Benedict Cumberbach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought not but didn't know if the argument would be that if the person was white, you typically would describe them first by height, hair color etc and not on colour

My brother in law is black. My wife's best mate's boyfriend is black. If I were trying to point either of them out in a crowd and he was the only black bloke in a group, I would say the black bloke to save time. If the two of them were stood together and I wanted to point one of them out, I would say my brother in law is the taller one with the glasses.

Spastic was a perfectly good word until nasty people used it and other got offended by people using it as a nasty word.

What is the intention of the person using the word is the crux of the issue. IMHO.

What about coloured pencils?

Pencils of colour is, I believe, the correct terminology

I thought not but didn't know if the argument would be that if the person was white, you typically would describe them first by height, hair color etc and not on colour

I was just unsure when describing an individual person, and not a group as a whole as he was. But yes my understanding is coloured is a no go and has been for a long time now

If the population of Mali became about 5% white it would be the same

"The White bloke" etc

I was just unsure when describing an individual person, and not a group as a whole as he was. But yes my understanding is coloured is a no go and has been for a long time now

you may be right like
Having made an unreserved apology for a perceived racial slur against Tiger Woods, when the Spaniard said he would invite the American round for dinner and serve him fried chicken, Garcia must have been hoping that was the end of the matter.
However, European Tour chief executive George O'Grady had other ideas and managed to reignite the row during an interview with Sky Sports.
Explaining why the Tour had not taken disciplinary action against Garcia over the fried chicken remark, O'Grady insisted that the Spaniard was not racist and breezily announced that "most of Sergio's friends happen to be coloured athletes in the United States".

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/golf/racism-sport/53222/tiger-woods-sergio-garcia-race-row-george-o-grady#ixzz3Q3jFbqe7

If the population of Mali became about 5% white it would be the same

"The White bloke" etc
Sort of like London then?

only joking...tin hat on

My brother in law is black. My wife's best mate's boyfriend is black. If I were trying to point either of them out in a crowd and he was the only black bloke in a group, I would say the black bloke to save time. If the two of them were stood together and I wanted to point one of them out, I would say my brother in law is the taller one with the glasses.
If that was in the forces and you were overheard that could me misconstrued as racist.
Of course, it isn't racist, we all know that. It's the paranoia surrounding the subject that makes it so dangerous

Last edited:
you may be right like
Having made an unreserved apology for a perceived racial slur against Tiger Woods, when the Spaniard said he would invite the American round for dinner and serve him fried chicken, Garcia must have been hoping that was the end of the matter.
However, European Tour chief executive George O'Grady had other ideas and managed to reignite the row during an interview with Sky Sports.
Explaining why the Tour had not taken disciplinary action against Garcia over the fried chicken remark, O'Grady insisted that the Spaniard was not racist and breezily announced that "most of Sergio's friends happen to be coloured athletes in the United States".

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/golf/racism-sport/53222/tiger-woods-sergio-garcia-race-row-george-o-grady#ixzz3Q3jFbqe7

Sort of like London then?

only joking...tin hat on

If that was in the forces and you were overheard that could me misconstrued as racist.
Of course, it isn't racist, we all know that. It's the paranoia surrounding the subject that makes it so dangerous

Ill-informed paranoia. How much of a problem would any of this be if we took all the HR departments in the country out to the woods and shot them?

Ill-informed paranoia. How much of a problem would any of this be if we took all the HR departments in the country out to the woods and shot them?
Fine idea :lol:
Its very obvious that in the golf incident O'Grady wasn't being racist. If someone wants to find racism and looks hard enough they will though

Fuckinell, 11 pages already. :lol:

What are you talking about? Black people like being called black because they're black. If that's what black people want to be called then what's the problem?
They're not though, are they? Vast majority appear to be some shade of brown to me. I'm nee biologist, but from my admittedly limited understanding of skin pigmentation, isn't 'coloured' a far more accurate description than 'black'?

The issue with the word coloured is that it has always had at least some negative connotations around it.
Not at all like the word 'black' then, which is irredeemably linked with evil and all sorts of negativity. :lol:

As someone said earlier, give it ten years and people will be getting hauled over the coals for calling people black. As if it really fvcking matters.

They're not though, are they? Vast majority appear to be some shade of brown to me. I'm nee biologist, but from my admittedly limited understanding of skin pigmentation, isn't 'coloured' a far more accurate description than 'black'?

Not at all like the word 'black' then, which is irredeemably linked with evil and all sorts of negativity. :lol:

As someone said earlier, give it ten years and people will be getting hauled over the coals for calling people black. As if it really fvcking matters.
This
As I said in another thread..... offence cant be given, it can only be taken.
If someone is determined to take offence than at some point they will regardless of what we say

The problem is that coloured implies 'otherness to white' and that white is the default and the norm.

If you describe someone as 'black' or 'Asian' then you're describing them specifically, which is fine.

The problem is that coloured implies 'otherness to white' and that white is the default and the norm.

If you describe someone as 'black' or 'Asian' then you're describing them specifically, which is fine.
what if they are neither black or Asian though?
imo "the brown bloke" sounds worse than the coloured bloke

You describe people by distinguishing features. I'd probably go for 'tall black guy' or some other feature rather than the black guy.

I'm assuming she's never heard of rap or Motown to name two obvious music genres dominated by black people.

Was this woman white by any chance?
Not forgetting Funk, Disco, Blues, Soul and Ska all music of Black origin and loved by millions and celebrated and played across the world.

f***ing pathetic. Im sure a few years ago "coloured" was the PC word of choice, now you get castigated even if you say innocently. Theres a lot of shite about racism nowadays, i wish people would be offended by intent, not words. If he didnt mean to offend (which he obviously didnt) then just move on.

I think in the `70`s on the news and other TV shows it was the term that was used and "black" was considered the more offensive phrase BUT I think "coloured" has connotations with South African apartheid and prejudice in the deep south of America which is why it`s not used now however I think the context of the word should be considered as Cumberbatch was promoting diversity and wanting greater opportunities for ethnic people in the film industry and the context he was using it in was positive not racist I think.

Nor man, your hypothetical persons of colour that are neither black nor Asian. Pacific Islanders? What?
People have been interbreeding (for want of a better word) for centuries. It's, literally, not a black and white issue

I think in the `70`s on the news and other TV shows it was the term that was used and "black" was considered the more offensive phrase BUT I think "coloured" has connotations with South African apartheid and prejudice in the deep south of America which is why it`s not used now however I think the context of the word should be considered as Cumberbatch was promoting diversity and wanting greater opportunities for ethnic people in the film industry and the context he was using it in was positive not racist I think.
this
bt some wanted to see racism where it obviously wasn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back