Anton Ferdinand was similar - pelt a ball at him and he'd control it, loop a ball towards him and he'd fuck it up.

He's Kevin Kyle with very occasional superpowers. And 11 goals in 74 games with us suggests that his superpowers are too occasional.

If he's really on £60k pw, I'd be delighted to see the club move him on to free up his wages for a goalscorer. Mind, if we go down then he could have a Andy Carroll-esque career defining season in the Championship.

I'd say he's the opposite of Kevin Kyle. Kyle was limited but really put himself about and made the most of his limitations, whereas Wickham has lots of talent but is scared of doing the things Kyle would do without blinking.

Connor reminds me of my 21 month old grandson, in that he would like to kick a ball,but if he swings a foot at the ball loses balance and falls over. Connor will come good when he grows out of being a toddler.

I'd say he's the opposite of Kevin Kyle. Kyle was limited but really put himself about and made the most of his limitations, whereas Wickham has lots of talent but is scared of doing the things Kyle would do without blinking.

Fair point.

Daryl Murphy with go-faster stripes.

Can't understand the comments about his strength being the ability to run at people. Aye he runs at them, very very slowly, before being dispossessed or picking the wrong option.

His main plus point is that he's not that jug eared scottish berk.

Which of the following does Connor Wickham actually bring to the team.

1. Pace
2. Vision
3. Awareness
4. Skill
5. Touch
6. Strength
7. Finishing
8. Nice hair

I'll start with 8

Out of the ones listed on there I'd say. Touch for definite then pace and strength at a push (just not when he's against a centre half).

There is no way anyone can argue skill, vision, awareness and finishing. The lad runs into blind alleys constantly. You can't fault his effort however he seems to be a striker who isn't good enough to play upfront - if he was our best striker he'd be playing upfront and not doing a job on the wing.

Can't understand the comments about his strength being the ability to run at people. Aye he runs at them, very very slowly, before being dispossessed or picking the wrong option.

Like on Saturday where we nearly scored from his driving run from halfway you mean?

The thing about his strength is frustrating. There's times you see him being pulled, pushed and shoved by the defender, and nothing is given. However as soon as he battles back, the referee gives a free kick against him. That's no reason not to challenge at all mind, as he did a few times on Saturday.

Regardless of what division we're in next season, I hope we keep hold of him and build a side around him being our striker. He's 22 and has all the attributes to lead our line for years to come, but I'd like to see him being given an extended run up top and get in a proper left winger to play behind him.

In the Championship,with his head on straight,he could be a good striker. In the top division,he's out of his depth.

£20m in transfer fees between Fletcher and Wickham, in the region of £5-6m per year in wages.

Like has been said previously he's improved immensely since getting his first sight of Dick. He obviously likes Dick.

He can look a world beater one second then a pub player the next. This was highlighted in the Southampton game where he killed a long ball from the keeper with a lovely first touch then gave the ball away 2 seconds later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back