Auschwitz 70 Years On.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went Just over a year ago with my Dad who lost most his extended family to Auschwitz. He had 2 half aunties who survived who I met when I was a kid. I was young and they were old. I remember their tattoos.

We hired a guide to take us round who was very professional if a bit sterile. Ive been brought up with the holocaust and to be honest being there didn't make it more real for me (no more real than as a child being terrified the Nazis would get me). If anything I walked away feeling a bit taller that I was still there and could walk out the gates. The final solution did not work. They did not wipe us out, or gays, of people with disabilities, or gypsies, or people with differing political views etc.

What did upset me (more than it should have in such a place) was at the end just chatting to the Polish guide about football, I found out he supported the Mags.

It was on Channel 4 on Saturday so will probably be available on their iplayer thing. It might also be repeated on More4 too.

Watched yesterday on C4OD and didn't think it contained anything I hadn't seen before.

Then continued with "Auschwitz: The Forgotten Evidence" which I thought was far more "chilling".

Have been to The Killing Fields outside of Phnom Penh and S21 , to think it was the mid 70s the Khmer Rouge killed possibly 2.5 million .

Tuol Sleng is grim, the former school is left fairly much as it was..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back