Connor Wickham skill set

Status
Not open for further replies.

My mate who is a Leeds fan said after his loan his spell there he offeres nowt to the table. At the time I wouldn't have it but I reckon he's right..

Which of the following does Connor Wickham actually bring to the team.

1. Pace
2. Vision
3. Awareness
4. Skill
5. Touch
6. Strength
7. Finishing
8. Nice hair

I'll start with 8
He's been great the last few games.
Strong in the air, holds the ball up well, likes to go forward with it at his feet.
He is the future of this club with the likes of PVA.
Only young, will improve, and will improve quicker if we back him and don't slag him off

Unfortunately composed finish and Wickham are unlikely to be in the same sentence of a match report. Love to see it happen and there's still time.

He's working harder under Advocaat than I've seen previously but by Christ I wish he'd pass the ball occasionally. So many times he just runs into the opposition defence when we have players open.

He's not strong / agressive enough IMO.
This, he should be unplayable the size and pace he has but he rarely dominates his opponent, he seems to go down too easily from soft challenges, whether it's a balance thing or not (top heavy?) I don't know but the size he is he's not going to get free kicks for little innocuous challenges, he needs to watch how Graham plants his feet and gets his arse out and spreads his arms, he needs to protect the ball better, all that said he is improving and works hard.

He's a decent all rounder in essence. Some weaknesses in awareness and decision making but they tend to come with experience. Hopefully he'll have time to develop them here and if he's played centrally the goals will come IMO. If we go down and he stays a front two of him and Graham or Defoe would probably be the best in the division. If we stay up then we'll need to get shot of Fletch and Graham and bring in a top striker so we can use Defoe selectively.

It's a sad indictment of safc that the endless torrent of shite we've had to watch and endure for so many years has led people to believe he's anything other than a good looking plodder. Kevin Kyle had more about him but because he wasn't bought and heralded as the next big thing he got dogs abuse.

No doubt about Connors effort and commitment but sadly he is and always will be utter shite.

Classic case of a big lad who no doubt dominated the youth scene but now being completely found out.

The lad doesn't have an ounce of natural footballing ability. Give him a second to actually make a decision after one of his 'amazing' straight line runs into open space and all is revealed.

It's a sad indictment of safc that the endless torrent of shite we've had to watch and endure for so many years has led people to believe he's anything other than a good looking plodder. Kevin Kyle had more about him but because he wasn't bought and heralded as the next big thing he got dogs abuse.

No doubt about Connors effort and commitment but sadly he is and always will be utter shite.

Classic case of a big lad who no doubt dominated the youth scene but now being completely found out.

The lad doesn't have an ounce of natural footballing ability. Give him a second to actually make a decision after one of his 'amazing' straight line runs into open space and all is revealed.
I wish he had Kyle's bravery and willingness to go in where it hurts, I don't think Connor wants his pretty boy looks rearranged tbh, if you lack that basic bottle you are never going to go to the very top imo, some limited footballer's have made good careers out of going in when the boots are flying (Harford, Whitehurst, Carroll etc) I just think he lacks that extra 10% to make a 60/40 ball in the oppo's favour his own, there is no fear factor about him.

He's putting in a shift now so no complaints from me. Hopefully he realises how much more money he can make if he reaches his potential. He spent a lot of time in a coaching set up which has been criticised on here, and when he did make the first team he's been shunted out on the wing. Big Dick has improved his confidence, he's looking good right now. What's he done to the OP?

Quality touch on Saturday. Stopped the absolutely dead
And then 30 seconds later a 10 yard pass bounced off his foot, which sums him up basically. One minute he can look like a good player, the next minute an amateur. Massively inconsistent, but his effort levels seem to have gone up a notch in recent weeks so credit for that.

Grafts his balls off, the only player capable of beating somebody. He drives with the ball really well and creates chances.

He's been excellent under Advocaat. You aren't a fan of him but he is a good player. Lacks the ability to make the right decision at times but he's our best forward.

This

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back