Best crop of English midfielder's ever?

Mackemansj1

Striker
Watching last night it struck me how many genuine high level midfielders we have in the squad. We've got arguably the best one in the world in Jude, then there's players like foden, Madison, rice, even younger lads like the lad from man utd that looks the real deal already at such a young age. We've had the odd standouts like Barnes gazza etc and amazing one offs like Robson but in my lifetime I don't think I've seen a group like the group we have at this time. It makes it even more laughable that players like Henderson and Philips get anywhere near this squad.

Doesn’t really matter when we’re stuck with a negative, dull, yes man like Southgate.

Also Henderson :lol::lol::lol::lol: he’s absolutely finished man. Some of our fans just can’t let a love-in go though.

Lampard Gerrard Scholes Beckham all featured in squads together.

At the time any of them could have played in any team in the world arguably. Granted there isn't that much variety between 3 out of the 4.

Nice blend if he continues his development curve. Nice mix in them 3 of defensive, box to box and attacking :cool:

That 3rd CM spot is up for grabs imo. Got the likes of Connor Gallager, Kalvin Phillips, Henderson etc scrapping it out for it at the minute

edit
should say i think the likes of maddison / foden / grealish etc would always play further forwards

Last edited:
Nice blend if he continues his development curve. Nice mix in them 3 of defensive, box to box and attacking :cool:

That 3rd CM spot is up for grabs imo. Got the likes of Connor Gallager, Kalvin Phillips, Henderson etc scrapping it out for it at the minute

I hope you’re right marra, but I think it’s a long old way off, unless he moves to one of Southgate’s ‘darling’ clubs.

Have to disagree with the Henderson comment, even as I agree in the main.

Players like Foden and Bellingham are generational talents and it says something that a player of Maddison’s creativity has to settle for being an understudy.

But they are all attacking midfielders. Rice is an outstanding player as well, but after him the squad gets very thin, very quickly.

Now - the Man United kid looks to be some player. But having to rely on an 18 year old who has played less than 30 games of football as your first choice central midfielder tells its own story. He’s good enough, but he’s there through weakness as well: a young striker of that ability wouldn’t be starting because we have quality and experience there.

Henderson will still go and he should imo. Phillips is out the squad, but it’s only recently that this has become the right call. He was very good for England last Euros. People have short memories.

The squad isn’t deep in this position. The four will probably be: Rice, Mainoo, Henderson and Alexander-Arnold.

A kid, a veteran, a right back and Rice. Says it all. This is the best team we’ve had for a while, but it’s still massively overhyped and overrated by England fans.

Last edited:
Have to disagree with the Henderson comment, even as I agree in the main.

Players like Foden and Bellingham are generational talents and it says something that a player of Maddison’s creativity has to settle for being an understudy.

But they are all attacking midfielders. Rice is an outstanding player as well, but after him the squad gets very thin, very quickly.

Now - the Man United kid looks to be some player. But having to rely on an 18 year old who has played less than 30 games of football as your first choice central midfielder tells its own story. He’s good enough, but he’s there through weakness as well: a young striker of that ability wouldn’t be starting because we have quality and experience there.

Henderson will still go and he should imo. Phillips is out the squad, but it’s only recently that this has become the right call. He was very good for England last Euros. People have short memories.

The squad isn’t deep in this position. The four will probably be: Rice, Mainoo, Henderson and Alexander-Arnold.

A kid, a veteran, a right back and Rice. Says it all. This is the best team we’ve had for a while, but it’s still massively overhyped and overrated by England fans.
Exactly, no surprise we actually did better when there was no expectation. Now even though we have the shittest, slowest defence I have ever seen and only 1 good striker we are somehow class again.

We’ve certainly got the players available in midfield to compete with anyone in Europe. Southgate’s problem will be assembling a defence capable of holding out against the top sides once England progress to the latter stages of the tournament. That and keeping his fingers crossed Harry Kane stays fit.

Pity we don't have any strength in depth at CB.
CB is the main concern, at international football you need one CB who is very quick, England need to find the right partner for Stones, but Southgate has persisted with Mguire....
The other main concern is CF, without Harry Kane England are goosed.
In saying all that, this team has some real talent....England have the players to win the Euros...need a bit of luck and Southgate to be brave, which has failed to be when needed in the past.

Unsure if it's the way we play or Foden himself, but I don't think he does enough at times when given a chance for England. Of course he has to play, he's one of the best midfielders in the world.
CB is the main concern, at international football you need one CB who is very quick, England need to find the right partner for Stones, but Southgate has persisted with Mguire....
The other main concern is CF, without Harry Kane England are goosed.
In saying all that, this team has some real talent....England have the players to win the Euros...need a bit of luck and Southgate to be brave, which has failed to be when needed in the past.
White's been playing well. I would have expected him to play had he not turned down the chance, but them again Maguire seems to be a favourite of Southgate.

Last edited:

Back