Borussia Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

If they go down they should beat the mags record for having the best average crowd in the second flight. That will piss them off..

You just wonder if Klopp's head has been turned with al of the job offers and other clubs coveting him. Maybe he's trying to make a point to the Dortmund hierarchy that he wants out.

It is sad and alarming to see them capitulate this season, an absolutely massive club with incredible supporters.
Lets be clear though Dortmund were never the massive club that they are now years ago. the likes of Bayern Munich and even Kaiserslautern, Fortuna Dusseldorf; they were the big clubs. Its only in the last 20 years or so that Dortmund have been anything flash. Up until the late 80's they had won fuckall but a couple of regional titles.

Also IIRC they are the only German club quoted on the stock exchange. With the need for shareholder profits and FFP I wonder if they have been caught out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was that him? I thought it was Thomas Tuchel who did that, I might be wrong like

Agree with your post mind, he is no way over rated although I have no idea what is going on with them this season

you're right. Klopp led Mainz from the relegation zone of the second division to the Bundesliga. Mainz spent 14 years in the 2. Bundesliga and because they missed promotion twice due to 1 or 2 goal difference on the last day of the season, they got the reputation of being "un-promotable".

Klopp failed to keep Mainz in the Bundesliga though. Tuchel was the one who took Mainz to their best ever finish.

Took 10k to leverkeusen today

I doubt that very much. Leverkusens ground only holds 30,210 so by your reckoning that's a third of the ground. The official away section has a capacity of 2,500. That means Dortmund fans would've had the away section, all of one end plus 30-40% of another stand. Having watched parts of the game, Dortmund had the usual away section and a few amongst the 'neutral' section and very few, if any, anywhere else.

I doubt that very much. Leverkusens ground only holds 30,210 so by your reckoning that's a third of the ground. The official away section has a capacity of 2,500. That means Dortmund fans would've had the away section, all of one end plus 30-40% of another stand. Having watched parts of the game, Dortmund had the usual away section and a few amongst the 'neutral' section and very few, if any, anywhere else.
Dortmund's official facebook reckons 10k

You just wonder if Klopp's head has been turned with al of the job offers and other clubs coveting him. Maybe he's trying to make a point to the Dortmund hierarchy that he wants out.

Lets be clear though Dortmund were never the massive club that they are now years ago. the likes of Bayern Munich and even Kaiserslautern, Fortuna Dusseldorf; they were the big clubs. Its only in the last 20 years or so that Dortmund have been anything flash. Up until the late 80's they had won fuckall but a couple of regional titles.

Also IIRC they are the only German club quoted on the stock exchange. With the need for shareholder profits and FFP I wonder if they have been caught out.
Up until the late 80s Barcelona had never won a European Cup and Man Utd had barely won a trophy.
Are they not big clubs?
Dortmund have the best fans in Europe, 80 odd thousand in the ground every week, have won the CL and been in a final within the last 15/16 years, won a handful of titles and German cups in that time, and even when they were finishing midtable 7/8 years ago, they still had enormous crowds...

you're right. Klopp led Mainz from the relegation zone of the second division to the Bundesliga. Mainz spent 14 years in the 2. Bundesliga and because they missed promotion twice due to 1 or 2 goal difference on the last day of the season, they got the reputation of being "un-promotable".

Klopp failed to keep Mainz in the Bundesliga though. Tuchel was the one who took Mainz to their best ever finish.

Does he have a job yet? Thought Mainz were very good to watch under Tuchel, he did a very impressive job there. I've not seen any of them this season but the Danish (?) bloke who took over seems to be doing ok but only 4 wins all season for them

Up until the late 80s Barcelona had never won a European Cup and Man Utd had barely won a trophy.
Are they not big clubs?
Dortmund have the best fans in Europe, 80 odd thousand in the ground every week, have won the CL and been in a final within the last 15/16 years, won a handful of titles and German cups in that time, and even when they were finishing midtable 7/8 years ago, they still had enormous crowds...
I'm making a point, particularly to the younguns on here that dortmund were never a club that anyone thought very much of. Clearly in the last 20 years a few clubs have risen to the surface, including Barcelona, who as you rightly point out are now seen as a hugely successful club. However they used to have the piss taken out of them by Real Madrid for decades as regards trophies. Even Manchester United, until the Premier league was formed, hadnt won the league in a quarter of a century.

Borussia Moechengladbach, when I was growing up, were a huge club that everyone had heard of. Their ground The Bokelburg was a legendary place to play football. Now you hear fuckall about them. Same with the likes of Hamburg.

It just shows you how much football ebbs and flows.

As a pointer German football is interesting in that the Bundesliga was only formed in 1963. Until then Germany was a series of regionalised leagues.

Does he have a job yet? Thought Mainz were very good to watch under Tuchel, he did a very impressive job there. I've not seen any of them this season but the Danish (?) bloke who took over seems to be doing ok but only 4 wins all season for them

He did an impressive job indeed. Somehow he is a really weird character though. I can't really put my finger on it, but although he was very successful at Mainz, he was never popular (quite the opposite of Klopp).

The end of his time here in Mainz was odd as well. As far as I remember, he still had his contract running for one more year, but he decided that he wanted a break....so he just refused to carry on managing the team. In fact, his contract with Mainz is still running until the end of this season and he can't go to a new club before someone pays him out of the contract.

He did an impressive job indeed. Somehow he is a really weird character though. I can't really put my finger on it, but although he was very successful at Mainz, he was never popular (quite the opposite of Klopp).

The end of his time here in Mainz was odd as well. As far as I remember, he still had his contract running for one more year, but he decided that he wanted a break....so he just refused to carry on managing the team. In fact, his contract with Mainz is still running until the end of this season and he can't go to a new club before someone pays him out of the contract.

Yeah I read something about that. Mainz refused to let him leave his contract so he quit, I assumed it was for another job but what you say makes sense as he is still unemployed

Strange that he was never popular though. If I remember correctly he was promoted from one of the youth sides so was already part of the club. I'm sure he'll get a decent job once his contract dispute is sorted

It says they were in Leverkusen. No mention at all of them all being in the ground. Even their own videos don't support it.

I very much doubt that of all them have been in the ground as well. And at the end of the day, it's only a 1hr trip by train from Dortmund to Leverkusen... which, most likely, has been free for anyone who wanted to go anyway.

Dortmund v Augsburg tomorrow night they'll be having nightmares about the return of Ji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back