Claret and Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top flight champions. Look up our history. Our support is not even comparable.

Bullshit. We still averaging 40,000+ bottom of league with 2 points. You's could only dream of support like that.

Out of interest, what clubs in England do you consider bigger than Sunderland?

Top flight champions. Look up our history. Our support is not even comparable.

Bullshit. We still averaging 40,000+ bottom of league with 2 points. You's could only dream of support like that.

Thought they'd won the top flight more than us? I'd say they're the bigger club like, not that it makes any difference nowadays, both well below where they should be

1 behind them. Still say we are bigger club.

Suppose it's that age old debate about what makes a big club (and people tend to choose whichever measures most benefit their side!). For me support and history are probably the two main things. Villa have a significant edge in terms of history (one more league title, 5 more FA cups, they've won the league cup 5 times and of course they've won the European cup), they've also won all but the FA cup more recently than us. In terms of support we have the edge and still get ridiculous attendances considering how bad the football has been for years.

Personally i think both are massive clubs, but I think I'd give villa the edge simply because of how much they've won. In modern times mind we're both pretty minor, albeit villa have had some European football relatively recently.

Suppose it's that age old debate about what makes a big club (and people tend to choose whichever measures most benefit their side!). For me support and history are probably the two main things. Villa have a significant edge in terms of history (one more league title, 5 more FA cups, they've won the league cup 5 times and of course they've won the European cup), they've also won all but the FA cup more recently than us. In terms of support we have the edge and still get ridiculous attendances considering how bad the football has been for years.

Personally i think both are massive clubs, but I think I'd give villa the edge simply because of how much they've won. In modern times mind we're both pretty minor, albeit villa have had some European football relatively recently.
Good post. Still think we are bigger club though. When the going gets tough we still turn out in numbers home and especially away. Only remember Villa selling out up here on 2 occasions. League cup game: free travel and Gus Poyets last game up here: free travel again.

As a matter of interest, which one of these trophies do you think you've won more times than Villa?

league cup
FA cup
League
European cup
European super cup.

Oh yes-You get a few thousand more fans from a 200 mile catchment area. All hail the saving grace.
Villa has more fans global, no debate there. Just get back to the PL instead of screwing around in the C.

Out of interest, what clubs in England do you consider bigger than Sunderland?
Only two: Man United and Villa.
London doesn't matter to me :)

Only remember Villa selling out up here on 2 occasions. League cup game: free travel and Gus Poyets last game up here: free travel again.

That's tough talk for a club well known to give out free tickets at schools all over the north to attract attendance.

Sad but true. We have a very good fan base and a great history prior to 1950s but with every passing year our claim to be a big club becomes less. In another 100 years can we still hark back to the days when we used to win the league regularly when there were 14 or so professional clubs?

Sad but true. We have a very good fan base and a great history prior to 1950s but with every passing year our claim to be a big club becomes less. In another 100 years can we still hark back to the days when we used to win the league regularly when there were 14 or so professional clubs?
Villa are a bigger club than us, but their support is pitiful.

Villa are a bigger club than us, but their support is pitiful.
One of the top 10 supported teams in England and you call it pitiful? Where does that leave the other 80 odd? 4,000+ to Reading last Tuesday is hardly pitiful considering they'd won 3 games in 14 months prior to that. 5,600 to Preston the away game before wasn't too bad either. The only pitiful thing as I see it is the delusions of Sunderland fans who think they're something special.

One of the top 10 supported teams in England and you call it pitiful? Where does that leave the other 80 odd? 4,000+ to Reading last Tuesday is hardly pitiful considering they'd won 3 games in 14 months prior to that. 5,600 to Preston the away game before wasn't too bad either. The only pitiful thing as I see it is the delusions of Sunderland fans who think they're something special.
Both Sunderland and Villa are special.

Your distance to every game is a huge advantage, don't forget that

Your distance to every game is a huge advantage, don't forget that
You can only deal with what is in front of you. If it's 120 miles to Preston or 90 miles to Reading, that's what it is. The way tickets sell out, I can't see another 50 miles added to the distance stopping many people going. They've just sold out Brighton on a Friday night and been given an extra 500 tickets. Villa's support is massively under rated on this forum.

:evil:Well, since the thread is titled "Claret and Blue", it might be a good time to point out that in the last hundred years Burnley have won the title more than either Sunderland or Villa ...

(Not that I would claim Burnley is a bigger club. Far from it. Better, maybe ... ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back