Best crop of English midfielder's ever?

i`m not even joking when I say if Dan Neil got a half decent move in the summer, he could compete to get in that middle 3, if thats what we continnue to persist with, Rice - Neil - Bellingham.
Neil has got the makings of a half decent premier league player but I think what you’re suggesting is a stretch! 😂

We have Bellingham and Rice and that's pretty much it. Mainoo looks like he can be a great player but it's very early for him. Southgate is too much of a wimp to play Foden or Maddison in midfield.

Watching last night it struck me how many genuine high level midfielders we have in the squad. We've got arguably the best one in the world in Jude, then there's players like foden, Madison, rice, even younger lads like the lad from man utd that looks the real deal already at such a young age. We've had the odd standouts like Barnes gazza etc and amazing one offs like Robson but in my lifetime I don't think I've seen a group like the group we have at this time. It makes it even more laughable that players like Henderson and Philips get anywhere near this squad.
The good thing is we also have a striker that can play alone so can play most of em together. Defenders mind ….shite

We have Bellingham and Rice and that's pretty much it. Mainoo looks like he can be a great player but it's very early for him. Southgate is too much of a wimp to play Foden or Maddison in midfield.
Not a fan of Madison or foden like?. Foden is right up there for me like the fact pep trusts him souch now says how much he's came on.

We have a good team, but last night showed strength in depth is missing in key areas. I was impressed with Toney, so he is worth a punt, and Bowen was lively too. I like Dunk but looks like he can’t be trusted at this level. Branthwaite should get a go. Konsa and Gomez were Ok, but this is not a world class defence, and without Kane we struggle.

Not a fan of Madison or foden like?. Foden is right up there for me like the fact pep trusts him souch now says how much he's came on.
I'm a big fan but Southgate isn't going to play them in midfield. That leaves Gallagher or Henderson to play alongside Bellingham and Rice which makes us weaker in my opinion.

We have a good team, but last night showed strength in depth is missing in key areas. I was impressed with Toney, so he is worth a punt, and Bowen was lively too. I like Dunk but looks like he can’t be trusted at this level. Branthwaite should get a go. Konsa and Gomez were Ok, but this is not a world class defence, and without Kane we struggle.
Totally agree.
Defence is ok but no more and, aside from Kane, England are ordinary up front.
QF at best. Perhaps further, if Kane is fit and they set up to attack. Sadly, we know that won’t happen.

Watching last night it struck me how many genuine high level midfielders we have in the squad. We've got arguably the best one in the world in Jude, then there's players like foden, Madison, rice, even younger lads like the lad from man utd that looks the real deal already at such a young age. We've had the odd standouts like Barnes gazza etc and amazing one offs like Robson but in my lifetime I don't think I've seen a group like the group we have at this time. It makes it even more laughable that players like Henderson and Philips get anywhere near this squad.
Sitting midfielders or box to box there's only Rice who is top rank. The other ( sitter) is up for grabs as we're struggling there. The 3 behind the striker yes we have a plethora of talent but they aren't midfield players really, more wingers, no10s or inside forwards. Bet Henderson starts first game. You watch.

Thought they looked pretty good last night. Some lovely fluid moves. Mainoo rice and Bellingham with foden dropping in aswell 👍 also thought Bowen did himself no harm at all. Solid game

i`m not even joking when I say if Dan Neil got a half decent move in the summer, he could compete to get in that middle 3, if thats what we continnue to persist with, Rice - Neil - Bellingham.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

People say this forum/our fans don’t overrate out players. Christ man.

People seriously don’t understand levels do they, Dan Neil hasn’t even show he can do it at the bottom of the premier league, yet you think he can get in the England squad, not only they but actually start 😂😂

Far too many times international teams try and shoehorn the best 11 players into a side and expect it to work. It very rarely works.

If your having a 3 man centre midfield you need a mix. 2 CDMs are a waste of time, too negative. 2 attacking ones , for example Bellingham and Maddison and you`d get shredded by the better teams. You need a CDM , an attacking option and basically a grafter. Presumably Gallagher will get that role seeing as Southgate appears to have ditched the 2 CDM approach.

IF Dan Neil got a move to a decent Prem team in the summer and did canny, I could see him playing that role in the future. Dont understand why peoples pissing themselves about it :lol: Hes got a competent skill set, if he proves it at a higher level like I said in my OP he would have a chance. I`m envisaging him playing a role a bit like John McGinn plays for Scotland, box to box.

:cool:

Picking that Mainoo kids a joke. Lads played 12 games or something for Man U and 2 for England.

Last edited:
Far too many times international teams try and shoehorn the best 11 players into a side and expect it to work. It very rarely works.

If your having a 3 man centre midfield you need a mix. 2 CDMs are a waste of time, too negative. 2 attacking ones , for example Bellingham and Maddison and you`d get shredded by the better teams. You need a CDM , an attacking option and basically a grafter. Presumably Gallagher will get that role seeing as Southgate appears to have ditched the 2 CDM approach.

IF Dan Neil got a move to a decent Prem team in the summer and did canny, I could see him playing that role in the future. Dont understand why peoples pissing themselves about it :lol: Hes got a competent skill set, if he proves it at a higher level like I said in my OP he would have a chance. I`m envisaging him playing a role a bit like John McGinn plays for Scotland, box to box.

Picking that Mainoo kids a joke. Lads played 12 games or something for Man U and 2 for England.
He will be lucky to ever play one game for England.

I know it's pretty mad to pick a kid that's played 12 games but he does look a bit special mind. Think he has options to sort maybe a play to turn his head to playing for England ahead of others.

Probably why Michael Carrick is probably the most underrated midfielder of all time. Too many people talking about Gerrard Lampard and Scholes, meanwhile Gerrard Lampard and Scholes are talking about Carrick.

Proper deep lying playmaker, not the best tackler in the world but quietly did his job.

Back