Best console ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh the nes was a massive leap if you're looking at an atari.

Yep. Lumped that in with the Mega Drive as they were around the same "era"?

Supposed to find the "best" you have to say what indicates one is the best. Is it sales? Games? Groundbreaking? Fun?

The best console at the moment will be the new PS and Xbox's as they simply have the best hardware in them and capabilities. Much like my "best" computer will always be my Speccy 48k, but the actual best is my current PC.

Reactions: PTR

Sensible Soccer on the Amiga was the best time I have ever had playing a game.

Daley Thompson's decathlon on the Spectrum closely followed by Football Manager and Kickstart.

Bombjack on the PS1.

Reactions: PTR
Ps1 was the biggest jump in quality. 3d graphics etc

The PS2 was very under powered but it's library was immense and sold so many due to it being a cheap DVD player.
Over powered compared to what?

Under powered I mean

Last edited:
Xbox 360 for me.

Xbox live the days before party chat were unreal man.

COD 4 hardcore search and destroy, arguing with bell ends all night, wind ups, having a laugh on with your mates.

The first gears of war and the introduction of pro clubs and ultimate team on Fifa.

Gaming hasn't been the same since for me.

PS2. So many quality games.

GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, The Getaway, Gran Turismo 3 and 4, Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos theory and double agent....

Xbox 360 for me.

Xbox live the days before party chat were unreal man.

COD 4 hardcore search and destroy, arguing with bell ends all night, wind ups, having a laugh on with your mates.

The first gears of war and the introduction of pro clubs and ultimate team on Fifa.

Gaming hasn't been the same since for me.

Have to agree that the 360 sort of drew a line in the sand for me so now I tend to think of consoles as before online gaming and after. I did play the odd game online on PS2 but it was nothing like the 360

Hours and hours on COD4 saying "just one more game" and before you knew it it was 4 in the morning and you had to get up for work in a few hours

Its sad when people think COD is somehow the pinnacle of video gaming across 30 years.
Well it's probably true for most people.

Class crack playing hardcore search and destroy on cod4 with your pals on game chat getting slowly pissed into the early hours of the morning :cool:

Well it's probably true for most people.

Class crack playing hardcore search and destroy on cod4 with your pals on game chat getting slowly pissed into the early hours of the morning :cool:
I enjoyed a bit of COD online too. But in terms of the best games ever made, its not even a contender.

PlayStation 1 was the biggest step up in quality from the older generation consoles, also must of been the easiest bit of kit in the world to chip and buy copied games for! Still loved me megadrive mind

I had a ps1 within a few weeks of it coming out

It was like something from another planet, arcade machine graphics, the lot

It's not literally the best console.
It's the best console at the time it was out.
The SNES, for library alone, defecates all over any of the current consoles.

XB1. This clamour for retro machines is baffling TBH.
Pure gameplay back in the day, and games were usually QA tested and playable from the off. Nowadays the industry is a sham.

The SNES, for library alone, defecates all over any od the current consoles.

Pure gameplay back in the day, and games were usually QA tested and playable from the off. Nowadays the industry is a sham.
In fairness, the amount of "data" in a modern game is (possibly) millions of times larger.

In fairness, the amount of "data" in a modern game is (possibly) millions of times larger.
The industry has grown accordingly. There is no excuse for some of the debacles of recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back