Catts, Rodwell, Johnson and Wickham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bent and Phillips both played for England while at sunderland.

Keegan, though, ruined Michael Gray after giving him a cap but offering him no protection when he bombed forward!

In less than 45 minutes (I think he played the whole game) it was clear that Gray had no idea if he should defend or attack!

Keegan, though, ruined Michael Gray after giving him a cap but offering him no protection when he bombed forward!

In less than 45 minutes (I think he played the whole game) it was clear that Gray had no idea if he should defend or attack!
I think that was Keegan being a crap manager rather than some conspiracy against Sunderland.

He should have been in every squad and first sub to be brought on for Shearer or Owen in competitive games. As it was he got the meaningless friendlies that featured all the other fringe players the England manager doesn't really want in his squad, that meander and go nowhere, instead of a run with the squad building up an understanding with Shearer, Owen, Beckham and Scholes.

Contrast that with Peter Crouch. Never a central player in the England squad until Liverpool sign him. Then he is instantly picked for every England squad for 12 months, and gets 12 consecutive caps. For 12 months he fails to score but gets more familiar with the squad and the level, and starts getting goals. Even then he still only scores against the minnows like Trinidad.

If you're not in the top four teams plus Liverpool and Spurs, you may have a total of 45 minutes in the "let's sub the whole team and watch the entire match go off the boil phase of a friendly.

Absolutely spot-on mate

I think that was Keegan being a crap manager rather than some conspiracy against Sunderland.

I must agree, I was not suggesting anything approaching a conspiracy, only that Keegan ruined Gray's England career because he did not allow him to play to his strengths - which had to be the reason he was selected in the first place!

Bent and Phillips both played for England while at sunderland.
Darren Bent didn't make the 2010 World Cup squad despite scoring 24 league goals (2nd only to Rooney) in the season leading up to it. Capello continually told us his squads were picked on form, regardless of who they played for and reputation. Five goal Emile Heskey went instead.

Think Johnson sees the England setup as a farce these days going by some of his comments since he's been here.

Think Johnson sees the England setup as a farce these days going by some of his comments since he's been here.
Well you would do if you were in his shoes. Bit part player for Man City, in every squad regardless. Come to sunderland and play more regularly than you've ever done. A goals and assists record to rival anyone outside of the top teams and not a sniff. Not even after one superb month in January. Players have done much less to earn a call up.

Well you would do if you were in his shoes. Bit part player for Man City, in every squad regardless. Come to sunderland and play more regularly than you've ever done. A goals and assists record to rival anyone outside of the top teams and not a sniff. Not even after one superb month in January. Players have done much less to earn a call up.

Don't blame him in the slightest, especially if Andros Townsend is in the squad ahead of him.

Yet that prick Greg Dyke singled us out for criticism regarding signing foreign players.

The FA and England can fuck off
I for one do feel offended by the way they've behaved towards us, but it doesn't matter one iota if I don't care about the England team any more. The players do, and if it affects the club's ability to keep hold of decent young English players, then I need to care. Poo pooing England won't change the attitudes at the FA.

He should have been in every squad and first sub to be brought on for Shearer or Owen in competitive games. As it was he got the meaningless friendlies that featured all the other fringe players the England manager doesn't really want in his squad, that meander and go nowhere, instead of a run with the squad building up an understanding with Shearer, Owen, Beckham and Scholes.

Contrast that with Peter Crouch. Never a central player in the England squad until Liverpool sign him. Then he is instantly picked for every England squad for 12 months, and gets 12 consecutive caps. For 12 months he fails to score but gets more familiar with the squad and the level, and starts getting goals. Even then he still only scores against the minnows like Trinidad.

If you're not in the top four teams plus Liverpool and Spurs, you may have a total of 45 minutes in the "let's sub the whole team and watch the entire match go off the boil phase of a friendly.
Top 4 or Liverpool, spurs, man united.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back