Backing out of a verbal job offer agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its not a ***** trick at all to back out. You have to look out for number 1. There's no lack on integrity in doing what you want, you owe no one nout.

I'm going through a similar situation at the min, had a job offer which I accepted verbally, and in the mean time I was contacted by a former employer offering me a new position. Went and had an informal discussion about going back and said I'd think about it. I've thought about it and decided to stick to the first offer cause it's better. I was prepared to change my mind though, gotta do what you gotta do.

Most people appreciate honesty, you haven't wasted much of their time at all at this point, what happens 6 months into your job and you hate it and leave, they then have to replace you and train up another member of staff cause you were scared of upsetting some pleb in recruitment who can't even remember what you look like who's sole responsibility is to deal with situations like this multiple times per day

Recruitment teams won't be arsed. The hiring manager might be if he's spent money on 6 months of wages, training, expenses and the initial recruitment campaign.

Seen it happen hundreds of times, if the hiring manager has done his job properly, he'll have a reserve ready just in case this happens.

We need to make the decision for the OP

Just need company names and offered packages.:cool:

Recruitment teams won't be arsed. The hiring manager might be if he's spent money on 6 months of wages, training, expenses and the initial recruitment campaign.

Seen it happen hundreds of times, if the hiring manager has done his job properly, he'll have a reserve ready just in case this happens.

Hiring manager in this case is head of development management and will be my boss if I sign the contract. Makes it slightly more awkward.

Cheers for all the advice, definitely given me something to think about. I didn't realise that going back on your word was fairly common and accepted (wey, maybe not quite accepted) as it is.

Not done it myself but I've seen it happen. One place I wasn't happy a senior position had been left vacant and was assured they had a guy lined up, just working on the finer points and we'll announce it. In the end he stayed where he was.

As others have said, I think employers will understand as long as you don't drag it out. Until contracts are signed neither party has any obligation to the other.

Hiring manager in this case is head of development management and will be my boss if I sign the contract. Makes it slightly more awkward.

Cheers for all the advice, definitely given me something to think about. I didn't realise that going back on your word was fairly common and accepted (wey, maybe not quite accepted) as it is.

there's being true to your word and then there's needlessly putting yourself in a position you don't want to be in for a length of time for the sake of keeping your word

Sack it off if you feel like there's a better opportunity. Just be courteous and honest and no one will think any less of you in the slightest

Anyone got experience of this from either side of the table?

I've been offered a job with Company A and agreed over the phone I'd take it. Now though I've been offered a better position at Company B which I'd rather take (better pay/perks/prestige/location).

What's the best way to worm out of job A? Or shall I just stick to my word and take the first job? Does this make me a shit person? :lol:

All advice and abuse welcomed. If there is anyone in town planning on here then a PM would be appreciated.
Phone up company A and say you have decided against their offer.
Simple

What are they going to try - to force you to work for them. No chance. To sue you for losses - cannot see the loss as they'll have other candidates. In reality there's nowt Company A can do. As Topcat says, just phone up or email and tell them you've changed your mind and they can shove the job up their fucktrumpets. (Well maybe not the last bit).

Just ignore company A - don't sign a contract, don't answer your phone - they'll get the message after a few days/weeks...

What are they going to try - to force you to work for them. No chance. To sue you for losses - cannot see the loss as they'll have other candidates. In reality there's nowt Company A can do. As Topcat says, just phone up or email and tell them you've changed your mind and they can shove the job up their fucktrumpets. (Well maybe not the last bit).

I've already sorted it in person. Cheers though.

I started a job on the Monday, got a telephone call about an hour later offering me a job I'd interviewed for the week before. Felt a right bellend telling my boss of a few hours I wouldn't be stopping but as others have said, look after yersel because noone else will.

Cant believe you even have to question it.

Are you saying you'd seriously consider taking a shitter job just because they would otherwise have wasted a little time & money in recruiting you. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back